Status
Not open for further replies.

songorocosongo

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Hi

I built my first gaming rig ~6 weeks ago and it worked perfectly until 10 minutes ago. My keyboard died and the computer spent a full week turned off. Today I took my brothers keyboard and started playing MW2. I played for 4-5 consecutive hours with Internet Explorer and 3 tabs opened. After a common match I changed to check Tomshardware forum (true) and all of the sudden the signal to the monitor and the sound went off, but the front and top fan kept working. I tried to turn it off by holding the power button but nothing happened, so I turned off the PSU. Turned it on again but only 2 fans and a LED worked, then after ~30 seconds I turned the PSU off again. :pfff:

This is the first time this happens to the rig

PC specs

AMD Phenom II x4 970 stock no OC
ASUS m5a87 mobo
Sapphire 6850
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
ASUS dvd burner
G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified
Rosewill challenger case

I don't what is the problem but I think its the PSU. The rear fan did not turned on, neither did the cpu and gpu fans.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Solution
I'm sorry, this was the first thing that came to mind with the title you chose:
California-210-freway-truck-accident-001.jpg

Back on topic, the fact that it behaves exactly the same whether or not the 4-pin CPU connector is attached does not indicate that that is the problem. Ask around, see if any of your friends has a PSU that you could borrow to test your computer. Try turning it on with nothing but the CPU, PSU, and possibly GPU if your motherboard has no on-board video. If their PSU works, then you know it is in fact the PSU that's the problem.

Since it behaves the same whether or not the CPU is powered, it could just as easily be that the CPU is fried...

songorocosongo

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

killersquirel11

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
I'm sorry, this was the first thing that came to mind with the title you chose:
California-210-freway-truck-accident-001.jpg

Back on topic, the fact that it behaves exactly the same whether or not the 4-pin CPU connector is attached does not indicate that that is the problem. Ask around, see if any of your friends has a PSU that you could borrow to test your computer. Try turning it on with nothing but the CPU, PSU, and possibly GPU if your motherboard has no on-board video. If their PSU works, then you know it is in fact the PSU that's the problem.

Since it behaves the same whether or not the CPU is powered, it could just as easily be that the CPU is fried...

You could also try moving the RAM around/taking out any spare sticks to see if that does anything. I doubt it will, but it's worth a shot.

Also, if you have a multimeter, you could check the voltages when you try to turn it on. Here's a website with decent instructions on that:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/guides/testingPSU/

Solution

I would definatly recomend that psu , Seasonic is one of the best psu makers out there.
Before you make the change you can try the paper clip test.

http://dodji.seketeli.com/downloads/shuttle-psu-paper-clip-test.pdf

songorocosongo

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Well here where I live it is not common to build your own PC and I don't know anyone else who have done it so I can't test another on my PC or my PSU on another PC.
I dont have a multimeter
After I do the paperclip test I'll post the results.
The thing is that I already made the RMA request

Making the RMA request doesn't mean you have to go through with it if you find out that something else is the cause. Once you get the RMA number you have 14 days to ship the item back to the manufacturer and if you don't then it expires. You can always reapply for the RMA again if it expires , I know because I have done it.

songorocosongo

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
The paperclip test was successful.
then I connected only the cpu and the gpu and it turned on!
however the motherboard made some sounds:
first 1 beep, pause, then 2 beeps I don't know what it means

beep.......beebeep

What can I do now to test the rest of the components?
The parts not connected are:
ASUS dvd burner
Samsung HDD
Front and top fans

Well anyway the bios beep codes are to help with troubleshooting and when the computer goes to boot up it runs a series of checks to see if certian components are good to go and they will function properly. The HDD , the cpu , the ram and the video card are the four things that are checked. Asus went so far as to put four led's on the rampage extreme so you could see it check each one. That's why I said it was the video card before and it still could be but it could be that the card is just starting to go and it only is causing a problem when it is being stressed. But that is just a guess on my part because I can only go by what I'm reading from you.
It would not be the dvd drive but if you think it is then unplug it , you don't really use it that much and the computer will work with it unplugged.

Status
Not open for further replies.