Beware when buying a system from Cyberpowerpc

snowkatt

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Hi all,

Just a heads up. I bought a moderately priced gaming system from Cyberpowerpc in December 2011. It arrived looking fine and ran great for a week, and then the power supply blew up. Loud pop, ozone smell, lots of heat coming out of the case.

I wasn't completely sure that all the other components had survived, so I tried to contact Cyberpowerpc for an RMA. Hah! It took me 3 days of waiting an hour on hold each time to get through to someone who could give me an RMA. I finally got smart and called the instant they opened and got through to someone.

Regarding the refund, since I had gotten 4 free games, they weren't going to take those back and were deducting $20 per game from the refund. Makes sense to not take them back, but $20 per game? oof. Minus $80. Also, they were not going to refund the first shipping to me ($75) or my shipping it back to them ($75). So, I was out $230 for the dead system.

Thank goodness I didn't get the free laser engraving on the case, because then the system is not refundable at all.

I took the bull by the horns and bought a bronze plus power supply from newegg. com. Put it in yesterday and am writing this review on the now working Cyberpowerpc system. I took a major risk, in case other components had been destroyed by the power supply blowing up.

In short, other reviews mention how terrible their XtremeGear power supplies are. If you want to take the risk and order from them, do yourself a favor and upgrade to a better power supply. Otherwise, you're dealing with difficult to reach customer service and a company that will nickle and dime you to death about freebies that they include.

Good luck!

Could you please Provide the System specs. Your power supply you chose could have been insufficent for the hardware you were running. I build all mine, so i know exactly what i am putting in it and whats running. Some people they build a system and they completely forget what they're components are in it. Me, all i have to do is look in the case and i can pretty much tell you what your mobo is (Just about down to the exact model), the memory, the GPU, The PSU and the CPU you have to know that your self, cause if you don't even know what your Processor is then you better get to researching

snowkatt

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Here are the specs - maybe the nvidia card blew the system?

Gamer Scorpius 8000 (NO MONITOR)
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Scorpius_8000

CAS: Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower Gaming Case

CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

CPU: AMD FX-4100 3.60 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology

FREEBIE_CU1: FREE! Battlefield 3 Game (AMD) [+0]
FREEBIE_CU2: FREE! DiRT 3 Game [+0]
FREEBIE_VC1: FREE Just Cause 2 Game Coupon [+0]
FREEBIE_VC2: FREE Game Coupon Batman: Arkham City [+0]

HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+69] (Single Drive)

KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard

MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)

MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX] GigaByte GA-970A-D3 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ On/Off Charge, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI

MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse

NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

OS: Microsoft(R) Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)

POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - XtremeGear Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+38] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
if you can't make one yourself then atleast buy in local store, there is reason i newer buy, heavy objects over the web premade. After shipping 19 inch CRT back, that is, payed half the price just to get my half back :(

snowkatt

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Eh, this is the fourth computer I've bought online and had shipped to me. All the others lasted 5-6 years, and I upgraded along the way. Never any problems like this.

galeener

Distinguished
That was your issue right there never buy a power supply branded xtreme gamer or the cyber power brand..
Even though some one else built the system for you you still have to do your home work on the parts your self.
If you would of bought a name brand power supply you would probably not had an issue.
You see this all the time people make sure they get the parts they want such as cpu , video sound memory then never even look at the power supply . Its the heart of the system and somethin g you should never skimp on.

And if I hear well they should have told me that power supply sucked we ll if you bought the parts your self and put that power supply in they it would be your own fault they will build what you spec as will any company that assembles pcs and sells them

