ferny111

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
So, I am not quite sure where to put this, under laptops or cpu, so i decided to see if this is the right spot. Anyways, I was wondering, would this puppy be able to game or would that be a pointless pursuit? I know everyone says that the intel HD 3000 graphics are poop compared to what AMD offers, but there is a laptop I wanted to buy with an i3-2330m processor. To be honest, it will mostly be used for school and such, but, occasionally, games shall be played on it as I dislike lugging my desktop to LAN parties. I am not looking for stellar performance, just something that will let me play, let's say, L4D2, HL2, D3 (5 moar days!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D.....), Original SC, TF2, indie games such as Anamoly, Bastion and Orcs Must Die, and maybe even more extensive games like SC2, AVP, and Batman: AS. The laptop I am looking at is a Lenovo B570 and has 4GB of DDR3-1333Mhz with one extra slot and supports up to 8GB (will probably upgrade it), Windows Home 64-bit, native resolution is 1366x768 and I guess the rest doesn't make too much of a difference? Know it is quite a bit to read, but thanks to all your replies :) Also, my price range is under $400 (this thing is a $350 refurb model from futureshop)

What games are you trying to play? I have a I3 2330-M and it more the graphics that seem to limit gaming more than the actual CPU. Still though for an I3 dual core with hyper threading it does prettyt good in gaming I'm happy with it.

ferny111

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Well, I am looking at games such has Left for Dead 2, Half Life 2, Dead Space, indie games such as Orcs Must Die and Bastion, and more recent games such as Diablo 3. Not looking to play these games maxed out, but low to medium details, no shadows, maybe 2x AA, but nothing extensive

You should not have any problem with L4D2 or HL2. Any game using the Source Engine from HL2 will be able to run on a HD 3000.

I have tested the HD 3000 in my laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad Y470) and found it is able to Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2 quite well given the limited performance of that graphic core. Fallout: New Vegas should be playable as well.

Based on some benchmarks I've seen StarCraft 2 can played on low settings so I assume you will be able to play Diablo 3 with low settings as well.

ferny111

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Hmmm, well, I may go ahead with the purchase then. Diablo 3 is supposed to have low end computer friendly settings and if this thing can power steam games, then I am content. I do believe there may be some minor differences between the desktop and laptop versions of the hd 3000 integrated graphics, but don't quote me on that.

TRENDING THREADS