Need advice for buying custom made alienware system

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Alienware
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 27, 2012 4:41:32 PM

Someone is selling me this system for Rs.150,000 (Pakistan's currency)= $1666. The condition of the PC is excellent almost new. The alienware PCs are not usually available in my country. What do you recommend. Should I go for this PC or build a new custom one with personally selecting all items. I want to buy core i7 and I use 3ds max for rendering. Please help.
Please compare it with building a new core i7 3930k system. Ans also I already have a GTX 460 gpu in spare do I can use it in SLI with the following system.

ALIEN WARE AURORA ALX ( SUPER GAMING PC )

Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-3930K (Six Core, 12MB Cache) 3.2 GHz
Memory
12GB Q DDR3 SDRAM at 1600Mhz
Hard Drive
1000GB (1TB) SATA hard drive (7200RPM)
Optical Drive

Dual Layer Blu-ray Disc™ Reader (BD-ROM, DVD±RW, CD-RW) and 24X Dual-Layer Burner (DVD±RW)

Video Card
1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460
Sound Card
Internal High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio with Waves MAXX Audio Software (Standard)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Ports
Front I/O Ports
(2x) Hi-Speed USB 2.0
(1x) SuperSpeed USB 3.0
(1x) Microphone In
(1x) Headphone/Speaker Out
(1x) 19-in-1 Media Card Reader (Optional)

Rear I/O Ports
(1x) RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet
(4x) Hi-Speed USB 2.0
(1x) SuperSpeed USB 3.0
(1x) Microphone In
(1x) Line-In
(1x) Front Left/Right Speakers
(1x) Center Speaker
(1x) Rear Left/Right Speakers
(1x) Side Left/Right Speakers
(1x) SPDIF Digital Output (TOSLINK)
(1x) SPDIF Digital Output (Coax)
Slots
Internal Expansion Slots
(2x) PCI-Express x16 (electrical spec: x16/x16)
(2x) PCI-Express x1

Memory Slots
4x 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM Slots
Power
Alienware™ 875 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Chassis

Motherboard and Chassis Form Factor
MicroATX Motherboard, Mid-Tower Chassis

Color Description
Matte Stealth Black

System Dimensions
Height: 16.77" - (426mm)
Depth: 25.39" - (645mm)
Width: 9.847" - (250mm)
Average Weight: 45lbs - (20.41 Kg.)

Optional "ALX Chassis" Features
Alienware Active Venting (Height with top vents open: 17.59" (447mm))
Enhanced AlienFX™ System Lighting - 8 Lighting Zones
Slide-in, tool-less, and cable-free hard drive bays
Internal Theater Lighting
ALL ORIGNAL MICROSOFT WINDOWS & ALIENWARE SOFTWARE CDS AVAILABLE WITH PACKGE

Operating System Options
Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Windows® 7 Professional (64-bit)
Windows® 7 Ultimate (64-bit)

Alienware Command Center
AlienFX™
Thermal Controls
AlienFusion

Software Personalization Options
AlienFX™ System Colors
Personal Avatar

Processor and Core Architecture

Processor Cooling
Alienware™ High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling
Chipset Architecture
Intel® X79 Express Chipset w/ Unlocked BIOS for Overclocking, CPU Socket 2011

More about : advice buying custom made alienware system

January 27, 2012 4:57:54 PM

2498207,1,1104706 said:
Someone is selling me this system for Rs.150,000 (Pakistan's currency)= $1666. The condition of the PC is excellent almost new. The alienware PCs are not usually available in my country. What do you recommend. Should I go for this PC or build a new custom one with personally selecting all items. I want to buy core i7 and I use 3ds max for rendering. Please help.
Please compare it with building a new core i7 3930k system. Ans also I already have a GTX 460 gpu in spare do I can use it in SLI with the following system.

ALIEN WARE AURORA ALX ( SUPER GAMING PC )
Intel® Core™ i7-3930K (Six Core, 12MB Cache) 3.2 GHz
Memory
12GB Q DDR3 SDRAM at 1600Mhz
Hard Drive
1000GB (1TB) SATA hard drive (7200RPM)
Optical Drive
Dual Layer Blu-ray Disc™ Reader (BD-ROM, DVD±RW, CD-RW) and 24X Dual-Layer Burner (DVD±RW)
Video Card
1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460
Internal High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio with Waves MAXX Audio Software (Standard)

Your post could have been a lot shorter because all the info we need is this ^ and as far as this Pc looks it is pretty good except for the video card could have been a little better , like a 560Ti , 570 , 6950 or 6970. If the 460 that you already have is the same as the one in the system then that makes it much better with two cards instead of one and if you built a different one you would have to buy a 460 to match what you would have with this setup.
m
l
January 27, 2012 5:18:12 PM

Sorry for long post. I just wanted to ask that I use 3ds max for rendering and I also do gaming. Will I be able to fix any other ATX motherboard because there is micro atx board given in the system (No other micro atx board for 2011 socket is out yet).If anything bad happens because there will be no warranty. Or will I be able to over clock it (I usually don't do over clocking). And also how do you compare this motherboard with asus motherboards. Please help.
m
l
Related resources
January 27, 2012 6:56:44 PM

Being in Pakistan I don't know where you will be getting your components from and what parts are available to you. I think the best thing for you to do is to look up all the parts that you need to build your own and then compare the price and the configuration of the build to the Alienware Pc and see which is better for what you want to do.
I believe that the motherboard that is in the Alienware is a specific board built for Alienware and you might not be able to get one like it. You also would need to know if the Alienware has extra slots for an additional video card and after looking at the list from your poat it does have two x16 slots but thats it and there is not a lot of room for expansion.

ASRock X79 Extreme3 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS P9X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

MSI X79A-GD45 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Here are three motherboards that you can look at and compare to see if you would want to build your own. Asus motherboards are known for being overclocking friendly and I'm sure that the MSI and Asrock are good as well.
When doing your own build you would have the 30 days for any returns and most manufacturers have a one year warranty. Since you would be buying the Alienware Pc second hand there would be no warranty.

m
l
January 27, 2012 8:30:28 PM

Overpriced.
m
l
January 28, 2012 8:23:22 AM

Simple answer; Don't. You are paying that for little alien and silly casing that may be aesthetically pleasing, to some... But is built poorly and has the air flow architecture of a £15 case. The parts inside are always last seasons parts as well. I could build you that computer that performs better for more than half the price.
m
l
January 28, 2012 8:29:26 AM

+1 for MAtthew and Chulex
m
l
!