Anyones hard drive CLicking?????? Mine is!!!!!

G

My pc is on A LOT

sometimes when im wathcing a movie or something
my hard drive makes this loud CLICK then sounds like when it first powers on the cache or whatever..

Why is this
i checked my power settings and its set to NEVER power down
and im using the pc , its active when it happens

Its a Western Digital 14 gig Hdd ata 66..

Weird? yes/no

maybe its dying..

G

maybe its a "crap post" detector. most ppl i know could use one (or two or three or four) of those.....

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: cape does not enable user to fly.

G

My year and half of 10 gig WD Caviar died just few days ago with clicks. The first symptom occurred about 6 months ago when the drive clicked loudly and the rpm wobbled for a moment. That happened few times in a space of week or so. It sounded like the drive started to perform the power on test during normal operation.

The following few months everything was back to normal, but about two weeks ago I got a bad sector on the boot block. This lead to very unreliable booting, i.e. the drive had to read the sector several times before Win started to come up. The result was click ... click ... click ... boot. I tried to fix it with scandisk which was powerless. Every time I tried to explore the disk it clicked several times. WD's DOS utility reported a problem with boot block and fixed it. Fine, I though.

Everything was fine for another two weeks, and I calmed down. Then suddenly on Thursday Windows run scandisk on boot time. Being a positive thinker I hoped that this was due to my girlfried powering down the 'puter without the shutdown command. Yeah right, the machine would not boot on Friday anymore. I slapped a new disk in, disconneted the old, and installed Windows. Luckily the WD still powered up and I got all the date transferred to the new drive.

When I proceeded to run the WD utility on the old disk, it started to make grinding noises and promptly died.

I was very lucky I got all my data rescued. I seems the process of hard disk dying can be very slow but we all know what the end result is...

Sami

PS. The new Quantum Fireball Plus AS is just fab compared to the WD. So, maybe every cloud has a silver lining after all :)

Sami

G

Your HD is getting ready to take a crap. Better back any important info up.

One day soon you will try to boot it up and all it will do is sit there and click. I've seen this happen on several WD drives here at work.

alphateam

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What I would reccomend is first backup anything important and then try to defragment the drive. If you still get the clicks call WD. Their drives have a 3 year warrenty and thye are pretty good about replacing bad drives. You can even goto thier web site and see if your HDD is still in warrenty with the serial number

-Alpha
Sorry I missed church, I've been busy practicing witchcraft and becoming a lesbian.

G

Actually my drive was replaced about 8 months ago

it clicked like this one is now...
but..........
Eventually whne i was formatting bad sectors and it was grinding

I thought WD made good hard drives???
GOD DAMN!

My old Samsung was great..
Maxtor i had a lot of trouble with too
but this is my second WD hard drive

Very Dissapointing......

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Acually you might luck out, my bud has a seagate scsi 15k 18 gig and it clicks its suposed to do that, i wouldnt worry too much until the drive starts to knock or grind is when you know shes goin, i wouldnt sweat it yet. To be sure do a suface scan of the disk if its goin youll find some bad sectors. Oh WD makes fine drives dont sweat it:)

SPUD

Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man:)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
WD makes great drives, you idiot, they are one of the most respected names in the industry, high performance, good durability, etc. Right up there with IBM, some people even prefer them. And what's this crap about the drive using "up CPU power "? You loose, you screwball, I'm glad he knows better.

Suicide is painless...........

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
heh.. thats nothing :)

My computer here at work is a P3-866 with a Seagate
15GB HD. This HD sounds like a damn flourescent light!
And if I put my palm on the top of the PC I can feel
it vibrating!

Yeesh..