I have literally posted at least a hundred times for folks not to skimp on the psu and it still happens all the time.
Does cyberpower suck in my opinion no and if you had researched that power supply on any forum you would never of purchased it to begin with.
I have 3 of their systems and my folks use another from them .
there were never any issues because I did my home work on the components.
Most companys will charge you for anything they cannot resell also so its nothing new with cyberpower its an industry wide practice

e1jahja

Honorable
May 26, 2012
Well, my experience is not much different. I purchased a laptop and after almost two months the plate cover of the dvd drive broke one of the attachment points, leaving it hanging. I contacted CyberPowerPC and got this retarded response that basically says I should have contacted them within the first 7 days after receiving the notebook to get replacement. Huh? Just to be sure I responded the drive & plate cover was fine when I received them, but I got a response saying the same thing. So, basically CyberPowerPC really provides NO warranty other than extending what each component manufacturer provides and some of them apparently only provides 7 day warranty. They offer me an RMA to ship the dvd drive that they said it is up to the manufacturer whether or not they will fix or replace. That plate cover probably cost only a dime and mailing cost is only 42 cent. I opted to just tape/glue the plate cover. Stay away from CyberPowerPC or be prepared for retarded reponses.

whalen22

Honorable
May 26, 2012
I was wondering if getting regular power supply from Cyberpower pc like upgrading to a 80 gold plus or whatever would fix this problem because i am looking to buy a gaming pc from cyberpower thanks :)

boggus77

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I Have a home built PC that I've had for five years, the only thing I've replaced is the HDDs. Went from IDEs to SATAs. I read the forums and plenty of magazine articles and "THE GOLDEN RULE" was always not to skimp on the PSU. Spend the extra money for something solid and make sure it provides sufficient power for your hardware (doesn't hurt to go a little overkill too, the extra headroom might come in handy!). This PC is my first build and it's still going strong. Although it finally is time to upgrade. My next build will definitely include a well researched PSU. Probably a Cooler Master, since they have impressed the heck out of me on this one.

vinman222

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
hey i know your probably going to laugh, i already bought it and can cancel it within ten days so i would appreciate you honest opinion .... do you think that i can OC solid with this PC

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1ET4XC

and/or trade in the case and get upgraded GPU to 670 (or AMD if you think)

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1ET4V1

thanks for your support!! any opinions on the build would be great!! water coolers ok?... now im SECOND GUESING THE PSU =/

Noah1982

Honorable
May 28, 2013
hi im getting a new gaming pc (myfirstgamingpc) from cyberpower and im a newb :p and i was wondering if all this stuff was compatible and good?

*BASE_PRICE: [+666]
BLUETOOTH: None
CAS: Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower Gaming Case (Black Color)
CASUPGRADE: None
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: None
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.50 GHz Six-Core AM3+ CPU 6MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology [+0]
CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]
ENGRAVING: None
FA_HDD: None
FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
FLASHMEDIA: None
FREEBIE_CU1: FREE DiRT Showdown Game Coupon [+0]
FREEBIE_VC: None
FREEBIE_VC2: None
GLASSES: None
HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
HDD2: None
HEADSET1: AZiO GH808 USB Circumaural Gaming Headset w/ Foldable Microphone [+43]
HEADSET2: Cooler Master Storm Sonuz Gaming Headset w/ Flexible Headband & Detachable Microphone [+0]
IEEE_CARD: None
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD1: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard [+5]
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
MONITOR: None
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None
MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AMD 970 Chipset Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ Touch Bios, Ultra Durable 2, On/Off Charge, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI
MOUSE1: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge [+4]
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 430 Watts - Corsair CX430 V2 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

galeener

Distinguished
If you are only gaming I would suggest an Intel based system you get much more return from them.
I would also suggest if going with the build you have you get a better power supply as the one you have picked is like a basic Corsair.
I would suggest at least 550 watts for a little head room if maybe adding another Video card down the road. Or any other additions.
I would also suggest at least a TX series from corsair.
Basic Rule from Cyber power always research every part you put into the build because they will build what ever you pick even if its not a stable build.
Also never use any thing from them branded cyber power or xtremegear as these are their default items and are very iffy.
Also never skimp on the power supply and save your self a ton of head and heart ache.
When you receive the system take picture of the box in case there is an issue.
Then if its ok and you open it all up take pictures of the outside and inside in case there is an issue.
Also if you order make sure you get what you paid for and there are no substitutions. They are very hard to work with if you have an issue some times.
Also if you want wireless you will have to buy a card for that or a dongle or what ever.