Sign in with
Your question

External Graphics Card For Laptop

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 28, 2011 2:16:29 PM

I have an HP Pavillion DV9700 laptop with nVidia GForce 8600M GS (512 MB) discrete graphics card. A few days ago, the display went blank. On doing research, I found that this is well known issue with this particular laptop model. Basically the video card got fried due to running hot. The only solution suggested by everybody is to replace the motherboard. I have a couple of questions -

1. If it is a discrete graphics card, shouldn't it be replaceable without replacing the motherboard?
2. My laptop has an ExpressCard slot. Is it possible to get an ExpressCard external graphics card? If I get it, will the laptop display start working or will the external graphics card work only with an external monitor?

I really don't want to throw away my $1000 laptop. Motherboard replacement is expensive if I get it done from someone else and tedious if I do it myself. I was hoping I could work out some solution without having to replace the motherboard.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.
Rhea
November 28, 2011 3:16:06 PM

You can replace only gpu chip, im doing it right now with the 8600m gt card, just try to find good repair shop for that job, and they must give warranty.
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
November 28, 2011 3:34:28 PM

You can replace it, but in my experience you have to call HP, send it to them. They will probably keep it for a month or so, and then upgrade it to something which will probably still be underwhelming and then cost you an arm and a leg in the process.

m
l
November 28, 2011 4:24:53 PM

Thanks for your response. This may be a novice question - will the 8600m gpu need to be soldered or can it be plugged into the motherboard? If it is the latter, I can do it myself.

Thanks.
Rhea
m
l
!