Sign in with
Your question

Gtx 590 for christmas or wait for gtx 6xx/amd 7xxx?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 28, 2011 2:10:19 AM

That's my debate because my knowledge is that the new gpu's are being released q1 of next year and it'd be pretty dumb to get a 590 for a month and then have the equivalent priced next generation gpu be released. Thoughts on that?
a b Î Nvidia
November 28, 2011 2:16:38 AM

Will you be getting it for free? If so I'd just take it. It will probably be on par with the GTX 680 just as the 295 is on par with the 480.

Now if you are paying for it, then I'd wait.
m
l
November 28, 2011 2:21:06 AM

Helltech said:
Will you be getting it for free? If so I'd just take it. It will probably be on par with the GTX 680 just as the 295 is on par with the 480.

Now if you are paying for it, then I'd wait.

I'm probably going to be the one paying for this one in the end. Thanks for that opinion, I'll take more too.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
November 28, 2011 2:22:16 AM

Well yeah, I find it hard to be buying a GPU right now with both sides coming out with new cards SO soon. Itching for an upgrade myself. I mean if you were getting it for christmas (as a present) then I would take it. But yeah...
m
l
November 28, 2011 2:32:53 AM

from the rumors and Nvidia and AMD roadmaps
the high end cards are not coming out for awhile like almost second half of 2012
and it is going to be a long time before a 590 is pushed to its limits LOL
so I say get the 590 unless you dont mind waiting about six months
remember there is a difference between a paper launch (reviewers getting reference cards) and actual cards hitting retail
with almost any electronics you can get caught in the "waiting for something better"
trap
usually just want to get the best you can afford at the time
and the 590 is the best
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 28, 2011 2:40:07 AM

Hmm so its not going to be like the 400 or 500 series? The 480 was the launch card for the 400 series, and the 580 was the launch card for the 500 series. Actually the 280 was the launch card for the 200 series. I hope they don't change it up now. :( 

If the 680 is the launch card for the 600 series, and if history repeats itself. The 680 should be on par with the 590. Like the 480 was on par with the 295.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
November 28, 2011 2:46:19 AM

according to the rumors i heard, amd's pitcairn xt (are those the mid range cards?) will come out in april while high end tahiti xt will debut in jan 2012 right after mobile version of radeon hd 7xxx comes out. some thing like this: at first the mobile gpus, then tahiti xt, tahiti pro, thames...(?), pitcairn xt and pitcairn pro... something like that. i get easily confused by tach brands' naming schemes, so i apologize in advance.
haven't heard anything about nvidia's 6xx... one time i read that they will come out in q3 2012. another time, tsmc is having problems with nvidia's 28 nm gpus. yet another time, 6xx series will debut in jan 2012. you're better off looking into toms kepler and southern islands rumor threads for more info.
m
l
November 28, 2011 3:21:14 AM

Do you guys think I should go with Nvidia or AMD if I get it this year and which if I go next year (if the AMD is being released in January I might go for that but I favor Nvidia)

I suppose another option is buy a 590 now and wait for them to drop in price around my birthday and request that as a present. Hook them up in SLI and maybe they will last me till Maxwell comes out.
m
l
November 28, 2011 3:34:00 AM

The higher end nVIDIA cards won't be out till the end of next year, accord to their recently release road-map. The sweet spot cards are said to be released by the middle of next year and I am going to go out on a limb and say that a GTX 590 will still be better than those. If I were you, purchase a GTX 570 or 580 to satisfy your gaming needs for a year and when the higher end video cards arrive, purchase one if you feel like you need to.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
November 28, 2011 4:41:02 AM

Warmacblu said:
The higher end nVIDIA cards won't be out till the end of next year, accord to their recently release road-map.

honestly i don't believe those road-map. let's say amd flagship will come out this january and nvidia will only offer something similar in term of performance after 1 year? :na:  we really need more info about this. one thing that catch my attention was the rumor also saying that the upcoming flagship from nvidia will consume more power than current GTX580. the chip is still a year away and they already know how the chip will consume when its coming out at the end of 2012? :heink: 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
November 28, 2011 4:52:31 AM

renz496 said:
honestly i don't believe those road-map. let's say amd flagship will come out this january and nvidia will only offer something similar in term of performance after 1 year? :na:  we really need more info about this. one thing that catch my attention was the rumor also saying that the upcoming flagship from nvidia will consume more power than current GTX580. the chip is still a year away and they already know how the chip will consume when its coming out at the end of 2012? :heink: 

flagship 6xx will consume more power than previous gen!? i read that kepler (and southern islands too) is aiming for power-performance efficiency. damn rumors.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 28, 2011 8:47:30 AM

Don't believe anything you read about cards that haven't even had a paper launch, it's just speculation. If you wanna game now , get it now, otherwise you will just keep waiting for the next best thing over and over again , the 680 will come out , then you will say i'll wait for the 690 and so on...
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
November 28, 2011 8:53:14 AM

^+1

but i know certain people that will never satisfied with what they have. he buy x card today and three months later y card coming out. then he/she will rant about why he not waiting for another 3 months so he can get more performance and more 'bang for buck' :lol: 
m
l
November 28, 2011 2:05:50 PM

and seriously
what games push a 590 to its limits?
also the OP stated they could get a second one a little later to SLI
I dont think Nvidia is putting any single card that can beat a SLId 590 setup
for quite a LONG time LOL
m
l
November 28, 2011 7:35:09 PM

gtx 590 best card ever...
m
l
November 28, 2011 10:42:04 PM

renz496 said:
^+1

but i know certain people that will never satisfied with what they have. he buy x card today and three months later y card coming out. then he/she will rant about why he not waiting for another 3 months so he can get more performance and more 'bang for buck' :lol: 

I haven't actually been caught in one of those types of things (not really wanting too either) I'm just asking because some people say it's coming out next month, some next year, some end of next year ect.

Anyway, thanks for all of the suggestions, I think I'm probably going to buy a 590 now and have another one maybe around marchish and that should last me for a while hopefully till maxwell
m
l
November 28, 2011 11:14:13 PM

good choice
a little bit jealous :) 
but good choice LOL
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 28, 2011 11:19:10 PM

king smp said:
and seriously
what games push a 590 to its limits?

Lots of games if you run at extreme resolutions and/or need smooth high FPS for gaming in 3D.
m
l
November 29, 2011 12:46:25 AM

Helltech said:
Lots of games if you run at extreme resolutions and/or need smooth high FPS for gaming in 3D.

good point

if you are doing 5760x1080 three screen setups or 30 inch screen 3d etc
you are very right
but the OP will hopefully go dual 590 so shouldnt be an issue
if their is a game you cant play with dual 590s then really probably not meant to play it LOL

and also I dont think the next generation is going to be a dramatic improvement
maybe 20 percent in the best case scenario
m
l
!