Motherboard can destroy Graphics cards?

red9iron

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
July 2010- I built a computer using older parts. It is a core 2 duo with a Geforce 8800 in it. In March 2011, the graphics card went bad. I did not use the computer until November 22, 2011 when I found my old X300 Radeon graphics card. I used the card until yesterday when the card stopped working..

So, effectively, my computer has been through 2 graphics card in about 1 week of running time.

My concerns is, I just bought a new graphics card and will be getting it Weds. Should I be concerned that this card will go bad as well? Was it the graphics card age more at fault or can a motherboard actually do harm to a graphics card?

I was thinking it might be the power supply but, it is new and the X300 does not have a direct connection to the power supply..

Thoughts?

You used the first card for 8-9 months before it went bad so the computer did not destroy two video cards in a weeks time. Then the second card you put in was an old card to begin with so there really isn't a very strong case for the motherboard destroying video cards. If you had put in two brand new cards one after the other then I would say it was the motherboard. So at this point you may have to just put it in unless you just want to replace the motherboard and not take a chance.

TRENDING THREADS