Sign in with
Your question
Closed

XFX Radeon HD 4890 No Fan Speed Readings

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 28, 2011 7:58:32 PM

The fan on my card is clearly running but there is no reading in CCC or GPU-Z for the speed (it's just 0%).

I was encountering the horrible screech/click/bike pedal sound so I tried a couple of restarts and it went away. Between restarts the percent just disappeared. It was set at 60, now it's 0. I dismantled the card and applied some WD-40 to the fan. No more sound, but still no fan speed reading.

Any thoughts?

More about : xfx radeon 4890 fan speed readings

November 28, 2011 9:37:33 PM

Does it have the 3/4 pin connection to the motherboard or a connection from the fan to the card that isn't plugged in after you dismantled it?
Score
November 28, 2011 10:11:34 PM

The fan is connected to the card via a 2 pin. The only connection to the motherboard is through the PCIe slot. Everything is how it was before on the card itself as far as I can tell. I just took another look at it and still don't see why-oh-why this is happening.

Temps and clock speeds are still able to be altered. Both changes appear in GPU-Z and CCC. I'm keeping it at stock for now though, I sense fan speed would be helpful in a true OC.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

November 29, 2011 12:23:24 AM

I went into gpu-z just to check mine...it says I'm going at 40%. It's not set to show minimum instead of current? It sounds like your fan is working fine you just don't have a way to prove it anymore...you might also check to see if there is a bios option for the PCIe slot fan.
November 29, 2011 12:40:03 AM

the card on the link use two 6 pins connector did you put them on
Score
November 30, 2011 1:07:52 AM

I did. Agree though, my card is currently working if not telling me. I was just curious.
Score
November 30, 2011 1:22:42 AM

try this if you use win 7 those gadget work on desktop http://www.myfavoritegadgets.info/ you could use thesystem monitor 11 for cpu and the gpu monitor for graphic
Score
December 6, 2011 10:59:17 PM

Best answer selected by iamtheother.
Score
!