ASrock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 System Build Component Compatability Choices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antiflow

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Hi Everyone, I am planing on building a new PC using the ASrock Z68 Extreme7 motherboard.

I discovered that there are so many good component choices out there for this board but no way to make sure that everything both "Fits & Works Properly together"
Dose anyone know where I can find a list of tested and proven build specs for this MOBO?

One of the first potential fit problems I found looks to be with the choice of CPU Cooler and the Type of Ram used, because a lot of high quality Coolers don't have much clearance for the Ram modules
(Especially the ones with heatsink fins on them) to be able to fit underneath the cooler body.

Then there is the question of which Video Card/s
to get because of the same issue, will it all fit together and work well???

Approximate Purchase Date: 1-2 months (the closer the better)

Budget Range:1000 - 1200 / After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies, some photo editing.

Parts Not Required: monitor, speakers, OS) win7-64Bit

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NewEgg.com, Amazon,Tiger Direct, Directron, etc)

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Case SuperFlower sf201t3c Full Aluminum, ASrock Z68 Extreme7Gen3, OCZ-gamexstream-850w-power-supply, i7-2600k CPU, AKASA Venom Voodoo CPU Cooler Socket 2011/1155, Ram ?????

Vertex 3 SATA III VTX3-25SAT3-120G SSD, WD Velociraptor 150g, Sapphire dual-fan HD 6950 1GB GDDR5 PCIE, Plextor B940SA Blu-ray Burner,
Killer 2100 Network Card, Logitech G19 Keyboard, Logitech G5 Gaming Mouse, Akasa,Multi-mode LCD display 4 fan-speed/temp controller.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1200 and or Sony 40" HDMI 1080p Internet TV.

Additional Comments: I know this case is a few years old. I got it cause I liked it, but never got to use it till now. It does have a slide out MB tray in it, but it should be ok size wise and hopefully be able to fit everything in it ok?

This is most of what I have already:

Case: http://www.super-flower.com/sf201t3c.html]

MainBoard:http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Extreme7%20Gen3

PSU: http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-gamexstream-850w-power-supply-eol.html

CPU Cooler: http://www.avadirect.com/product_details_parts.asp?PRID=22543....still deciding??????

CPU: i7-2600k

Fan Controller: http://www.akasa.co.uk/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Accessories&type_sub=Function%20panel&model=AK-FC-03

So Far.....

All the help I can get with putting this together would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
antiflow.

Solution
When using an old case like that you may need to do some modifications and while these mods may seem daunting when you start doing it you find out how easy it is. What it takes is careful planning and not being in a hurry and finding the right parts to help in the mod.
For example you mentioned that the fans are all 80mm , well that can be changed very easy to having one or two that are 120mm or 140mm. In the case I have the side panel had a 200mm fan and it took up a good part of the side panel so that the window was small. I use water cooling so I decided that while the huge fan is nice for air flow I don't really need it so I cut it out and all the metal around it so that there was a big opening. Then taking some rubber channel...
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9
$49.99

If you are concerned with the clearence then you could use the low-profile modules. There are no issues with the video cards fitting on the motherboard , that's what it is made for , the only issue that you could encounter is with the case if it was too small and the HDD cages got in the way if the video card was too long. You did not list any potential video card choices and how many. If you were going with three cards they will fit but the SLI/Crossfire connector bridge might be an issue , unless Asrock provides different configurations because of the spacing.

D

Deleted member 217926

Sli bridges generally come with motherboards while Crossfire connectors come with the graphics cards.

awatz

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

If your using only 2 sticks of RAM, you can put them on the 2nd and 4th slots (from the CPU socket).

antiflow

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

Thanks for that form....it does make it easier.

antiflow

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

Hi and thanks for your response, I have added more information on where I would like to go with this build, (Sorry about that).

