Need opinions on new system

ultrabob

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Hey everybody! This is my first post on my first build. I just wanted to get everybodys opinion/suggestions on my new build:

First of all, I'd like to say that I built this PC for a few reasons:
The challenge and fun!
Gaming at low res (1080) and new games like Diablo3
Photoshop CS 5
Some light video editing (non 3d)
And for upgradeability/future "resitance" lol (since proofing is impossible)

Ok, so parts I have already bought and installed:
i7 2600k
H60 corsair cooler (I know it's not the best but I don't plan on OCing like crazy, maybe 4.4 or 4.5 at the most)
16 gb of corsair vengeance ram (hence the h60, it avoided the clearance issues I was running into w air coolers)
1x MSI 6950 TF3 PE (will add a 2nd when the price drops)
Sabertooth p67 mobo (loved the durable components and 5year warranty)
NZXT Phantom case black/green
120gb corsair force gt sata 6gbps SSD
corsair hx850 psu
And a Sony optiarc DVD combo drive.
Windows 7 ultimate

Things I still need:
2x monitors (1 for gaming, 1 for photo edit)
Some storage drives maybe 2x 1tb?raid?
A Bluray drive
Some kind of multicard reader

(suggestions?comments? Opinions?)

Thanks again guys! I will upload pics when I figure out how. Lol

tlmck

Distinguished
Looks pretty good. I would have gone with the more modern z68 motherboard, but Sabertooth p67 is still god.

On running your hard drives, if it came on your mobo driver disk, I would install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers. It has many functions that would help a multiple drive setup. Does not do to bad on single drive setups either. As with any such product, it is always best to study up before using it to make sure it will help your situation. http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020784.htm

ultrabob

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Thanks for the response! I had considered the z68 mobo before purchasing the p67. I was under the impression that the only difference was the onboard video option. Since I was def gonna use a dedicated card, I didn't think it would be of any consequence. I like the military grade hardware and advertised reliability of the sabertooth as well.

I had also considered a RAID setup with maybe 2 1Tb hdd's for my bulk storage. Is that what the intel rapid storage is for? I read the article but in still not quite sure what it is. Is it a driver? Will it conflict with my SSD's sand force driver? Sorry for the noob questions, I'm kind of unfamiliar with a lot of new tech and have been trying to rapidly play catch up. Ive been out of the PC game since the days of the pentium 4. Hahaha

tlmck

Distinguished
The z68 has quite a few other features besides the video option. It is sort of a combination of the H and P67 series Intel chipsets with a few extras thrown in. Here is the best description I have seen. Note it is a direct comparison to P67. It would be your judgement if you found these features useful. http://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/279/images/mb-z68-vs-p67.html

The Intel driver does many things including SSD caching drives, or in your case, setting optimum performance between the SSD and HDD, and also setting up optimum raid with the proposed dual storage drives.

I don't fully understand it myself. I just know when I installed it just for my single drive, I did notice a slight bump in performance. The link I provided was just the overview.You have to sort of drill down from there to get the full picture. I am waiting until I get my 30gb SSD caching drive to study up more myself. Generally I do not recommend such things, but this seems to actually work. We'll see when I get the caching drive.

edit: oops corrected the link.