Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New build, beeps once, no video.

Last response: in Systems
January 27, 2012 11:37:40 AM

hello, im a first time pc builder and a long time pc user.

i just finished building my new pc and as far as i can tell it should work, all new parts, list below;

motherboard: asus P8Z68-V LE
cpu: intel core i5 2500K
ram: G. Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR (ddr3 1600mhz 4gb x 2)
video card: asus gtx 560Ti
psu: silverstone 750W SST-ST75F-P
HDD: seagate barracuda 2000gb
DVD drive: LG super multi dvd rewriter

problems:

if i turn the pc on after about 15-20 seconds it will do 1 beep(at which point my peripherals turn on) and then will do absolutely nothing until i turn it off.

when i try to turn it off, sometimes it will turn itself back on after about 5-10 seconds.(this has not happened for a while)

there is no video on the screen but all of my peripherals are lighting up(mouse, keyboard, headset)

info:

have tried booting with OS installer cd in the drive.

i have plugged the monitor into the motherboards vga output.

im fairly sure ive plugged in everything that needs doing, i had a problem where it wouldnt turn on because i didnt have the 8 pin connector near the cpu plugged in, and since then i went through the whole manual.

the manual didnt seem to come with a beep code inside it, or if it does, its not listed in the index.

please any help would be greatly appreciated, i would really love to avoid pulling it all apart again...

More about : build beeps video

January 27, 2012 12:59:42 PM

Do you have another graphics card you can swap out to see if it boots?
Score
January 27, 2012 1:18:06 PM

Sorry that this is not the solution you are looking for. I just want to remind you that the beeping sound doesn't give very much helpful information these days. My system has MSI H67 board, and it had two beeping sounds in the beginning, and Googling and MSI website gave me all different beeping codes. It seems that the codes published by board company (at least MSI) and BIOS company (at least American Megatrend) are very old, and not updated.

"im fairly sure ive plugged in everything that needs doing, i had a problem where it wouldnt turn on because i didnt have the 8 pin connector near the cpu plugged in, and since then i went through the whole manual. "

This sounds confusing. Did you check if the 12V 8pin connector is plugged in for CPU? Although all the connectors are keyed, somewhere I heard some people by accident put wrong connectors alternatively.
Score
Related resources
January 27, 2012 2:08:46 PM

i didnt have anything plugged in near the cpu(besides fans) and it refused to boot, so when i found out i had to put the 8 pin connector in i looked for 1 in my set of cables, the closest thing i had was a cable which split into 2 x 4pin at the end, and the split ends seem to fit the 8 pin slot perfectly.
Score
January 27, 2012 2:10:11 PM

also i bought this setup twice, so i do have another gtx 560 Ti i could replace it with, but im not using the video card with the monitor atm, the monitor is plugged into the motherboard as i assume the video card wont function until i install the drivers?
Score
January 27, 2012 2:26:53 PM

It didn't even show ASUS logo after beeping? Then I would check the power on/off switch connector on motherboard.

Or, is your monitor set up for AUTO, or either Digital/Analog? If you use DVI cable and the monitor is set on analog, it cannot display anything. VGA cable with digital the same. The best set up is AUTO.

It seems that your PSU is 100% modular. Are all the cables matching?
Score
January 27, 2012 2:35:22 PM

what do you mean by are they matching? i just used the cables that it came with, also im not sure how to tell what my monitor is(it uses the blue vga cable if that tells you anything), its a VA2213wm and i have never had a problem with it before, if i turn it off and on while the computer is on, it just says no signal and goes black.
Score
January 27, 2012 2:47:00 PM

Try the menu function on the monitor. You can find an option to switch source among AUTO/DIGITAL/ANALOG, as your TV has HDMI 1, 2, Antenna, Cable, etc. Do you use DVI cable or VGA? DVI port on motherboard can send only digital signal unless VGA adopter is attached, and VGA can send only analog. If the source setup does not match with the signal coming through, it cannot detect any signal.

I'm not familiar with modular PSU, but I thought there might be a chance that some cable could be plugged in wrong connector on PSU side. It doesn't sound like your case, though.

Score
January 27, 2012 3:02:41 PM

yea the psu came with all the cables plugged into it straight from the box lol, too easy :D . and i fiddled with the monitors settings, i couldnt find any source switch option like that or any information on what source it used. but i will continue to look and i will see what i can do, thanks for the help.
Score
January 27, 2012 3:13:34 PM

yea monitor is definitely analog according to viewsonic website. i also looked up my motherboard and it should work fine because it outputs in hdmi, dvi and RGB(which i assume is analog) and it has a slot for each type

so i can only assume that by pluging my analog monitor into the RGB slot that it should therefore work. is there any other reasons anyone can think of why this stuff is happening?
Score
January 27, 2012 3:21:37 PM

if i remember correctly if there was a problem with the GPU or it wasn't detected than it should thow up more beeps. if this still remains true than i would have to agree it somthing with the monitor connections
Score
January 27, 2012 3:22:09 PM

1st, try the onboard video after removing the graphics card, plugging that card in will often disable the onboard video by default. Also use the UEFI header on the mobo to clear it, things often get corrupted in shipping and can cause strange/inexplicable problems, and this should be done first every time before setting up a system.