You are right about the low profile ram modules, however I have seen lots of people using the RipJaw Modules with these boards. They must only be using 2 sticks though?... If I did do that, would it be best to go with 2- 8G sticks to make up 16G's of 1600?

antiflow

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

Hi, I really don't know what would be best 4-4GB Sticks or 2-8GB Sticks? I do know what would be much cheaper....

awatz

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

I really dont know which would be best but with using only 2 sticks, you've solved your clearance problem by placing them on the 2nd and 4th slots

I have an Z68 Extreme3, 2 sticks of RipjawsX, and a Hyper 212EVO. I placed my RAM on the 2nd and 4th slots

The placement of the fan on the Hyper 212 evo can be adjusted upwards or downwards , so having tall RAM isnt really a problem if you put a stick of RAM on the 1st slot.
I dont know if you can do this with other coolers

D

Deleted member 217926

The Hyper 212+ or Hyper 212 Evo are both great low priced coolers. If you want something a bit better and still cheap look at the Scythe Mugen 3. Any of these coolers should get you to 4.5Ghz safely.

As long as you get the low profile Corsair Vengance or any GSkill Ripjaws X memory you will not have any clearance issues. I have a Scythe Mugen 2 ( no longer made-replaced by the Mugen 3 ) and it does cover the RAM slots but my Ripjaws X fits under it.

If you really do think that you will use 16gb of ram then get the two 8gb sticks if not then go with two 4gb sticks and by using the low profile you are not restrickted to using certian slots , and if you have good ventillation in your case you don't need the tall heat spreaders especially if the cpu heat sink fan is placed so it's drawing air in and blowing it out towards the rear of the case , thart creates a draft going over the ram slots and helping to cool the ram sticks.

antiflow

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Thank You everyone for your suggestions. I now think that I can get around the clearance issue with the ram and CPU Cooler. I am leaning towards the RipJaw X memory at the moment.

Did anyone get a chance yet to check out the other components that I have lined up for this build?

I would really like to hear your opinions on what you guys would recommend for trouble free assembly and stable system build for this Rig.

Criticism is Welcome, When it's Productive and Proven.

Thanks,

antiflow

Is there a reason why you are so concerned about everything "fitting and working well together"? Have you encountered problems before? From what I've seen of your build there are no issues , the case is a mid tower and it will fit the components that you want to put into it just like it was designed to do. You don't have any unusual parts that you are trying to put in it. Have you ever built a computer before?
It is pretty straight forward and easy there are no hidden secrets or challenges to putting it together , it;s actually very enjoyable to put one together and it's even more enjoyable to make modifications to the case and make it look unique , which is what I have done to a CoolerMaster Half-X.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Extreme7 $279.99
2600K $324.99
Total: $604.98

Extreme3 2011 $214.99
3820 (Feb 13) $289.99
Total: $504.98

Am I missing something here? First the only reason you'd need an NF200 1155 board is if you're planning on running 3x gpu. If that's the case you should be looking at 2011 anyways. If not then why are you spending $270 for a motherboard when you can get one for half that price that offers the same functionality?

antiflow

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

Yes, I have built a PC before from scratch, But it was about 10 years ago. (That PC only recently died) So I am a bit concerned that the case I am using may have some issues with fit and and compliance with today's new products.

I like the case and want to use it if it will work well for me on this build.
However, It is rather old-school as far as design and intended functionality.

Firstly the PSU is up top, not down the bottom like all of today's new cases are.
The case fans are only 80mm however there are 5 of them. Not at all like today's new cases that mount 120mm fans or even larger.
It has no SSD support so I will have to find a mounting tray for it.
Also, having 3 windows in this case, it uses a slide in / slide out MB tray which I was concerned about because it may have left me with less space towards to opposite side of the case (window) to be able to mount a MB and one of the high-end "very Tall CPU Coolers" without getting too close or touching that opposite case window.

Lastly, I have read that certain manufacturers Video Cards can be overly large and also very Long as well, and some folks have had to modify their cases to accommodate them.
So, Please excuse me for being so anal about this but, I was trying to make sure that the components I choose will work well together and not present me with any major issues while I am putting this system together.

I'm No expert, so I wanted to double check all of my parts selections with the very people who are experts and know much more than me about all of this stuff.

Thanks,
antiflow.

antiflow

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.
The reason I chose this MB is because I want a good and fast system that is still rather cost effective, because X79 right now just isn't.
I figure I can stay somewhat future proof with this board and build because I can (if needed) simply upgrade certain components and switch to an Ivy Bridge CPU if necessary.
Also, as things progress and the cost of the high end video cards decreases I will definitely be adding a Second and even third card to this Rig.
So, as far as I can tell, this is the only reasonably priced system build that dose offer a decent future for both the newer games and high performance computing.

