Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • DVI
  • Monitors
  • HDMI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 28, 2011 12:08:56 PM

hi, im using XFX Nvidia GeForce 9600GT GPU which has a dvi and vga port. Nvidia dvi to hdmi adapter was supplied along with the product. Recently i purchased LG E2260V full hd (1080p)monitor which has vga, dvi and hdmi ports and initially was connected with dvi cable from video card to the dvi port on the monitor. During this time my monitor was shown in the windows 7 resolution menu as LGE2260(digital) and in the Nvidia control menu it showed that my system is hdcp capable. Right now i purchased a hdmi cable and connected it to my monitor with the hdmi cable's one end connected to the hdmi port on the monitor and the other end of the cable to my pc through a dvi to hdmi adapter supplied by Nvidia along with the card. Now my display quality doesn't look as good as when i was using the dvi cable, and in the windows 7 resolution menu it shows only LGE2260( nothing in the bracket like digital or analog) and Nvidia control panel says that my display is not hdcp compatible. How is it possible for it to become hdcp compatible when using a dvi cable and become incompatible when using hdmi cable via dvi-hdmi adapter and why the display is inferior to dvi. please help.......which one is better for display dvi or hdmi. i visited lots of websites and found out that if any of my device is not hdcp capable there wont be any display at all or a message shows that its not capable, no video downgrade whatsoever was noted. when i connected using hdmi(via a dvi-hdmi adapter), the monitor functions shows that it HDMI 1080p and all sub functions related to hdmi also became available(which was unavailable with dvi connected). My nvidia control menu shows also hdmi( with or without audio drop down selection) but on its hdcp compatible page shows that my display is not hdcp capable. I checked both LG and Nvidia sites and its says both are hdcp compatible. Im puzzled. will there be a signal degradation if i connect it via the adapter( which is supplied by nvidia itself and claims full hd compatible). Most of the people advised me to used hdmi though its signal is same as dvi but its faster than dvi and hence more information on the screen. But im getting the reverse here. Plz help.......................

More about : hdcp capable capable dvi hdmi

a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
November 28, 2011 12:28:52 PM

First, never use an adapter unless you have no other choice. They can introduce signal loss and degrade image quality. Second, make sure you only have one connection between the PC and the monitor at a time (for example, don't connect both the DVI and VGA connections on your PC to the same monitor at the same time).

Your HDMI connection is inherently HDCP compatible when connected to a HDCP monitor. That is not an issue.

So, please clarify, in a much less wordy and complicated fashion, the problem you are having.
m
l
November 28, 2011 12:32:55 PM

Just use a normal DVI cable and ditch the HDMI adapter, there's no noticable difference when using an HDMI setup that works anyway. I know because I changed from dvi to HDMI on my monitor and apart from some different setup options the quality is just the same.

HDCP is only an issue if you are streaming HDCP protected content to the screen, such as some bluerays. Other than that it does nothing.

Just use the DVI cable and save yourself the headache since it was working already.
m
l
November 29, 2011 1:11:48 AM

thanks plasmastorm

but i read hdmi is faster and gives more information on the screen

you get the same quality with hdmi but i have an inferior quality for hdmi compared to dvi.

the adapter is supplied by the manufacturer itself and many says that no need for convertion as the video signals are more or less the same but its significantly faster and gives a smoother display than dvi.

my nvidia menu shows hdcp capale with dvi and not capable with hdmi

so where is the problem? is the hdmi port on the monitor is not hdcp compliant

i also read that if any devises are not hdcp capable i must not get a display

but i do have a display and says not hdcp capable

intel idiots made life stupid with this hdcp introduction and i heard its already been hacked. if so the hollywood studios will still lose money and we will also lose money looking for these compliant devises which only helps to make steams come out of our ears.
m
l
November 29, 2011 1:45:02 AM

hi COLGeek

my gpu(9600GT) has a dvi and vga ports

as per my gpu manufacturer its supports hdmi via dvi-hdmi adapter(Nvidia original one) which is supplied along with the gpu

my new monitor(LG E2260V) has hdmi, dvi and vga ports

first i connected it using dvi cable supplied with monitor itself, the quality was good and nvidia hdcp menu showed "your graphics card and display are hdcp capable"

but when i connected it using hdmi cable via the dvi-hdmi adapter the display looks more whitish(like if you have increased gamma too much) and also the color depth is not as good as dvi.

and my nvidia hdcp menu shows that "your display is not hdcp capable" is it because of this the display on hdmi looks poorer.

what it means? only my dvi port on the monitor is hdcp compliant and hdmi is not compliant. then i must ask them to replace my display as i specifically told them before i purchased that i need full hdmi capability.

as per the manufacturers both my gpu and display are hdcp capable.

i read that though dvi and hdmi video signals are the same, hdmi is faster than dvi and can show more information on screen.

and i also read that there need to be no loss due to covertion when using a dvi-hdmi adapter as the signals are the same.

most of the websites says that i should not get a display if any of my devises are not hdcp capable. it says either you get a display or not at all, no in between or degradation of hd quality or whatsoever.

but here i do have a display but its quality is considerably less than dvi.

should i ask my supplier to change my display with a one that has a hdcp compatible hdmi port as its going to be the future connectivity solution.

thanks
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
November 30, 2011 1:23:08 PM

For all practical purposes, HDMI is not "faster" than DVI in terms of performance. While some HMDI standards allow for more stuff to happen over the connection (audio, video, and networking, for that matter), it really isn't meaningful in this regard.

True, the digital signal is the same on the GPU side when considering whether to use DVI or HDMI, but on the monitor side it isn't. If you insist on using HDMI (I see no point in this), then you will have to adjust your monitor settings to meet your needs.

As recommended earlier, just go with the DVI connection.

Good luck!
m
l
!