• Cases
  • Computers
  • Video Editing
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
May 10, 2012 5:09:05 PM

Hi,

I'm looking for some help choosing a computer case for a new build primarily to be used for video and photo editing and as my wife's computer.

I initially had looked at some of the highly rated cases on Newegg but most seem to be more gaming oriented. I asked my wife if Haf X would be acceptable and she said, "I guess so, but why does it have to look like a robot?''

So I went back to the drawing board and kind of liked the Silverstone FT02. I like the more understated look myself too. My concerns are whether the rotated motherboard design will be a problem for me as a first time builder and I've read a few sketchy reviews.

I've also considered the Antec P183 V3 although I kind of had intended to go with a full tower just for ease of building and ability to expand later.

I'd kind of like to keep the price at 200'ish (I realize the FT02 is more) with total budget for computer around 1500-2000.

Priorites are: quiet, easy to work with for 1st time builder, multiple front ports, able to expand/add hard drives, doesn't look like robot. :heink: 

Thanks for your help.

More about : quiet video editing computer case suggestions

May 10, 2012 5:27:17 PM

Almost all good cases look like robots :) 
I would recommend Antec 1200 but it really depends on what you are going to use.. maybe you will be just fine with the mid tower version, which is 902 v3. It's big enough I believe, and it's $100
m
l

Best solution

a c 158 ) Power supply
May 10, 2012 5:53:40 PM

SPCR has some great case reviews and they specialize in reviews from a noise perspective. The FT02 is one of their recommended cases. Here is their case basics and recommendations section: http://www.silentpcreview.com/Case_Basics_and_Recommend... SPCR corroborated with Antec in the design of the P180 series of cases. I have a P183 and love it from a noise isolation perspective and for the simple elegance of it's looks. A recent release from Corsair that I would love to get some time with is the Corsair 550D. A couple of reviews:
1. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-Obsidian...
2. http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4700/corsair_obsidian_...

That being said, noise from loud fans will escape any case that has holes for airflow. Selection of case fans, PSU, CPU heatsink/fan (HSF), and any potential GPU will impact your noise levels.
Related resources
May 10, 2012 5:58:26 PM

The videoguys.com recommend the Antec 1200 too.

I don't mind the look of that case or any of those high air flow, more gaming oriented cases but can they be kind of loud?

I don't think my wife will complain too much about a small red or blue robot next to her desk but I will probably hear about it if she thinks it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 10, 2012 6:22:05 PM

nottheratboy said:
I don't mind the look of that case or any of those high air flow, more gaming oriented cases but can they be kind of loud?

I don't think my wife will complain too much about a small red or blue robot next to her desk but I will probably hear about it if she thinks it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

Yes, they can be loud. You're wife may not outwardly complain about the red robot, but you don't want her cringing at the 'eyesore' computer every time she goes to sit down. If you think that she won't like it, then get her something that is more her style or something that she will like. If i had to get a pink case to make my wife happy, then i'd buy it or paint one. Thank God I haven't had to do that....yet. The point is to get her something that will make her smile -not cringe- when she sees it and thinks of you.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 10, 2012 6:27:38 PM

nottheratboy said:
How about the Antec P280 vs. the Antec P183?

They like the P280 here better than P183 I think but also mention a Fractal design case and FT02:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5090/antec-p280-when-enth...

The differences between the P183 and P280 aren't huge, but there are some improvements. I like both. The Fractal Design Define R3 is a great little case for the money, $100, and certainly worth throwing in the ring with the 550D, P280, and the P183. All of these cases have plenty of room for expansion and are spacious enough that working in them is a breeze. The FT02 is a great case...if you want to drop that amout of coin on the case.
m
l
May 10, 2012 7:34:57 PM

Rugger said:
Yes, they can be loud. You're wife may not outwardly complain about the red robot, but you don't want her cringing at the 'eyesore' computer every time she goes to sit down. If you think that she won't like it, then get her something that is more her style or something that she will like. If i had to get a pink case to make my wife happy, then i'd buy it or paint one. Thank God I haven't had to do that....yet. The point is to get her something that will make her smile -not cringe- when she sees it and thinks of you.

Yeah you're right. I probably could aim a little higher than "as long as she doesn't hate it".

On the other hand I'm not sure I could roll out much of anything computer case related and knock her socks off.
m
l
May 10, 2012 7:37:12 PM

Rugger said:
The differences between the P183 and P280 aren't huge, but there are some improvements. I like both. The Fractal Design Define R3 is a great little case for the money, $100, and certainly worth throwing in the ring with the 550D, P280, and the P183. All of these cases have plenty of room for expansion and are spacious enough that working in them is a breeze. The FT02 is a great case...if you want to drop that amout of coin on the case.

Seems like those are some good options. Kind of keep coming back to the FT02 but I agree it's a lot of money.

Will have to mull that over a bit. Thanks for the help.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 10, 2012 7:48:55 PM

Most women don't get excited over PCs. A great monitor might knock her socks off...if I was going to drop the extra coin, then I'd probably do it on the monitor, a 128GB SSD, 16GB of RAM vice 8gb for the editing, and a step up on the CPU.
Edit: Spend the extra on things she'll get a lot of use out of...extra speed and lots of quality lanscape for the editing.
Glad I could help - feel free to keep bouncing ideas!
m
l
May 10, 2012 8:55:30 PM

I like the sound of all of that and it's kind of the plan.

I was going to try to get a few specific things ironed out like case or graphics card then ask for help in the "new build' section, hopefully with most of it figured out in advance.

Thanks for all of the help.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 10, 2012 8:58:13 PM

Easy day!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 10, 2012 10:06:14 PM

i would highly recomend the fractal define r3. its very quiet and about the same as the p280 in my case
m
l
May 11, 2012 3:32:43 AM

I can only speak from my experience, and the Antec 902 v3 is quite silent. I don't hear anything unless I put the fans at maximum speed (almost never because it's not needed).
m
l
May 20, 2012 2:23:44 PM

Best answer selected by nottheratboy.
m
l
!