Sign in with
Your question

Largest size for a tv before loosing resolution

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 28, 2011 6:58:08 PM

What is the optimum size for a TV before loosing resolution?
a c 153 U Graphics card
November 28, 2011 7:00:19 PM

You're never going to loose RESOLUTION. I think you mean quality? That totally depends on the TV. Some 37 inch TVs get blurry at 1920x1080, while some look great even way past that.

It depends on the TV.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 28, 2011 7:00:59 PM

That depends on how far away your viewing position is.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 28, 2011 7:07:47 PM

Technically speaking, the answer is a 30" (2560x1600) monitor.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 28, 2011 7:13:46 PM

what matters is density and distance. 1080p looks just fine in the mid 40" range. In my opinion most TVs start loosing quality ~55 inches. Interestingly projectors can still look crisp in the 100"+ range if done correctly.
I find that it is best to take your favorite blue ray disc and go to a store that will let you play it and see how it looks before purchasing.
m
l
December 30, 2011 6:33:03 AM

So if we compare apples to apples, taking the same brand and type of High quality TV sets, if we compare a 30inch with a 60 inch with a 90 inch all with 1080p specs, won't the 90 inch seem intrinsically less clear because the lines of resolution are in theory further apart than the 30inch TV? So back to my initial question of "is there an optimum size screen where the 1080p display will be at its best, and any added increase in screen size will degrade the picture". Another way to ask this question is "what is the optimum size screen to have so that the 1080p display will be at its best?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 11:20:17 AM

chulee said:
So if we compare apples to apples, taking the same brand and type of High quality TV sets, if we compare a 30inch with a 60 inch with a 90 inch all with 1080p specs, won't the 90 inch seem intrinsically less clear because the lines of resolution are in theory further apart than the 30inch TV? So back to my initial question of "is there an optimum size screen where the 1080p display will be at its best, and any added increase in screen size will degrade the picture". Another way to ask this question is "what is the optimum size screen to have so that the 1080p display will be at its best?

Again, that depends on your viewing distance. it is all a matter of perspective. If you sit far enough away from the 90 inch screen it will APPEAR as large as the 30 inch screen, and therefore have the SAME apparent "crispness". :o  If you sit close enough to the 30 inch screen, it will appear as large as the 90 inch screen. and as uncrisp.

At a given distance, the smaller screen size will always appear sharper because the pixels are smaller.

The answer to your question is: If you sit at the optimum distance for the screen size away from the screen, there should be NO apparent loss of resolution or "crispness". :D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 2:23:43 PM

clarkjd gave a pretty good description.
As for your direct question, the "quality degrading" is very subjective. I for instance am not bothered by pixelated view since I was used to 640x480 resolution on 19" monitor.

What you can do is see a modest TV in shops (obviously with a quality content displayed), and close in until you think the quality is degraded for you. So that is the distance you consider minimum for that TV size (or the maximum TV size for that distance). Let's say they are "d" (distance) and "s" (size). Now measure your home viewing distance ("hd") and the formula (hd/d)*s will be you maximum TV size. I'm sure it'll be bigger than your wall.
Now, there could be other factors that don't scale with size. For instance I remember a long time ago that some very big TV had black horizontal lines between each TV line. But I think this is not an issue with today's LCD TVs, as that was a CRT screen whose lines cannot be too big, whereas LCD pixels can be as big as you want. For instance Sharp has announced a 108" fullHD TV, which would roughly have a 10x10 pixel matrix the size of a nail. In that case, you would definitely see the "RGB" matrix at 1m.
m
l
January 25, 2013 1:53:51 PM

chulee said:

Dear friend, i was also having same question in mind for six month and i got answer when i installed and run standard CALIBUG software on my PC.----ANSWER I CONCLUDED IS 26 inch monitor is optimum for 1920X1080p.......JAISWALRC@yahoo.com
m
l
!