Over Heating Issue Please Help

jhouse0386

Honorable
May 5, 2012
okay so first my rig.

Mainboard : Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3
Chipset : Intel Z68
Processor : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3400MHz
Physical Memory : 8192MB (4 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Hard Disk : Western Digital WD10EADS-00L5B1 ATA Device (1000GB)
Hard Disk : Western Digital WD10EARX-00N0YB0 ATA Device (1000GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : _NEC DVD+-RW ND-3650A
Monitor Type : Acer X223W - 22 inches
Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.01.7600 (64-bit)
DirectX : Version 11.00

I have not overclocked at all.

In the bios on boot up it says it is 87 degrees.

In windows idle it is 45-50celsius

Prime 95 full load it gets up to 98 celsius.

While playing BF3 it gets up to 90-95 celsius.

What is the issue? It is a brand new CPU.

Local computer hardware store owner told me that it sounds like i got a bad CPU that something like thermal paste even if i had absolutely none on there would only make about a 5 degree difference. He was convinced that newegg sold me a recall they sell as new. IDK. Maybe that was just his way of trying to get me to buy from him. I want to know what the issue is and what ways I can go about fixing it. From what I have read around the web I shouldnt be above 80 celsius even on a full load via prime95.

btw I have stock cooling and w/e thermal paste it had on it when it came out of the box. I still dont believe intel stock stuff would be this bad cooling wise. Any ideas anyone?

6yd20h.jpg

The most likely cause of your problem is incorrect mounting of the intel stock cooler.

With the pc power unplugged, see if you can wiggle the cooler a bit. It should be rock solid.
Look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are completely through and locked.
It is hard for the first timer to get them all through.

If it is not well mounted, buy some thermal paste such as as5. Most any will do.
Remove the old paste with alcohol.
Play with the pins so you understand how they work.
When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.

The trick to getting it on is to push down on a diagonal pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.
If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard must be out of the case to do the job.

jhouse0386

Honorable
May 5, 2012
okay I checked there is 0 wiggle to it. so I would say it is properly mounted. So where do I go from here. Reapply Thermal Paste? will it really make the 20 degree celsius difference? Because what I have read about my CPU and tempatures I am suppose to be running mid 70s celsius tops while gaming and having a full load not 90-97 celsius.

InvalidError

Titan

The Intel push-pin HSFs can be improperly mounted even when it feels properly mounted. You may have "no wiggle" but the pins might not be pulling hard enough to provide sufficient contact force. Many people in these forums report unusually high temperatures with their Intel push-pin HSF after 2-3 years and I bet most of those are due to the pins and plastic frames deforming/stretching over time - I experienced this myself, as have many of my friends.

When I re-applied paste to my stock HSF, the improvement lasted only for 2-3 weeks before temperatures shot back up.

I solved my HSF mounting issues by installing a CM Hyper 212+, a little cumbersome (I had to pull my motherboard out to install the backplate) but results are well worth the trouble.

Can you pull out the pins without much force? If you can, they're not properly locked in. And even if the cooler seems firmly attatched, if the pins aren't fully locked in, it'll still cause the issue you're describing.

Side note: I swear someone needs to make a post about the stock Intel HSF's and those pins and have it stickied.

Have you looked at the back of the motherboard to varify that you can see all 4 pins are pushed fully through and that the lockin pin has expanded the white prongs?

Really, I would invest $20 in the CM hyper212. It has a backplate mount which will be foolproof.
Under load it will run cooler and quieter.

jhouse0386

Honorable
May 5, 2012
I am not keen on a whole project of taking the mother board out to install an aftermarket HSF. I checked the back of the motherboard all 4 pins are in the holes and they are spread. Could anything be causeing a false high reading? I figure with it running at a supposed over 200 degrees fahrenheit that it would have auto shut down via over heating. I just dont see how I could have the stock fan on there and it running this retardedly hot. you figure it might run warm but for it to come straight out of the box and run like this? What is the deal? I cant even open the browser and say league of legends at the same time cause as soon as the processor starts using 3400 it starts to go over 90 celsius on the senors. Its not like my case is hot either I run 2 video cards and they both run very cool. I dunno I am just puzzled to why this would run like such crap out of the box. From looking at the back of the mobo and the front it would seem that the stock HSF is correctly installed. So whats the deal. Guy at the local Computer hardware place said I probably bought a faulty processor and I should send it back for a replacement. Is that even a possibility for my problem? Guy was trying to tell me Newegg purchases recalls from companies and such and sells them as new. I dont know if he was just trying to get me to buy stuff from him or what. All I know is something is amiss with this new rig and I would sure like to know what it is.

It wouldn't shut down until it got to closer 130C, I believe (taken from the resident Intel expert here). It SHOULD be throttling at ~98C, though. In any case, it would almost have to be that the HSF isn't seated well or the thermal paste is screwed somehow. I really don't think a "bad" CPU would just run hot at stock speeds like that. Intel's Quality Control is better than that.

And as far as Newegg re-selling used or defective parts as new, that's ludicrous. If it came in a sealed box, it was new. If that was true and word of something like that ever got out, Newegg would be severely hurt by it.

InvalidError

Titan

As I said above, the push-pin HSFs can look properly installed when they actually aren't. The flex on the fan's frame is only about millimeter or so while setting pins and this is all that provides the contact force on the heatsink. It takes only a tiny alignment error or obstruction somewhere (debris stuck under the heatsink, frame feets, pin mechanism, etc. or mounting component(s) out of tolerances) to lose a large chunk of that force.

You have only two possibilities:
1- HSF not mounted as properly as it seems or
2- defective CPU that somehow works properly apart for consuming something like twice the expected power when under load

If the CPU reports 90-100C but the HSF is barely warming up, the HSF is definitely not making proper contact with the CPU's heat-spreader.

jhouse0386

Honorable
May 5, 2012
yeah I am touching the top of the fan finger right next to the heatsink and its not hot... not even warm air near there. I am running Prime 95 too and its at 97 celsius so without making direct contact with the heatsink itself i would presumeably be able to feel a good bit of heat coming from there no?

jhouse0386

Honorable
May 5, 2012
yeah the air is cool all around that heatsink. that whole case is pretty darn cool right now both GPUs at 29 both HDDs at 27. I put my finger right next to the heat sink air is cool. so this def means its not touching properly? so should i try to reseat it or should i just buy an after market one. I mean until I get some thermal paste I think I am just using my gaming machine for web browsing lol. atleast I can do that at 50 celsius.

Well, totally starting over and re-seating will help I think, but a decent aftermarket HSF would be MUCH better. My suggestion on that would be a Hyper 212 Evo. I have one and it's great for the price ($34.99 on Newegg). It's a bit of a pain to install, but it's worth it IMO.

You should be very happy with that. Just make sure to watch or read a tutorial on how to install it. You don't HAVE to, but it makes it much easier when you know what your doing because the instructions that come with it (the Evo at least, and I imagine it would be the same with the 212+) aren't the best thing in the world, lol.

jhouse0386

Honorable
May 5, 2012
from everything I read the 2600k and its stock cooler anyways people generally get high temps and say the thing is a piece of crap. Guess its easy not to install it right? Because I literally googled my exact temps and problem and there are other people having the same issue lol. I hope this fixes the issue. idleing and web broswing I am pretty sure shouldnt be running the CPU at 50 celsius