Sign in with
Your question

Why is audio on a pc so complicated / help?

Last response: in Components
May 10, 2012 11:37:09 PM

Ok so this might be a bit long and i apologize for that but i wanted to get my entire question across and not be confusing.

Basically im trying to figure out what exactly is controlling the audio in my pc, and by that i mean there is the windows audio control panel option, where i can set speaker output and channels(2,4,5.1,7.1). Then within my sound card's control panel(i have a HT OMEGA CLARO) there is a audio input, which allows me to select between 2,4,6,8 channel audio(my understanding of this is i should select an input that represents the content im "using", ie listening to music is 2, movie is 6), and an audio output, which again allows me to select between 2,3,5.1,7.1 channel audio, as well as a digital audio option(dts, ddl, or pcm) as well as dsp effects, flex bass options, and an equalizer, etc

Where this gets even more complicated, is if i load up say starcraft 2, within there i can set 2,4,5.1,7.1 channel audio. Or i load up vlc and within there i can change equalizer options. I basically feel like im drowning in options, and they all affect the audio quality in some way.

So while ultimately my sound card is controlling the output in either 5.1 or across digital(ive switched back and fourth), changing all of these other options has had varying "effects" and i was hoping somone who knows more about what is actually going on could explain to me the settings i should be using. The largest effect i usualy see is changing the audio channels in anything other than my soundcard control panel basically results in audio being played at different volumes across the different channels. But yeah, im just drowning in options and not sure what ones matter, or what i should actually be doing

More about : audio complicated

May 19, 2012 7:56:41 PM

LifeIsLife said:
Ok so this might be a bit long and i apologize for that but i wanted to get my entire question across and not be confusing.

Basically im trying to figure out what exactly is controlling the audio in my pc, and by that i mean there is the windows audio control panel option, where i can set speaker output and channels(2,4,5.1,7.1). Then within my sound card's control panel(i have a HT OMEGA CLARO) there is a audio input, which allows me to select between 2,4,6,8 channel audio(my understanding of this is i should select an input that represents the content im "using", ie listening to music is 2, movie is 6), and an audio output, which again allows me to select between 2,3,5.1,7.1 channel audio, as well as a digital audio option(dts, ddl, or pcm) as well as dsp effects, flex bass options, and an equalizer, etc

Where this gets even more complicated, is if i load up say starcraft 2, within there i can set 2,4,5.1,7.1 channel audio. Or i load up vlc and within there i can change equalizer options. I basically feel like im drowning in options, and they all affect the audio quality in some way.

So while ultimately my sound card is controlling the output in either 5.1 or across digital(ive switched back and fourth), changing all of these other options has had varying "effects" and i was hoping somone who knows more about what is actually going on could explain to me the settings i should be using. The largest effect i usualy see is changing the audio channels in anything other than my soundcard control panel basically results in audio being played at different volumes across the different channels. But yeah, im just drowning in options and not sure what ones matter, or what i should actually be doing

i agree sound is tricky especially in windows. in control panel there is generally a sounds option and that will be for your windows controlled option. primarily though you will want to setup your sound in your sound cards control panel. i would not focus on setting it for specific tasks i would more focus on setting it to how many speakers you have. for instance if you have 5.1 surround sound setup then you will want 5.1 surround sound and 6 channel audio. (generally the X.1 states there is a Sub woofer channel) how to connect your individual connections varies by board so would will need to look that up in your manual. after you get set for your speakers then play something in the background and adjust your effects till your get the sound where you want it. usually defaults works fine for me except some small adjustments to the equalizer.

once that is complete set your software to match your settings and that should make everything uniform.

as for what the individual settings are you will want to refer to your sound card manual for interpretation of what each setting/Abbreviation is.
!