Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Considering Cpu and Motherboard Upgrade

Last response: in Systems
January 28, 2012 3:40:46 AM

Hello i am new to this forum and its the first forum ive ever used, but i would like some input on this.

Well here are my current specs and this system actually started as a Gateway SX-2800 and i have made somthing pretty decent out of it.

Intel core 2 quad q8200@ 2.33Ghz
4Gb Samsung DDR3 1333
640Gb Hitachi deskstar hard drive
XFX ATI Radeon HD 6770
Corsair CX430 430 watt PSU
Still using original Gateway Motherboard
and some old Cyberpower Computer case

I would like to futureproof my pc but im pretty content with this setup, it runs Just Cause 2 Concrete Jungle benchmark all the eye candy maxed @ 1920 x 1080 at 37-60 fps and Farcry 2 benchmarks very high preset and physics 8x AA @ 1920 x 1080 45-60 Fps Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas on ultra same res never drops below 60 Fps. Anyways here are the two combos I came up with.

MSI P67A-G45 LGA 1155
Intel Core i5-2400 3.1Ghz Sandy Bridge Quad Core
or
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+
AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3Ghz 6 core

I would like to know if I should stick to my current setup or if I should go with the Intel or AMD and if there are any other suggestions and I would also like to know what psu to use with the upgrade preferebly Corsair or Antec, my budget should not go over $400.
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
January 28, 2012 3:54:00 AM

Of those two definitely the intel ., but avoid P67 motherboards . Either use the Z68 chipset or save money and get an H61 or H67 motherboard .

You will not be able to re-use the copy of windows that came with the gateway

and the RAM for both sandy bridge and FX should be 1.5 volt or less, so that may need replacement too
a b B Homebuilt system
January 28, 2012 4:05:37 AM

If you view this Tom's chart, you can note the position of your current CPU. General rule of thumb is you need to go up three rungs on the chart to see significant improvement. In your case, that would start at the Core i3-2100 / AMD FX-8150 level. Also note that AMD has no answer in the top rung. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-overcloc...

Having sad that, it is still a fact that the video card has more impact than a CPU upgrade. This other Tom's chart is for video cards. Same three rung rule applies. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

Unfortunately in this case, the video upgrade would also prompt a PSU upgrade. It might be a little tight, but I think the CX 430 might just run a 6950 level card. As I recall, it had a fair amount of amps on the +12v rail.

Having said all that, it sounds like your current machine is doing what you need it to do. In general, I do not upgrade until mine stops doing what it needs to do. Another angle would be to wait until the Ivy Bridge CPUs arrive in April, and hopefully the rest of the AMD 7000 series cards along with it. The AMD cards are supposedly going to be a bit faster and draw less power than the 6000 series at each level.
Related resources
January 28, 2012 3:38:27 PM

Outlander_04 said:
Of those two definitely the intel ., but avoid P67 motherboards . Either use the Z68 chipset or save money and get an H61 or H67 motherboard .

You will not be able to re-use the copy of windows that came with the gateway

and the RAM for both sandy bridge and FX should be 1.5 volt or less, so that may need replacement too

I have my own copy of windows 7, wasnt a big fan of windows vista. Thanks for the tip on the ram and I kind of figured the intel because looking at benchmark score that intel blew away the amd. i remember a time when amd blew away intel but thats not now. I also would like to know if later on i should get a second 6770 or i was thinking either two gtx 560 ti"s or a gtx 580 but thats quite a bit of cash to think about spending ao think of it as a cost to performance ratio.
January 28, 2012 5:41:39 PM

Quote:
If money is burning a hole in your pocket, buy a SSD. A 80gb unit will hold the os and half a dozen games. It will rejuvinate your pc and can be carried forward to a new build.
The CX430 has 28 amps on a single 12 volt rail design

Best solution

January 28, 2012 6:12:54 PM

I switched from a Phenom II X4 to a 2500K a couple weeks agho. I t was a grewat decision. I'd go for the 2500K over the 2400, I'm not too sure on the price difference, but it's something around 30 or 40 dollars I'm sure. This gives you slightly better performance, but it also allows you to overclock, which, even though you may not bhe interested in doing so right now, is an awesome feature to have.
a c 83 B Homebuilt system
January 28, 2012 6:17:42 PM

1) It sounds like you have no compelling reason to change now.

2) Of the two combo's you mentioned, I would prefer the intel one, but even more, I would pick something different from either today.

3) Early April, we will see the 22nm ivy bridge desktops. They will add perhaps 10% more to the current intel sandy bridge advantage. For long term, I would wait for that.

4) If money is burning a hole in your pocket, buy a SSD. A 80gb unit will hold the os and half a dozen games. It will rejuvinate your pc and can be carried forward to a new build.

5) An upgrade to your 6770 will need a stronger psu. In a couple of months, we will see some of the new generation 28nm graphics cards arrive in the mainstream segment.
Possibly you might then find a good upgrade that will still run on your excellent Corsair 430w unit. Regardless, it might pay to wait until then.
January 28, 2012 7:09:35 PM

Quote:
4) If money is burning a hole in your pocket, buy a SSD. A 80gb unit will hold the os and half a dozen games. It will rejuvinate your pc and can be carried forward to a new build.

I would buy an ssd but gateway doesn't believe in leaving things the way they are meant to be so my mother board has 2 sata connections out of the five you can see it should have and all of my games total out to 360Gb and i couldn't use both drives.
February 5, 2012 5:33:28 PM

Best answer selected by jmccarty13.
February 5, 2012 7:58:09 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!