Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Will I Need a New Power Supply?

Last response: in Components
Share
May 11, 2012 2:26:44 AM

Hi! I know this is my first post, but hopefully I'll still get some help. I've been wanting to join the forum for a very long time, but finally came around to doing it.

I'm soon buying a new computer. I have experience in upgrading computers, so I'm very comfortable with that. I will be purchasing this kit from TigerDirect:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

I plan to play some decent games on this, so I know I will need a better graphics card. I don't need max settings, so I am thinking the Radeon HD6770, found here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

I'm concerned about the power supply being strong enough. If it is, great! If not, I was thinking the power supply found here ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) was a good option. My brother is currently using it with great success.

Thanks for any input given, I really appreciate it!

More about : power supply

Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
May 11, 2012 3:07:26 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Your PSU should be adequate to operate with a Radeon HD 6770, however, the 6770 card requires one PCIe 6 pin power connector which the DiabloTek PSDA400 DA Series 400-Watt Power Supply does not include. You will need to get an adapter such as this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Share
May 11, 2012 3:17:55 AM

JKatwyopc said:
Hello and welcome to the forums.

Your PSU should be adequate to operate with a Radeon HD 6770, however, the 6770 card requires one PCIe 6 pin power connector which the DiabloTek PSDA400 DA Series 400-Watt Power Supply does not include. You will need to get an adapter such as this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


i wasn't aware of the adapters... if the psu would run it, that'll be the way to go. Just trying to do a budget build and save some money. I also found a pack of 2 case fans that I will buy to keep it cool, I didn't realize it didn't come with them! Anything else I should know?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
May 11, 2012 3:24:38 AM

calculate the total cost of that system including the parts you have to had and compare with the one on the link i post
m
0
l
May 11, 2012 3:45:39 AM

scout_03 said:
calculate the total cost of that system including the parts you have to had and compare with the one on the link i post


It totals $372.95 with everything. I'm confused by the link in your post... it takes me to a page with a bunch of computers on it, I'm not sure which one you're suggesting... I appreciate your help though. :) 
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
May 11, 2012 3:49:22 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Seasonic S12II 520 $69.99

... If you need cheaper ones that support a single 6770 and a moderately powered system...

Look into

Antec Neo Eco 520 / Antec EA 500D / Corsair CX 500 V2 / XFX 550/ Corsair CX 430V2 / Antec EA 380D
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
May 11, 2012 4:08:17 AM

check the specs of the one listed at 339 and all it's partsor hte other at 387 and add a graphic card ,maybe forum members could suggest you something also
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
May 11, 2012 3:23:12 PM

xKroniK13x said:
i wasn't aware of the adapters... if the psu would run it, that'll be the way to go. Just trying to do a budget build and save some money. I also found a pack of 2 case fans that I will buy to keep it cool, I didn't realize it didn't come with them! Anything else I should know?



According to it's specs you could use that power supply. I'm not too surr I would want to though. It's not the best brand. Personally I would try to find something else. For power supplies, I prefer Seasonic and Corsair.
m
0
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 11, 2012 8:21:39 PM

Instead of buying a separate PSU, ask Tigerdirect if they will allow you to substitute a better PSU for a few extra dollars. Stay away from Diablotek!
m
0
l
May 13, 2012 4:03:50 PM

Ordered the kit as is, my friend has an old power supply that he is willing to part with, so I'm going to probably use his. Thanks for all of the help!
m
0
l
May 13, 2012 4:04:08 PM

Best answer selected by xKroniK13x.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
May 13, 2012 4:36:00 PM

I wouldn't use a Diablotek.. EVER.. You might as well start a fire in your case with some charcoal. Since at least then you would be nearby to put it out.
m
0
l
!