Thanks,
Antiflow.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

Z68:
Extreme7 $279.99
2600K $324.99
2x4GB: $35.00
Total: $639.98

X79:
Extreme3 2011 $214.99
3820 (Feb 13) $289.99
4x4GB: $80.00
Total: $584.98

Assuming you can wait 2 weeks for the 3820 you'd come out cheaper with X79. You'd also have pci-e 3.0 and 40 natural pci-e lanes vs the 20+20 of NF200. Not to mention 16GB quad channel vs 8GB dual.

3820 and 2600k are both going to perform similar to one another, at stock speeds and overclocked. The 3820 just makes for a less expensive entry to X79.

awatz

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

My system usage is the same as yours
gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies, some photo editing.

The Extreme7 is overkill and not cost effective.
You can get cheaper boards like the Z68 extreme4 gen3 or extreme3 gen3 that can handle your requirements. They can also support Ivy Bridge and are SLI/Xfire capable.

A 2500k is way cheaper and more than enough for what you want to do

Some SSDs comes with the brackets so you dont have to buy 1.

I think you can get a better and cheaper cooler than the Akasa.

You can get a more modern and spacious case that the Superflower

When using an old case like that you may need to do some modifications and while these mods may seem daunting when you start doing it you find out how easy it is. What it takes is careful planning and not being in a hurry and finding the right parts to help in the mod.
For example you mentioned that the fans are all 80mm , well that can be changed very easy to having one or two that are 120mm or 140mm. In the case I have the side panel had a 200mm fan and it took up a good part of the side panel so that the window was small. I use water cooling so I decided that while the huge fan is nice for air flow I don't really need it so I cut it out and all the metal around it so that there was a big opening. Then taking some rubber channel molding I put it around the inside edge and then fastened a full sheet of plexi to the back of the panel and now I had a full size window and a smaller 120mm fan was cut into the window for some air flow. The end result is a nice full window that looks like the case came with it.
That's an example of what you can do if you want to make changes to accomodate what you want. The same holds for your case that you want to use , if there is a video card that you want then if it don't fit you can make it fit with a little creativity.
The SSD issue with it not fitting , some SSD's ship with an adaptor so that you can use it in a regular HDD rack. The Corsair Force GT that I have came with the adaptor and I don't know if others do but this makes it fit in the HDD rack with no ptoblem.
The video cards always have the dimensions listed in the details tab on the web page and the length is one of the important measurements that is included so you will always know how long the card is to know if it will fit.

Solution

antiflow

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Hi, Thanks for all the great advice, I don't mind doing some mods to my case, Just as long as They don't get out of hand, like having to extend the case or leave something off or open on it.

I already have most of the tools I would need to modify the internals and cages like a dremel, & nibblers etc, so no problem there.

http://www.super-flower.com/sf201t3c.html

Would you be able to advise me as to the best way of changing both the 2 intake and 2 exhaust fans to be able to fit a larger single fan in their places?

As you can see in the pic's in the above link, the two front intake fans are side by side and the two rear exhaust fans are over and under mounted. The problem I see is that the vent holes both front and back are already set out to accommodate the 80mil fans and I really don't have the space to drill a bigger round pattern for a 120mm fan.

Any suggestions?

The Fifth 80mm fan is set in the Top case window and I think that I may be rather restricted with what I can do with it because the window section itself is only 80mm wide or there about's.

What difference would it make to the overall case ventilation flow using a 120mm case fan and the existing vent holes designed for all of the 80mil fans?

Lastly, To be able to properly measure the length required to mount the right GPU's and make sure that they will fit. I would need to have the motherboard already installed into the case, right?
Or is there some other way of doing this?

To: a4mula and awatz, Thanks Guys for your input on this, but just to let you know.

I already have the i7-2600k CPU, I managed to get a smoking deal on it and only paid 250 for it.
I have also looked at just about ALL of the Z68 MoBo's out there and think that I will stick to the ASrock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 because It has pretty much all that I'm looking for. I'm just waiting to see if I can get it when/if, it goes on sale again for 242.99. At that price I do think that it is well worth it.

Thanks Everyone,

antiflow.

P.S. What do you guys think of this SSD? http://tinyurl.com/7ue8ajk

Status
Not open for further replies.