FX6100 vs. FX4100 vs. Intel Options

chad_agwing

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I have an HD6850 GPU which is good enough I think, but what is better for gaming?

I mean, the GPU takes all the graphics right? So all we're fighting for is Ghz which AMD offers for a better value.

Am I right or wrong?

Solution
You're wrong unfortunately. Clock Speed does matter, but efficiency is key. Basically the FXs do less instructions per clock than the intel CPUs, so the intel CPUs don't need to be clocked as fast to achieve similar performance. But at current speeds the intel CPUs are far faster, and the unlocked sandy bridge CPUs clock up to 4.8-5.0 ghz on air (dunno about ivy) which is about where the FX series conks out anyway. If you're builiding a gaming rig, go for intel. If you have to go AMD go for the Phenom ii series they're actually faster per clock than its successor. Think Pentium 4. Thats what the Phenom FX is like.

Blahman11

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
You're wrong unfortunately. Clock Speed does matter, but efficiency is key. Basically the FXs do less instructions per clock than the intel CPUs, so the intel CPUs don't need to be clocked as fast to achieve similar performance. But at current speeds the intel CPUs are far faster, and the unlocked sandy bridge CPUs clock up to 4.8-5.0 ghz on air (dunno about ivy) which is about where the FX series conks out anyway. If you're builiding a gaming rig, go for intel. If you have to go AMD go for the Phenom ii series they're actually faster per clock than its successor. Think Pentium 4. Thats what the Phenom FX is like.

Solution

Blahman11

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
I don't know of any but there will be someone who does know where one can be found. It is sad, there used to be a time when David was beating Goliath when it was Athlon 64 versus Pentium 4 and Athlon 64X2 versus Pentium D. But now the tables have turned and the AMDs lack of corporate size is showing in terms of fabrication process, and they've messed up with the FX big time too.

Look if your trying to save money...

If you want Intel: All you need is a 2500K
If you want AMD: Phenom II X6 or Phenom II x4 980. Make sure you get black edition Phenom II's

If your gaming, that is what you need.

If your doing things which require heavy workloads... you need a 2600K. Bottom line, if you havn't gotten AMD yet. Get Intel. if your stuck with AMD, get the best they make. The only Bulldozer CPU worth mentioning is the 8150. Haters can't hate on my post because i was a previous user of bulldozer (FX 6100) I know the architecture and it wasn't all that great

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
IPC is only part of the problem. AMD designed Bulldozer for heavily threaded apps that don't exist in the consumer market. There's also other issues with the design, but frankly I'm too lazy to pull up the articles to find the information, but if you read the articles on Anandtech about Bulldozer, they covered them pretty well.

The size of the company isn't exactly a problem. They lack funding due to Intel's previous marketing tactics. Doesn't matter how large or small a company is, if funds don't exist for proper R&D.

chad_agwing

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I'm upgrading from an old Athlon system in a ddr2 memory build.

So I've been convinced to get Intel (the only thing that caught my eye was the pricetag of the FX series), do I have any options in Intel that would beat the 4100/6100 of AMD at the same price point?

Blahman11

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Well the Core i3s are solid performers, mixing it with the high end Phenoms for £100 ish (If you don't live in England sorry I dunno the prices anywhere else). Core i5s start at £140. Theres not much difference between Ivy and Sandy CPUs in terms of price but the unlocked sandys are cheaper

Blahman11

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

Whats your motherboard? You might be able to get an AM3 Phenom ii to work on it. You'll bring your system up to speed and save yourself quite a bit of money at the same time.

chad_agwing

Honorable
May 11, 2012
^ All true, but I've been meaning to upgrade to ddr3 RAM now and I can't find Phenom anywhere anymore.

An i3-2120 looks to be the closest in price. Is it any good? It's does not feature unlocked multipliers so that's unfortunate...

Find a similarly priced socket 1155 CPU. The price/performance is pretty well matched.

If you want to look for an advantage you can overclock FX-6100 where you can't OC an i3-2120.

The better option is probably Phenom II X4 960T or Phenom II X4 965 / X4 975

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
+1 i3, if the i5-2500k is out of price range.

That will leave you with a much better upgrade path compared to an AMD system at this time.

Just about any way you go you'll have plenty of power to keep up with just a 6850.

I don't think any one is saying the FX-6100 is a BAD option in a budget build.
Especially if you can get it at a very good price.
It's not a terrible CPU and it's gotten a bit of a bad rap.
Just remember - there's a good reason is priced about the same as an i3-2120.

If you're thinking of overclocking add the CPU cooler price to the CPU price and then compare that amount to the Intel CPUs.

chad_agwing

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Hmm...

How would an overclocked (by multiplier) FX 4100 and FX 6100 fare against a stock 3-2120?

I'm not buying a separate cooler. Just Mobo, CPU and RAM, we can disregard the mobo for now.