Will a bench test case effect cooling?

Will using a bench test case effect the cooling of a computer?

Here is an example by DIYPC:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353001

This question is purely related on the cooling aspect of an open case. Please ignore issues such as kids, pets, spilled food, dust, etc.

In some of my searching, most of the open case discussions revolved around the pet issue and not how it effects cooling.

My curiousity stems from the hand fabbed "open" case I will be using for my new computer(i7-3930k in sig).
3 answers Last reply
More about will bench test case effect cooling
  1. Without the issues you say to ignore, an open cased computer will run cool. Some cases designed for cooling actually work better than open air since airflow is directed around components for heat dissipation whereas your test bench type setup wouldn't have that without addtional fans (I don't think I've ever seen a test bench that had fan holding accessories but, if you're building it...). Of course a large room fan type thing would work if blowing across your mobo.
  2. LilJohn said:
    Will using a bench test case effect the cooling of a computer?

Here is an example by DIYPC:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353001

This question is purely related on the cooling aspect of an open case. Please ignore issues such as kids, pets, spilled food, dust, etc.

In some of my searching, most of the open case discussions revolved around the pet issue and not how it effects cooling.

My curiousity stems from the hand fabbed "open" case I will be using for my new computer(i7-3930k in sig).

:lol:
    Still running an X58 system, no experience with 3rd gen I7 temps
    Room temperature will play an even bigger part in cooling, especially with the gpu in my experience
    Still need airflow across the board to get the heat away from components, even if watercooling
  3. Hmmm... looks like my sig isn't popping up :non:
    The more relevent parts are:
    ASUS R4E motherboard
    ASUS 560ti x2
    Intel 520 180G SSD
    Corsair H100 water cooler (May upgrade later)
    Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W

C12Friedman said:
    Without the issues you say to ignore, an open cased computer will run cool. Some cases designed for cooling actually work better than open air since airflow is directed around components for heat dissipation whereas your test bench type setup wouldn't have that without addtional fans (I don't think I've ever seen a test bench that had fan holding accessories but, if you're building it...). Of course a large room fan type thing would work if blowing across your mobo.

The case is constructed so the radiator and fans are mounted next to the MB. The fans are being run to pull air across the MB and then push it through the radiator.

Good point on some cases being designed to "force" air flow. It did cross my mind but I wasn't sure how much of an effect it would really have.

Anonymous said:
    :lol:
    Still running an X58 system, no experience with 3rd gen I7 temps
    Room temperature will play an even bigger part in cooling, especially with the gpu in my experience
    Still need airflow across the board to get the heat away from components, even if watercooling

See above about how air is flowing currently. I could add more fans "easily" if needed.

I will be keeping an eye on all the parts while I tinker with it.

One of the goals of this build is keeping it somewhat quiet. So far the system is VERY quiet... under no load :lol: Finally got the CPU last night so I have 1 hour of play so far.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cases Computers Benchmark Cooling Components Product