Mobo And graphic card

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
My new pci ati Ragepro 128 Graphic card came in late this afternoon. Question #1 will i need to dl the driver for it and where would I get it from. A friend is giving me a pc with a mobo the requires a Dual core amd processor it is complete except for the cpu. He also told me that it would accept a single core cpu. I will have more info in the morning on it. He said it also had a special cooling fan for a dual core (???), As of this moment does anyone have any idea what amd processor I would need and about what it will cost me. I think he said it need an anthlon 64 or something like that. I also have and old pc800 tower just missing hard drive and cd-rom (no problem there have plenty extras) . Should i try to rebuild it or junk it? Has 1 gig ram, smart card reader, and 8 2.0 usb ports, no graphic card, but ethernet card and some sort of pci sound card

Solution
I live in the greater DC area.

Not sure about your parent's generation, but my family is self employed now and in 2012 its about the highest taxed thing you can do.

Anyway, I won't be around most of the weekend, but if you get part numbers for the parts you do have I will try to come up with some parts that will finish out the computer for pretty cheap when I get back if it isn't done already by someone else like wr6133.
I don't have much special to tell you other than that when you are dealing with hardware this old, the prices are usually out of line with the benefits.

If you look at the motherboard and get the model number you can look up what sort of processor is compatible with it.

There are about half a dozen slots that Athlon 64 processors will fit into. At least 754, 939, AM2, and AM2+.

If you don't know which slot you have and you get any random Athlon 64 chip it might be for a different slot than you have and it won't fit the board.

PC800 tower - If you mean PC800 as in the RAM speed, then the computer is probably a bit too old to do anything more than get on facebook with. DDR2-800 RAM would be a different story, but that isn't what it sounds like you have.

I don't know where you live in the world or what your budget is, but in America you could get a computer that would execute tasks 100x as fast as both of those put together for like $300 from DELL or HP. Trying to support all that old hardware might cost nearly as much.

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

I live in the usa in the southern state of georgia. This dual core has to be faster and better than what i am use now. My budget is very very limited as I live on a fixed income which is very small and i have a lot of special needs as i am in a wheel chair. i have bascially given up on ever owning a new computer. every pc and all compents have been given to me. Both parents hace passed and cuz my dad was self-employed he never paid in much taxes is why my income is so small. Don't take me wrong I am thankful for everything I have and that has been given to me and the fact that i am somewhat able to take care or myself. bout the only thing i can't do is drive and go shoping. evrything i get is off line cept for grocries. by The why where do you live ( just country is good enough)

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
When you get the PC if you open the case and find the model number and make of the motherboard we can tell you the compatible CPU's.

I understand your situation means new stuff is out of the picture but this one your getting will do better than your current older one :)

The older dual core athlons can be got cheap as chips from Ebay I sold one a month ago for the grand sum of £5 ($7.50)

*Edited for terrible just woken up spelling*

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Thanx. The mobo is a K9N6PMG2 series (ms-7309 v1.x) based on MCP(P)61/MCP(S)61/ MCP(V)61 chipset. Socket-Am2 processor. Socket AM2 (940 Pin). The mobo is a Msi. Have complete docs with it. Has 4 gig ram and a very large cpu cooling fan. Mobo has 1 dual ide socket, 2 sata sockets, 1pci_E1 socket, 1 pci_E2 socket, and 2 pci sockets plus 1 FDD1 socket. I have been trying to install my graphic card for over 2 hours on this piece of junk. In case you don't know what sys I have It is a Dell 260GX Optiplex. When I can afford the cpu for the other pc this one is going to be retired but keep as a backup just in case. Cause as you know this is my only connection to the outside world cept for when my nurse comes over which is on Wed. and Friday Mornings. Again thanx an d any help from you (info) will be greatly appreciated. I don't use facebook, Myspace, Yearbook, or any of that junk cuz there is always too much drama with the he said she said garbage.

I live in the greater DC area.

Not sure about your parent's generation, but my family is self employed now and in 2012 its about the highest taxed thing you can do.

Anyway, I won't be around most of the weekend, but if you get part numbers for the parts you do have I will try to come up with some parts that will finish out the computer for pretty cheap when I get back if it isn't done already by someone else like wr6133.

Solution

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Have a good weekend. A friend of mine and her husband is taking me to The golden corral on sunday for Mother's Day. They are very good to me as I am not a Mom and never can be, but that is neither here nor there. I hope you are ready for this. I have the complete docs on the new pc. It is a msi K9N6PGM2 Series design based on MCP(P)61/MCP(S)61/MCP(V)61 chipset. It has 1 PC_E1 socket, 1 PC_E2 socket, 2 PCI sockets, 1 FDD1 socket, 2 SATA sockets, and 1 IDE socket the CPU socket is an Am2(940pin). Already has 4 gig ram and LG super media digital drive, power supply and a very large cpu cooling fan. The case itself has vent to add 3 more fans. There is no Hard drive an there is one SATA cable, no IDE cable. Ide cables and Hard drives are no problem. I will pull my 320 and 500gig hdds out of this pc and install the 80gig i have as a backup hdd(activated) in this one and retire it but will keep just in case of a problem with other PC. So basically ll I need is a cpu and thermal paste and I'll have that pc up and running. QUESTION. i have an Xp Pro sys disc( don't like vista or 7) but i wanna run as a 64 bit system. is me disc set up for 64bit or will i have to get another xp pro disc????. Again have a very good weekend and thanx for all the help

zdbc13

Distinguished

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
http://media.msi.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=35558

Its hard find alot of official stuff for that board most of the 3rd party things on closer reading are for the V2 version and the MSI link from the guy above is which supports all the way to Phenom quad cores. Good news is this is nowhere near as dated as we expected. DDR2 not DDR RAM :)

The official bit on that V1.x there is a little vague.......

- Supports AMD® Athlon 64/ Athlon 64x2/ AM2 processors
- Supports Socket AM2+ 95W processor only

Safest is to take on black and white and aim for an Athlon 64X2 though if anybody reading this has used this board they may know if infact the Phenoms work.

Here are some examples

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Athlon-64-X2-6000-Dual-Core-3-GHz-ADX6000IAA6CZ-SOCKET-AM2-Free-Shipping-/221019415885?pt=CPUs&hash=item3375c8a54d
3.0 GHZ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Athlon-64-X2-5200-2-6GHz-Dual-Core-AM2-CPU-Processor-ADA5200IAA6CS-/310400132555?pt=CPUs&hash=item48454a25cb
2.6GHZ

Auctions will be your friend here those buy it now prices are not bad as AM2+ CPU's still have some demand though you may snag one at auction for less.

The motherboard can take up too 4GB DDR2 RAM it may be an idea to scout Ebay for either X2 1GB sticks or X2 2GB sticks. Brand new DDR2 is expensive now as its replaced with DDR3 but still in reasonable demand second hand on Ebay it's cheaper. 4GB would bring you near par with lower end current systems.

You won't set the world alight but with a 3.0GHZ CPU and 4GB of RAM you actually have the basis of a system that can attempt newish titles at lowish settings.

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012