What is CPU intensive use? and which processor?

nerdinator

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Hi.
I was going to buy a laptop(XPS 15 is what I've decided on ,since they have only Intel Graphics Card in Inspiron).

I am not sure of which processor I want in it.
The laptop is for Internet,Videos,Images,Programming(in Java,C,C++ ..),Web Development,Video editing(using softwares like Sony Vegas),Image Editing(using Photoshop and the like),Audio Recording and Editing(using Audacity),and maybe a game like FIFA 12.

I going to have 8GB of RAM in it.

I have to choose between :
i5 2450M (2 cores ,2.5 GHz with turbo boost)
i7 2670qM(4 cores ,2.2 GHz)
i7 2760qM(4 cores, 2.4 GHz)
i7 2860qM(4 cores,2.5 GHz)

Ofcourse there are many differences.

Which might suit my purpose?
People say i7 is for CPU intensive use. What is CPU intensive use?
Any examples? Will I need a quad core for my purpose?

Thank You!

Solution
A dual core CPU will run all of those programs quite well.

But if you're doing a lot of content creation (advanced video/image/audio editing) the quad core CPU is probably the one you want.
Stick with the i7 2670QM for best value.
A dual core CPU will run all of those programs quite well.

But if you're doing a lot of content creation (advanced video/image/audio editing) the quad core CPU is probably the one you want.
Stick with the i7 2670QM for best value.

Solution

bwrlane

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
I have a similar laptop (actually the slightly bigger Dell XPS 17) and have a similar usage profile as you, with the exception that I do not program.

I do a lot of photo and video editing and for this purpose, I decided to get the quad core i7 2630QM.

Although a dual core will run all those apps reasonably well, my experience is that video editing with a dual core is a frustrating experience. (My experience with this is a Sony Vaio Z laptop with a dual core i7). The reason isn't so much due to rendering time (arguably it isn't so important whether you have to wait 60 or 90 minutes for a video to render), but real time editing. When you're editing a high definition stream and have several layers of effects, you need ALL the CPU power you can lay your hands on. Previewing your creation with a dual is likely to lead to stutter, which makes it utterly useless. This is where the Quad i7 really shines.

nerdinator

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Thank You everyone.

Looks like video ,image and audio editing are CPU intensive.
But I don't do the above all the time,only like once a month on a project.

One more thing:
Should I buy an 8 GB RAM or settle with a 4GB one?
Is it alright to buy a 6 GB RAM? I heard that they give RAM sticks of different companies which will not be compatible with all OSs.

If I were to choose between an i5 +8 GB AND i7 +4 GB which would be better?

For just occasional video/image/audio projects the i5 CPU will get the work done.

6GB is fine - Dell will make sure it's compatible.

i5/8GB vs i7/4GB: It's easy for you to add more RAM yourself.
But you can't add more CPU cores.

What prices differences are you seeing?

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

For anything other than Games, like video editing/rendering, the more the better. Provided RAM limit (laptop) and money are not constraints, go for 16GB. Your job profile needs an i7.

nerdinator

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Since the processor works directly with the RAM,using the memory in RAM...
I was wondering if i5 could actually make good use of 8 GB of RAM. Is it going to go unused?

The lowermost i7 is about a 100$ over the i5 if that was what you were asking.