Sign in with
Your question

Best bang per buck CPU under 100$

Last response: in CPUs
May 11, 2012 2:40:00 PM

I need a new CPU for under 100$. Im thinking of the FM1 Athlon II CPU's (i know i have no upgrade path but i don't need one).
So i have a few questions:
Can Athlon II 631 and 641 OC or is it just the Athlon II 651K is able to OC?
If they can OC what is the common possible OC?
Are FM1 Athlon II CPU's just an APU without integrated graphics?
Will TX3 cooler do the job for OCing?

Is there a better buy for under 100$, i would really like not to get a dual core CPU.

Im buying from local store and the CPU will be used for gaming @ 1280x720 resolution and Movie watching.

More about : bang buck cpu 100

a c 109 à CPUs
May 11, 2012 2:56:08 PM

1) For your needs, I see no need to get something better than the Athlon II 651k. Though unfortunately, the other CPU's other than the 'K'-sku won't be able to overclock very much, so it would be best to get the 651k. Not too sure about the max OC, you'll have to play around with that to see for yourself :) 

2) I'm not sure what to tell you about the FM1 Athlons, but from what it looks like, yes they do look like APU's without their graphics cores.

3) TX3 is a good choice for a cooler, but don't expect to do some HEAVY overclocking with it (I may be wrong, it's still a pretty beefy cooler compared to the stock).
a b à CPUs
May 11, 2012 2:57:37 PM

Phenom II 965BE's cost about $120 that extra $20 would give you alot more bang for your buck than the athlon.

Pentium G620 is around same price as the Athlons performance is similar (better in a few things) but thats a dual core.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 11, 2012 3:30:43 PM

axew said:
I need a new CPU for under 100$. Im thinking of the FM1 Athlon II CPU's (i know i have no upgrade path but i don't need one).
So i have a few questions:
Can Athlon II 631 and 641 OC or is it just the Athlon II 651K is able to OC?
If they can OC what is the common possible OC?
Are FM1 Athlon II CPU's just an APU without integrated graphics?
Will TX3 cooler do the job for OCing?

Is there a better buy for under 100$, i would really like not to get a dual core CPU.

Im buying from local store and the CPU will be used for gaming @ 1280x720 resolution and Movie watching.

Are you upgrading your motherboard too or just looking for a cpu upgrade in existing motherboard? If the later, what is your current motherboard?
a c 185 à CPUs
May 11, 2012 3:42:37 PM

Pentium G850.
May 11, 2012 3:43:33 PM

No im building a whole new system. My budget is arround 450$. I need everything except the os,k/m and speakers. Is the unlocked 651 worth the 20$ over the 641??
I wont OC too much, 3.4 GHz at most.
Also the phenom II mentioned is not fitting my CPU budget (around $90).Also the i don't need to buy the TX3 cooler as i bought it a few months ago for my old CPU so im just reusing it.

@jeffredo Im buying at local store here in serbia.
@amuffin the g850 is dual core and not OC'able. I prefer the other way.

Also if the FM1 athlons are just APU's without the IGP i may get the athlon x3 CPU. APU's aren't that great in terms of CPU power.Or are athlons similar to APU's in CPU perrformance?
!