Help on my build...suggestions, please?

kirov96

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
so my first initial build was an i5-2500k and radeon 6870 combo for my multimedia course in college...I would be using photoshop,AutoCAD, and other multimedia stuff but just now i considered taking computer science and that said I wont be using CPU intensive programs and I've changed my build to 2500k/6870 combo to a 2400/560Ti or 6950 combo(i skimped down on the CPU because im on a budget and the saved money will go to the GPU :D)

So now my build is only just for gaming,web surfing,paper work,Movie watching, and very little photoshop...so is the 2400/560Ti or 6950 combo better for gaming? and skimping down on the CPU will have a great affect on gaming??Should I also settle for a P67 mobo instead of a z68 mobo?
:D

here's the rest of my build:
Case:Corsair Carbide 400r
Mobo:Gigagbye Z68x UD3H B3 Rev 1.3
PSU:CoolerMaster Silent Pro M700w
HDD:WD Caviar blue 500gb
RAM:Corsair Vengeance 8gb
CPU Cooler:CM Hyper 212 Evo
Win7 OEM

and ohhh if I pick the 2400 should i just stick with the stock cooler??

TNX IN ADVANCE!! :sol:

bozari

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Looks really good to me. As for a z68/p67 depends. Since your not using a k series cpu overclock because limitied, and you would probally be better off using a h67 series board instead. I'm not seeing and sli x-fire setup. Some h67 boards have virtu which would allow the gpu on the cpu to speed up encoding (itunes, photos) at a lower quality.

Case, i love corsair cases, using a 650d right now but with that said... since your in college, could save some money and go to a smaller m-atx case and board. The silverston Temjin tj-08 is really nice and silent (just built with one for a friend).

The psu is fine, but i know seasonic has a modular 620 on sale at newegg for $90 that's 620 watts and should be fine for that build.

Save some money, go with a 212+ instead of the evo :)

Hope this helps.

g-unit1111

Titan
here's the rest of my build:
Case:Corsair Carbide 400r
Mobo:Gigagbye Z68x UD3H B3 Rev 1.3
PSU:CoolerMaster Silent Pro M700w
HDD:WD Caviar blue 500gb
RAM:Corsair Vengeance 8gb
CPU Cooler:CM Hyper 212 Evo
Win7 OEM

That looks really good (love Corsair cases and I have the UD3P which is a variant of that motherboard and is excellent) with the exception of your PSU. I normally like Cooler Master stuff but their PSUs have not been getting good reviews. Something like this would be far better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

and ohhh if I pick the 2400 should i just stick with the stock cooler??

This is just my opinion but you'll get a lot of responses here saying that you should stick with the stock cooler. I'm in the minority when I say that even if you don't overclock you should get an aftermarket cooler and here's why. The aftermarket cooler is on a raised heat sink and it will keep the cool air circulating through your PC, prolonging the life of not only your CPU but the rest of the components in your system. You might want to read this about air cooling: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-heatsink,3053.html

So now my build is only just for gaming,web surfing,paper work,Movie watching, and very little photoshop...so is the 2400/560Ti or 6950 combo better for gaming? and skimping down on the CPU will have a great affect on gaming??Should I also settle for a P67 mobo instead of a z68 mobo?

There's a lot of in-fighting, flame wars and speculation over whether ATI/AMD or NVIDIA is better. Here's my take is that if you want to run multiple displays, get a ATI/AMD card like the 6950. If you're using a single display - go NVIDIA. Where the Radeon's biggest strengths lie is with setting up multiple displays and the Eyefinity software, where NVIDIA doesn't have anything remotely close.

so my first initial build was an i5-2500k and radeon 6870 combo for my multimedia course in college...I would be using photoshop,AutoCAD, and other multimedia stuff but just now i considered taking computer science and that said I wont be using CPU intensive programs and I've changed my build to 2500k/6870 combo to a 2400/560Ti or 6950 combo(i skimped down on the CPU because im on a budget and the saved money will go to the GPU :D)

If you're going to overclock, get the 2500K. If you're not going to overclock the 2400 will be perfectly suitable. But the beauty of Z68 is the flexibility and wide variety of CPUs it will support. If you want to drop in another one later, upgrading is no problem.

kirov96

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
@g-unit1111 Whoa!!...that was very informative :D

but does overclocking help in gaming??? and if you were to chose between Sapphire HD 6950 1gb or Palit GTX 560 Ti sonic which one would you chose?? :D

and yes I want to play skyrim,BF3, and other upcoming games on my 1920x1080 23" monitor