jodio

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Hello, I just cleaned my processor and applied heatsink compound on the processor. When I tried to restart my computer, my computer goes to the page mentioning windows did not start up successfully. When I start window normally, the computer will go to the xp window start up screen and immediately reboots. It will then go back to the screen mentioning windows did not start and the whole process will start again.

G

It might , but probably not, be that your motherboard isn't making correct contact with your CPU. Try taking it out and reseating it.

al360ex

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010

It think it's more likely that your CPU cooler does not make a good enough contact with your CPU, or that you applied to much thermal paste.
If I were you, I'd remove the CPU cooler and the thermal paste (with isopropyl alcohol) and reapply it. You don't need to put a lot, just a little dot in the center of your CPU.
Then make sure to firmly press your CPU cooler onto the CPU and tighten the screws correctly.

Then go in the BIOS and check the CPU temp. If it's below 30 degrees C, then its ok.
Then reboot and go into the OS. Install RealTemp and check your temps. If all the cores are under 50 degrees C then everything is ok.

Good luck,
al360ex