Can i water cool my CPUs???

zathador114

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
hi!! i have a pretty old PC and i was wondering if i could water cool my CPUs?

SPECS:

CPU: dual xeon 5130 @ 2.00 GHz

PSU: 575 watt non-aftermarket

thanks in advance!

Solution
You can always watercool any CPU but that doesn't mean that a cooler for a particular formfactor is easily available. That CPU is on the socket 771 platform and most of those motherboards are custom designed by OEMs such as Dell and HP to use their own cooling solutions, not industry standard ones.

Even so, a lot of server platforms can't be overclocked, and systems with dual CPUs tend to overclock very poorly too. It's probably not even worth it
You can always watercool any CPU but that doesn't mean that a cooler for a particular formfactor is easily available. That CPU is on the socket 771 platform and most of those motherboards are custom designed by OEMs such as Dell and HP to use their own cooling solutions, not industry standard ones.

Even so, a lot of server platforms can't be overclocked, and systems with dual CPUs tend to overclock very poorly too. It's probably not even worth it

Solution

zathador114

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

thank you for your wonderful advice!!! after thinking it over...i have decided not to water cool but get new video card (gtx 550 ti i know its not the best) and get 16 gb ram (max) and also upgrade my CPUs to dual quad core @ 2.33 GHz!!!!!

If you are looking to do thing like game you will want speed, not so many cores. If you plan on video editing or something, go for cores. :)