2nd, strip everything down to the bare-bones. mobo, power supply, CPU, a single stick of ram, and a keyboard (no mouse, ethernet, HDD, ODD, or audio). Turn it on and see if you get into UEFI/BIOS. If not then try the other stick of ram, or try RAM in a different slot. If this does not work then it is the mobo, CPU, or RAM at fault, not the GPU.

3, if it does work, then add your optical drive (ODD), HDD, ethernet, audio, mouse, etc. Do not use any add-on cards yet (GPU, sound card, RAID cards, etc). Make sure that UEFI sees all of the hardware, and feel free to install Windows at this point if you would like. If the system does not work after these changes, start unplugging things one at a time until you find the problem piece.

4, assuming everything is good, and windows is happy with your life's choices, then start adding your extra hardware (sound card, video card, etc.). Only at this point can we really conclude that the GPU is at fault, and that it is not something else.

Best of luck!
Score
January 27, 2012 3:26:51 PM

wildybill said:
i didnt have anything plugged in near the cpu(besides fans) and it refused to boot, so when i found out i had to put the 8 pin connector in i looked for 1 in my set of cables, the closest thing i had was a cable which split into 2 x 4pin at the end, and the split ends seem to fit the 8 pin slot perfectly.

Most mobos will require both 4 pin 12v connectors to be inserted, it is only on older (core 2 duo) boards that you could get away with a single 4pin 12v connector reliably. If you do not have a power supply with the proper connector then you should order the proper power supply before continuing.
Score

Best solution

January 27, 2012 3:29:17 PM

wildybill said:
also i bought this setup twice, so i do have another gtx 560 Ti i could replace it with, but im not using the video card with the monitor atm, the monitor is plugged into the motherboard as i assume the video card wont function until i install the drivers?

the video card will default to universal settings until proper drivers are loaded, so if everything is working properly then you should get video out on the GPU. The onboard video will be disabled by default when there is a GPU present. Remove the GPU if you want to use the onboard video.
January 27, 2012 3:30:36 PM

I didn't know there are widescreen LCD monitors without DVI or HDMI input.

In that case, my speculation was wrong. Without the possibility of wrong monitor connection, other things I can think of is PSU failure/wrong power switch connector (from the case power switch to motherboard power head)/memory being set on wrong configuration (like 1&2, or 3&4, it should be 1&3 or 2&4 slots)/CPU fan not no or wrong connection. I once tried to turn on my PC without connecting the CPU fan on motherboard, and it didn't work.

If you have another PC, you may want to swap some parts to figure out if there is any lemon there. Sorry that I couldn't help.
Score
January 27, 2012 3:41:47 PM

wildybill said:
yea monitor is definitely analog according to viewsonic website. i also looked up my motherboard and it should work fine because it outputs in hdmi, dvi and RGB(which i assume is analog) and it has a slot for each type

so i can only assume that by pluging my analog monitor into the RGB slot that it should therefore work. is there any other reasons anyone can think of why this stuff is happening?

Yes, RGB and VGA are the same thing (aka 15pin d-sub), it is always analog, so there are no settings to change with that cable. Try hooking the monitor (with the same cable) to a different computer to verify that it is working properly. In actuial use I would suggest using digital DVI or HDMI (HDMI is always digital, as is display port), but if VGA is what you've got then it should work fine. There is a possibility that the cable is bad (rare, but it happens), or that the input on the monitor is bad (even rarer, but it happens). Most likely it is something with the computer itself though, but you have to plug the monitor into another machine to verify that it is working correctly.
Score
January 27, 2012 3:45:37 PM

MKBL said:
I didn't know there are widescreen LCD monitors without DVI or HDMI input.

In that case, my speculation was wrong. Without the possibility of wrong monitor connection, other things I can think of is PSU failure/wrong power switch connector (from the case power switch to motherboard power head)/memory being set on wrong configuration (like 1&2, or 3&4, it should be 1&3 or 2&4 slots)/CPU fan not no or wrong connection. I once tried to turn on my PC without connecting the CPU fan on motherboard, and it didn't work.

If you have another PC, you may want to swap some parts to figure out if there is any lemon there. Sorry that I couldn't help.

If the power supply was bad or the switch set wrong the system would not boot at all (and the system beeps once which generally means that the mobo is working properly)

Memory in the wrong configuration will still boot fine, it just will not run in duel chanel mode. You can use a mobo with any memory configuration you want, so long as the Ram, and the slots are good to begin with.

If the CPU fan is required then the mobo should turn itself off, not beep and then remain on.
Score
January 27, 2012 3:59:10 PM

It sounds like that this PC won't even boot. I might be wrong, but the initial description led me to believe that way. My previous PC used to make beep sound even when it failed to go POST, so I thought of the same symptom.

If it really boots and remains on without any display, I still suspect somewhere between the D-Sub port - cable - monitor.
Score
January 29, 2012 5:35:02 AM

hey im sorry for wasting everyones time, and i REALLY appreciate the information about gpu's becoming default output without having drivers installed, was not aware of that.

i swear thats the first place i tried connecting the monitor but i must be wrong, so anyway yea, whole computer was just booting with the gpu outputing video and im a retard :D .

first build, success, first time using it, failure.

once again, thanks, sorry.
wildbill
Score
January 29, 2012 5:36:26 AM

Best answer selected by wildybill.
Score
January 29, 2012 5:40:23 AM

also caedenv's information was just all-round interesting, your a great help and know your *** :D .
Score
January 29, 2012 1:01:00 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!