Sign in with
Your question

SLI question (cards too close)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 28, 2011 10:00:38 PM

Hi there...

I have been thinking about getting another GTX-570, i currently own a Gainward 570 Golden Sample that comes with a pretty nice cooler, it can keep temps around 75Cº after running Furmark for about 10 minutes, it took almost 2 minutes to go from 74ºC to 75ºC so i believe that even if it was going to get higher it wouldn't be anything alarming... i think.

Anyway, if i get another one, since my pci-ex slots are separated only by one pci slot, the card will be separated only by 2 or 3 millimeters, and i am afraid it will make temps a constant worry. So basically, this leaves me with two questions...

Obviously, the first question is if i should be worried about having the cards too close. (is there anyone in a similar situation that can give me some feedback?)

And the second question is if i can make the card in the second slot (the one bellow the primary one) the primary card, so the card that will heat more will be the one with the unobstructed cooler...

btw... I currently have a i7 920 oc'ed to 3.33Ghz and i was wondering if it will bottleneck these cards...

Should i sell my 570 and add a few more bucks to get two 560ti or a 580?

Or should i do something else i haven't mentioned yet?

I leave my final decision in your hands...

Thanks in advance and sorry for the bad english...

a c 153 U Graphics card
November 28, 2011 10:08:34 PM

My GTX 260's are sandwiched together like that. They do get awfully hot, but not hot enough to warrant any problems. I have a 240mm fan blowing directly onto them.
November 28, 2011 10:11:25 PM

if you are already oc ing your cpu is that water cooled? if it is just make a loop for the gpu's and then you would not have to worry about temps at all. but i dont know if that is an option for you...
Related resources
a c 254 U Graphics card
November 28, 2011 10:16:17 PM

You can mount an additional fan almost anywhere insida a case , so you could have one in the side pannel or at the end of the video cards so that it is blowing from front to back. The primary card is the one that is in the first slot closest to the cpu and having the two cards close together usually is not a problem since there are vents on the video card for it to draw in air from the top and the end and not just the side.
November 28, 2011 10:21:38 PM

Helltech said:
My GTX 260's are sandwiched together like that. They do get awfully hot, but not hot enough to warrant any problems. I have a 240mm fan blowing directly onto them.

My case is a tagan monolize, it has two 250mm side fans with 180cfm each, so air flow ain't exactly a problem here but i am afraid of the air flow between the cards, my gtx570 cooler does not have any opening on the sides...

sharpbrick said:
if you are already oc ing your cpu is that water cooled? if it is just make a loop for the gpu's and then you would not have to worry about temps at all. but i dont know if that is an option for you...

No... unfortunately i don't have any WC, i think that the price of a decent WC kit is way to high for someone who's not a great OC enthusiast like me, well, to say the true i kinda like OC but i am also just a young padawan at it, otherwise i wouldn't have my i7-920 running only at 3.33Ghz.
November 28, 2011 10:30:43 PM

inzone said:
You can mount an additional fan almost anywhere insida a case , so you could have one in the side pannel or at the end of the video cards so that it is blowing from front to back. The primary card is the one that is in the first slot closest to the cpu and having the two cards close together usually is not a problem since there are vents on the video card for it to draw in air from the top and the end and not just the side.

The problem is the my card only have a small opening at the end, something like 6 by 2 centimeters, and my cooler have two fans, not like the refence coolers that have only one high rpm fan near the end of the card where that opening is, now that i come to think of it, i guess that the reference coolers are better for SLI because of that design.

Reference cooler:

Gainward GS cooler:
November 29, 2011 1:15:50 AM

Sorry for the bump but if we end up not getting a reply in a hour or two then our thread goes straight to the bottom of the page, i haven't read all the forum rules but if it's against them just let me know and it won't happen again.
a c 254 U Graphics card
November 29, 2011 1:25:03 AM

I would think the with the two big side fans you have and the two fans on the gpu that you will be well ventillated and not be overheating. The heat threshhold of a gpu is a lot higher than a cpu , by about 30c. Do you have a good amount of fans to pull air out of the case.
!