4 Pin Motherboard with 4+4 Pin PSU

LordBlake

Honorable
May 10, 2012
My new rig won't turn on, i have already connected all the important wires ( all but the usb mic and led ones ), my lga 775 mobo only has a 4 pin slot and my psu has a 4+4 pin one, could it be the problem ?

BTW: i'm using the same case, mobo and cpu that i was using, so it has nothing to do with thermal grease, or bad cpu, heatsink or mobo install

LordBlake

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Yeah i know it fits but my concern is because one of the 4 pin connectors stays unused, so if that isn't a problem i don't know what could be the cause of the system not working.

The four pin connector that isn't used doesn't matter for your board,
if you had an 8pin block then obviously you want to plug the whole thing in,
it would function with the one 4pin, but if you have eight you would use them,
you are fine with the four pin as you only have a fourpin socket
Moto

LordBlake

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I unplugged everything and connected my old psu with all the other components, the sb_pwr light is on and green, but the system won't turn on, i seriously can't think of anything that may cause it.

LordBlake

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I unplugged everything i plugged since i started to upgrade the pc yesterday, and tryed with both the old and the new psu, it's the same pc i was using before, i just changed the gpu, the ram, and the psu, i think it has something to do with case's cables and their positioning in the mobo, my mobo is too old and too dirt for me to check if the 2 pins have names around it, but i think it doesn't, i also read that the powersw doesn't has an obligatory position, the leds and all that sort of wires aren't essential for the motherboard to power on aren't they