What's difference between Intel 3rd generation 2nd generation core i

Status
Not open for further replies.

chamara54

Honorable
May 6, 2012
What's the major difference between Intel 3rd generation 2nd generation core i processors?

I hard Intel lunch they new 3rd generation core i processor :ouch: I know people say It's Sandy Bridge in 2nd generation when we consider 3rd generation it's 'Ivy Bridge other than this what are the actual different between those 2 type of generation processor :bounce:

BVKnight

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
As a manufacturer, Intel has committed to switching things up every generation of its cpu chips. They alternate between an architecture change and a die shrink with each other generation.

The 2nd generation of Core i-series processors was dubbed "Sandy Bridge" and was an architecture change from the previous CPUs.

The 3rd generation is called "Ivy Bridge," and is basically a copy of Sandy Bridge manufactured on a smaller scale, or die. However, Intel also focused on beefing up the integrated graphics in this generation.

Basically, 3rd generation "Ivy Bridge" CPUs have a small (5-10%) performance advantage over 2nd generation Sandy Bridge chips, however they also produce higher temperatures when overclocked which means it is harder to push them further in speed. Basically they even out when compared to Sandy Bridge's performance+overclocking.

However, the Ivy Bridge CPUs also use less power and have a more powerful graphics chip built in.

You can check out the Ivy Bridge reviews right here on Tom's Hardware and other tech sites to get more detailed comparisons between the two generations.

Without get very technical, the primary differences for the average person are relatively small.

1. Ivy Bridge consumes a little less power; around 10w i think.

2. Slightly more processing power. On average with the same clock speeds Ivy Bridge CPUs are on average 3% - 4% faster than Sandy Bridge CPUs.

3. Ivy Bridge CPUs have either the Intel HD 2500 / HD 4000 graphic core vs. the Intel HD 2000 / HD 3000 found in the Sandy Bridge CPUs. The HD 4000 is around 40% - 45% more powerful than the HD 3000. That basically like a Radeon HD 5550 vs. a Radeon HD 5450.

xtreme5

Distinguished
ivy-bridge uses 22nm lithography.
Higher clock speed
powerfull built in gpu with hd 4000
overclocking potential is slighly weaker

sandy-bridge uses 32nm lithography
lower clock speed
Built in gpu with hd 3000
overclocking potential is great

overall 10 to 15% ivy-bridge wins..

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Ivy Bridge is only 100MHz faster at stock than Sandy. I don't think the performance advantage has worked out to 10-15% better; more like 5-10% in most cases.

Either processor is fine for the long haul.

CruzinKatz

Honorable
May 11, 2012
The 3rd generation is called "Ivy Bridge," and is basically a copy of Sandy Bridge manufactured on a smaller scale, or die. However, Intel also focused on beefing up the integrated graphics in this generation.
hjk

paradoxeternal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
basically, ivy bridge is made using more advanced technology than sandy bridge was last year, but it's pretty much the same product, just made better/more efficiently. if you're buying it to put in a gaming PC with a dedicated graphics card, go for sandy bridge because it's bit cheaper now and performs practically the same as ivybridge.

Papa_ji

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
yes overclocking is not so good in ivy bridge but ivy bridge do support SSD where as sandy bridge doesnt.
so it would be better to buy ivy bridge coz if u want to upgrade your laptop later on and add an ssd to it then u need 3rd gen processors.
And we all know it not so easy to upgrade your laptop's processor..
So go for the ivy bridge processors..

Status
Not open for further replies.