Help. I can't do anything on my desktop PC.

matt0106

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
I had A MOBO with a bad cap and I replaced the cap and put the PC back together. Then I turned it on, but when I do it runs perfectly fine and everything. But, after 20 seconds it goes to a screen that reads,
"Phoenix- Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG, An Energy Star Ally
Copyright (C) 1984-2007, Phoenix Technologies, LTD

NFORCE6M-A Ver:1.0e 10/23/2007

Main Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) 64X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+

Press DEL to enter SETUP, F11 to Enter Boot Menu
10/23/2007-NF-MCP61-6A61K0010C-00", and it just sits there. But when I push DEL or F11 it doesn't do anything. I checked the keyboard and everything, still doesn't respond.

Please help.

matt0106

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
I already fixed that problem. But to answer your questions.

"No, and it didn't actually blow up but the top split open."

I SPECIFICALLY need help on how to get SETUP or Boot Menu.

matt0106

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
But the computer runs perfectly fine, I just can't get past this screen. IDK if it's the keyboard or what it could be but EVERYTHING turns on and runs. So I doubt it's the motherboard.

I also don't have money to replace the motherboard, that's why I fixed the cap.

Puff3r

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Based on the fact that the system is not passing POST, the problem is most likely with the motherboard. The press DEL to enter setup message is generally displayed while the POST is processing in the background. The fact that it does not pass this message means to me that your MOBO is likely the issue. Just cause it boots, doesn't mean that it works.

Puff3r

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
If it passed the POST the BIOS would continue loading and you would pass the screen. Do you have an internal speaker on the system? It may be giving you beep codes that indicate the problem. If it is indeed a POST test failure, you may have accidentally damaged something during your repair. It is very easy to accidentally touch the wrong spot with a soldering iron or even get a bad solder on the repair you just did. Unfortunately, the only real way to test this is with another motherboard.

darlingpchelp

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Sounds like a a bad boot sector if you just get does screen with flashing cursor it got confused or I would try inserting install disk to see if it will process through if so obviously mobo is good just most likely a bad boot sector perhaps a windows repair

Joshua darling
administartor of darlingpchelp.net

Puff3r

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011

I respectfully disagree. If it were a boot sector error there would be a message regarding the OS not being found or to replace the boot disk. From the OP it is not even reaching the point of attempting to load the OS.

matt0106

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

Yes there is an internal speaker. But, it's not beeping. Wouldn't it beep if there was a failure of some sort?

medmn

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Try clearing cmos with jumper or by removing battery - be sure to unplug power supply before you do either. Leave jumper in place or battery out for a few minutes then reinstall and retry it. Also another thing to look at is keyboard - use a ps2 keyboard if you have one- usb keyboards can be problematic on new or rebuilt machines until you cna get the bios option for usb keyboard turned on. Good Luck.

Puff3r

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Remove all peripherals from the system, including hard drives. Remove all RAM and place only one stick in the primary slot. If you have both an onboard and dedicated graphics card, remove the card and run off the onboard chip only. With only the keyboard attached, attempt to boot the system. Do you get any further, or does it still stop at the same position? If you have multiple RAM chips, try booting off each one individually. Is there any difference? If you find you can get past the error, to any degree, post the changes. If there is no change, try testing with a different motherboard.

matt0106

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
It went to a screen with more mumbo jumbo on it. Look at the pic.
DubAzjrP.jpg

i know it's hard to read but it's the best I can do for now.
http://seenly.com/DubAzjrP

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Are you using a usb mouse and keyboard? I ask as when i bought an hdd upgrade a while back i could not do anything and i thought it was the pc but when i tried a mouse and keyboard in their regular slots i had no problem accessing bios (silly i know but i like to check the little things first)

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
No offense intended, but do you actually suppose that your understanding of electronics and motherboard circuitry in particular is sufficient to diagnose "bad cap" and rule out other electronic problems without even using test equipment or a schematic diagram? Are you a psychic genius? If there is a "bad resistor" or a "bad diode" in addition to the "bad cap", how would you know? Replace the motherboard. Whatever took the cap out almost certainly took something else, or when the cap went, it took something else.