Sign in with
Your question

Newb questions re SLI (or not) and Low Res monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 28, 2011 3:09:46 PM

Hi,

I am building a PC for the first time since Voodoo cards were all the rage. Intended use gaming, Skyrim, Battlefield 3 etc.

I already have: Bitfenix Shinobi Case, MSI Z68 GD55, 2500K i5, 8Gb Corsair Veng', 600w Cougar PSU, Antec Khuler water cooler. I'm building this up now and intend to use the integrated GFX die to start with in order to get my overclocking house in order before adding GFX cards in a few weeks.

Assuming that power, cooling and space are not a considearation (as I think I have it all covered), I have the following questions:

For approx £200, which is better, a pair of GTS450s, or a single GTX560? I am leaning towards the former, as I can buy half now and half later, but not sure if it's worth it? It seems to me like if you have SLI available you will get more fps/£ as you can get older cards at better prices.

But...Is SLI worth the bother is you are not going above 1900x1200? I am likely stuck at 1440x900 at the moment as I am already skint with the purchases so far, another reason to start with lower spec SLI cards as I can buy one for my existing monitor, and another when I get a bigger one with higher resolution, although I don't think I will go above 1900x1200 in the future.

If I was to go ATI instead, the same questions but a pair of 6770s versus a single 6950?

Or, any other considerations would be gratefully appreciated too.

This is the last component I need to get, and I've trawled through everywhere I could to try to get to where I am already. It took me long enough to pick the mobo/psu etc (CPU was easy), but this is really stumping me. Cheers guys.
a c 153 U Graphics card
November 28, 2011 3:41:13 PM

Deffinitly don't go SLI GTS450's. They are older tech, you never want to START with SLI. You want SLI to be an upgrade option.

Yes SLI is worth the bother at 1900x1200, hell I'm SLI'ing at some of the newer games I can't run at max anymore at 1900x1200.

At 200 quid, you're looking at these..

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Card...

or for AMD

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Card...

If you can spend the extra 15 dollars over budget the 6950 would be an awesome deal.

I'm not great at shopping for hardware out of the States, so there might be better deals yadda yadda but thats what I found.
a c 272 U Graphics card
November 28, 2011 3:52:10 PM

Helltech said:
you never want to START with SLI. You want SLI to be an upgrade option.

I disagree, SLi'ing from the start still leaves you with an upgrade path as you can replace one or both cards at any time. In the case of some SLi setups by the time an upgrade is required the cards may be unavailable new leaving you at the mercy of the second hand market and all it's pitfalls.
Related resources
a c 153 U Graphics card
November 28, 2011 4:03:11 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I disagree, SLi'ing from the start still leaves you with an upgrade path as you can replace one or both cards at any time. In the case of some SLi setups by the time an upgrade is required the cards may be unavailable new leaving you at the mercy of the second hand market and all it's pitfalls.

Understandable. Its all opinion I guess. I still know of places to get GTX 260s three and a half years later (not that they are worth it anymore however), and had no problem getting my second one a year after my first.
a c 272 U Graphics card
November 28, 2011 4:08:47 PM

Helltech said:
Understandable. Its all opinion I guess. I still know of places to get GTX 260s three and a half years later (not that they are worth it anymore however), and had no problem getting my second one a year after my first.

Well I couldn't get a second 7900GT and I know of several folk who couldn't get 8800GTS's (G80) or GT's.
November 29, 2011 8:49:20 AM

Cheers for the info. All the charts are generally for single graphics cards etc, and there doesn't seem to be one for SLI/Crossfire etc. I would have thought that someone would have used the reference designs to provide a generic stock implementation chart for each architecture in single card mode and dual/triple where applicable to give you an idea on whether dual older cards would be faster than a single newer one.

I'm still undure on which approach to take, am currently thinking to go SLI, but with a 550 or a 460 if I can get one, even though that means I will have to wait longer to afford the second one...
!