Sign in with
Your question

two wireless routers

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 29, 2005 3:34:39 PM

is it possible to use two wireless routers as cooperating waps? i want to have a wap on each side of the house and i have 2 routers but i dont know if they will just interfere with eachother. will the second realise that the other is using a certain number of channels and it will just use the others?

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>

More about : wireless routers

June 29, 2005 6:10:25 PM

hmmm... that sounds cool cause you obviously want to have unbelievable wireless connection i assume right? well i just did alittle research on google and it so happens you can have an AP on each side of the house and it will work. You probley have to do alittle configureing.. but i just saw a diagram and it works.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
June 29, 2005 6:17:16 PM

your better off useing a ROUTER... and then buy seperate AP's.

If you also have a problem buyin that.. they sell RANGE EXTENDERS.. that will allow you to cover more area.

Just do some google'in and read about it.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
Related resources
June 29, 2005 7:34:39 PM

i can probly make do with just one router but the house is pretty big and its 2 floors in the back of the house, just thought it would be good to have one situated in a good location for the bedrooms then another in the attic near the backyard.

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>
June 29, 2005 8:47:35 PM

well its up to you obviously

just thought i'd through out some info for ya.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
June 30, 2005 12:37:18 PM

You can buy a second Router/AP combo and simply use it as an AP. Typically they are cheaper than dedicated AP's. The only real configuration you'd have to do is use non overlapping channels on the two devices. You can choose from channels 1,6, and/or 11. I'd use the same SSID and encryption keys/passphrases etc... So I assume you have network drops on the other side of the room connected to your wired infrastructure? Or were you asking if the second AP could be used to repeat? In that case you'll need a WDS primary AP (your existing AP/Router combo) and either an AP that supports WDS or use a third party firmware for something like the Linksys WRT54G. Router/AP combos only function as AP's usually. Very, very few exceptions however with the WRT54G you can get aftermarket firmware that allows this functionality.
June 30, 2005 5:43:49 PM

I believe Linksys routers can be used as APs to connect to another router to do what you're trying to do.

I spent a week trying to do what you want, except my roommate has D-Link equipment which sucks. You have to buy specific equipment to put 1 on either end and have them work together.

Linksys by default will be able to do this - at least that's my understanding, I didn't want to go purchase two wireless products so I could use my work laptop at home once a month.

D-Link requires a special Wireless to Ethernet thing, which the rep told me doesn't sell that often and isn't in stores that often. Why? Because it only hooks up to another wireless point and lets wired connections get to it. It doesn't work as a wireless AP. I thought that was BS and too many products to purchase.
June 30, 2005 6:51:36 PM

Incorrect. There was one or two off off brands that the router/AP combo had briding functionality natively. Linksys is not one of them. However, as mentioned, if you get the WRT54G you can get third party firmware to accomplish this. As a rule AP/ROuter combo's don't bridge. The only exception out of the box I have ever seen was a Buffalo device and one other that I can't remember at the moment. Definitely not Linksys.
!