Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I need a NEW computer for my office.

Last response: in Systems
January 27, 2012 2:09:05 PM

I am sitting at a computer that is SO old I lie about its age. Not mine but its! I have added extra memory over the years and the monitor has long since expired and a new one flat one has replaced the old huge DELL. I do not even have the latest word on this old dinosaur. I keep downloading FREE versions until I replace this one. It is backed up in case it expires. But should I get an all-in-one? or replace it with a regular PC as they seem to be less expensive? I do like the look of the all-in-ones but many of them do not have ratings. I have a large office so I do not need a laptop here. I have an ipad for that.

More about : computer office

January 27, 2012 2:18:28 PM

Well here is some suggestions, i think the thing they would look Sleek in your office is a ALL in on, specs on most are pretty good. But if you want something for that monitor already. Build a nice rig with a side windows so when your co-workers come into the room they will be like woah what is that and you can be like, i built it!.
m
l

Best solution

January 27, 2012 3:17:12 PM

What is your budget, and what do you need?
What is in your current pc?

1) One of the best productive upgrades to a pc is the addition of a second monitor.
Preferably it should be the same size and resolution as your current one, assuming you like your current monitor.

2) You are probably using IDE based hard drive/s. They are SLOW.
Base your new pc on a SSD of some size. You will be amazed at how quick your pc will feel. 80gb should be fine for the os, some files and apps. Expect to pay $1.50 for a good one.
Look for Intel, Samsung, or crucial, in that order for reliability.
From a practical performance point of view(ie; not synthetic benchmarks) all current SSD's will perform similarly in normal activities.If you have a requirement for lots of hard drive data, then add one in whatever capacity you need.

3) A good dual core cpu will be plenty, unless you are running heavily multithreaded apps. A sandy bridge G850 will do the job for <$100.

4) The integrated graphics will do fine for dual monitors.

5) There is no need for large ATX motherboards. Look at M-ATX, or even m-ITX if case size might be an issue.
Related resources
January 27, 2012 3:18:39 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
February 3, 2012 11:46:11 PM

Best answer selected by schmuck.
m
l
!