Canon G6 or S2? Battery charge overseas?

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 17, 2005 3:44:37 PM

I cannot decide between the Canon Powershot G6 and the Powershot S2 IS. I
want a good prosumer camera that I use for ambitious amateur shots. I saw
both cameras for the same price.

Originally, I had decided for the G6. It seems a better deal and a more
professional camera. But then, I saw it has proprietary batteries! The
problem is I am in the U.S. (110V), but will be in Germany for a longer
time soon (220V). The S2 uses 4 AA batteries, so it will be no problem to
charge them with standard chargers anywhere in the world.

Is that a reason to buy the S2 instead of the G6? Is that an equally good
camera? Does anyone have experience with charging a G6 (bought in the
U.S.) overseas? I don't want to spend additionaly $60 or so for a second
battery charger.

Thanks!
Andi
May 17, 2005 8:22:16 PM

The charger will work anywhere with the proper adapter. I have a G6 and it
is a good camera. Keep the ISO at the lowest setting possible to get lower
noise (grain) and get the 220EX external flash for indoor shots. The G6 and
220EX are a very good travel combo, not too big and with enough control for
those situations requiring a bit more than "press the button and hope for
the best".

Jean

"Andreas Schmidt" <schmidt.2004@gmx.de> a écrit dans le message de
> I cannot decide between the Canon Powershot G6 and the Powershot S2 IS. I
> want a good prosumer camera that I use for ambitious amateur shots. I saw
> both cameras for the same price.
>
> Originally, I had decided for the G6. It seems a better deal and a more
> professional camera. But then, I saw it has proprietary batteries! The
> problem is I am in the U.S. (110V), but will be in Germany for a longer
> time soon (220V). The S2 uses 4 AA batteries, so it will be no problem to
> charge them with standard chargers anywhere in the world.
>
> Is that a reason to buy the S2 instead of the G6? Is that an equally good
> camera? Does anyone have experience with charging a G6 (bought in the
> U.S.) overseas? I don't want to spend additionaly $60 or so for a second
> battery charger.
>
> Thanks!
> Andi

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 11:32:23 PM

Andreas Schmidt <schmidt.2004@gmx.de> writes:
> I cannot decide between the Canon Powershot G6 and the Powershot S2
> IS. I want a good prosumer camera that I use for ambitious amateur
> shots. I saw both cameras for the same price.
>
> Originally, I had decided for the G6. It seems a better deal and a
> more professional camera. But then, I saw it has proprietary
> batteries! The problem is I am in the U.S. (110V), but will be in
> Germany for a longer time soon (220V). The S2 uses 4 AA batteries,
> so it will be no problem to charge them with standard chargers
> anywhere in the world.
>
> Is that a reason to buy the S2 instead of the G6? Is that an
> equally good camera? Does anyone have experience with charging a G6
> (bought in the U.S.) overseas? I don't want to spend additionaly
> $60 or so for a second battery charger.

The battery charger that comes with the Powershot G6 is rated
100-240V, 50-60HZ and will work just as well in Europe as it does
in the USA. You will need to get a new power cord (it is detachable)
with a German plug or one of those plug adapters sold at airports and
travel stores becuase the physical shape of the plugs used in Germany
is different than those used in the USA.

I can't comment on which is the better camera.
May 18, 2005 1:58:30 AM

Thanks for your answers! I ordered a G6 from buydig.com and a 512MB SanDisk
CompactFlash from amazon.com. $550 altogether, incl. shipping.

Andi

!