January 27, 2012 5:22:02 PM

My computer will be about 2 years old this summer. My specs are:

Motherboard: ASUS 890GX
CPU: AMD 955 x4 @3.2ghz
RAM: GSKILL 8GB (4x2GB) @1600mhz
GPU: ASUS 6870 1GB
PSU: Corsair TX 750w
Case: Coolermaster HAF 932

I have noticed an increased sound coming from my PC, which I am fairly certain is coming from the PSU. I only notice the sound when my PC is on. It is similar to the ringing sound in your ears that is heard when you are in complete silence, except it has more of a high pitched sound and appears of have a very feint pulsing wave to it. That is the best that I can describe it to you.

My worry comes in that my PSU may be incorrectly powering and possibly damaging something to my PC or something of the sort, if that is even possible. My computer seems to have been running fine but I am wondering if I should get a new PSU just in case, or if there is anything else in my tower that could cause this sound?

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2012 5:29:05 PM

Sounds like you are describing "coil whine". Corsair will normally replace units with this affliction as long as the unit is still under warranty.
January 27, 2012 5:29:53 PM

I've had this problem and it was a Dying power supply.......does it increase or decrease when you use your mouse scroll wheel....mine did eventually......replaced the power supply with a new antec and no more high pitched sound
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2012 5:34:12 PM

when you ask more power like playing a high graphic does the sound get higher if the answer is yes then it's time for a new psu seem it is going to let you check your model could still on warranty fo a rma
m
l
January 27, 2012 5:39:06 PM

TY for the replies. I've noticed when I do certain things, like when certain windows are present on the screen, I get an additional whining sound that comes from the tower. I haven't noticed it increase while gaming though.

The overall whining sound has gotten more noticeable than when I first heard it a week or two ago. It's so annoying!

Guess it's time to fill out an RMA...here's to hoping it's still under warranty.
m
l
January 27, 2012 5:39:18 PM

Best answer selected by kensrue.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2012 5:45:51 PM

Thank you kindly!

Good luck and happy computing!
m
l