Wanting to use and ATX instead of TFX

mg433

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
i got a slim tower and id like to upgrade its psu and videocard. i know that a ATX wont fit into the tower but would the connectors still be compatible with the different parts in my tower if i have it outside of the tower?

That very much depends on the slim tower, was it a Dell or similar prebuild?
they used to mess the wiring around on connectors to prevent you from upgrading to a non-Dell item,
but by and large all Psu connectors are standard, and should fit the sockets, its just whether your motherboard etc is wired differently
Moto

Tech stations / test benches are pretty popular, having your psu outside the case won't cause any problems , been doing it for years

260430.jpg

Haven't given it a thought since I started running my systems this way ( Wouldn't let a client's system look like that )

Agreed

mg433

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
i thought about putting the parts of my tower into a bigger tower but i got discouraged when i saw that the mother board sets on the opposite side of the case. i;m not really sure if it mattered or not. if i were to get a bigger psu, i could eventually out the existing tower and psu out of the tower into a cage of some sort. does that bode better if i go with it?

Hi :)

This is a SAFETY issue...

Think of a child coming into your house and curiously poking a finger into an external cpu...

YOU COULD KILL THEM....

Or someone knocks it and you have at best a blown computer, at worst a house fire...and KILL SOMEONE else...

Ask someone in your family to read this post and see what THEY say...

Dont even think about it....

All the best Brett :)

mg433

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
hence why i would put it in something like a fish tank in the event that some child went into my room. so am i right in assuming that the connectors on any psu will be compatible with the rest of the parts even though the original supply was TFX and have it out since it would not fit otherwise?

Tried answering last night but toms is being funny lately,
** i got discouraged when i saw that the mother board sets on the opposite side of the case**
Doesn't make any difference where the mobo is in the case, most manufacturers put the mobo at the rear to allow the fitment of larger heatsinks.graphics cards
and yes, the plugs on Psu's follow a standardised mould these days, you'll be fine
Moto

the vague worm

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
hey my smps just got blown. it is BESTEC TFX0250D5W in vostro slim tower.can i get an ATX power supply with 400-600 watt in place of tfx n let it lie outside the cabinet,like delluser1 ?? m mostly concerned with whether the cable of atx smps will go with the cable of motherboards etc. plz help.