Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel i5 3450 Ivy Bridge CPU for GAMING Opinions

Last response: in CPUs
May 12, 2012 12:16:17 AM

What does everyone think about this processor? If my assumptions are correct it should be more than enough CPU power to nom through most of the video games out there today... right?

I'm torn between going the cheaper route (i5 3450) or the more expensive (i5 3570k). All in all its about an $80 difference (incorporating a more expensive mobo with the 3570k -- links below of the two options i'm looking at) which is give or take a free PSU, the way I look at it.

I am in the process of building a new rig for Diablo 3 mainly but I play SCII and WoW and will be getting into many more PC games so I will be putting whatever I get to the test no doubt.

I will not be overclocking right off the bat and I prefer a single card GPU solution over multiple.

The thing that scares me most about getting the 3450 is I want my system to last a long time. I feel like with the 3570k whenever my CPU gets sluggish I can bust out $30 for a CPU cooler and start overclocking and be set for another year or so but is that necessarily true? How much longer do you think a 3570k will last in the long run than the 3450?

If I go with the cheaper route on my CPU I might splurge a little and drop on a GTX 670 because it looks like such an amazing card. No chance of bottle necking that GPU with an i5 3450 anytime soon right?

i5 3450 + GTX 670 should last me quite some time... right?

i5 3450 + Asrock H77 Pro4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

i5 3570k + Asrock Z77 extreme4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Thanks for everyone's help!!
May 12, 2012 12:57:40 AM

Yeah, the i5 2450 should be fine for any game out there, SC2 is the most CPU intensive of the game your going to be playing from the looks. My old system did not lag very much though (Core 2 Duo E7, Radeon 4580) on default, so with the i5 2450 you should be fine maxing it out with the 670. Also the only real diffrent between the 3450 and the 3570K is OC'ing and a slight clock up (not much your games will use though). And the i5 3450 will not bottleneck the 670.
m
l
May 12, 2012 1:06:24 AM

yojo98 said:
Yeah, the i5 2450 should be fine for any game out there, SC2 is the most CPU intensive of the game your going to be playing from the looks. My old system did not lag very much though (Core 2 Duo E7, Radeon 4580) on default, so with the i5 2450 you should be fine maxing it out with the 670. Also the only real diffrent between the 3450 and the 3570K is OC'ing and a slight clock up (not much your games will use though). And the i5 3450 will not bottleneck the 670.

are there any games that would greatly benefit from the 3570k over the 3450? if so, which ones?

all in all the 3450 is still a beastly CPU right?

EDIT: and its pretty interesting that you mention SC2 being CPU intensive... I currently play SCII on an early 2011 13" MacBook Pro that has a Sandy Bridge 2.3 GHz i5 Dual Core (w/ hyper threading) and I play with Medium settings but Texture Quality on High and it runs smoothly at 30+ FPS even during large fights... That makes me think I will have no problems with an Ivy Bridge 3.1 GHz i5 Quad Core with a hefty graphics card... My MBP has only the integrated HD3000 which is terribad compared to any discrete gpu... Any ideas if my MBP will be able to play D3 on decent settings smoothly? Not that it really matters because I will be able to find out for myself in 4 days.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 203 à CPUs
May 12, 2012 1:12:32 AM

Doggman9 said:
If my assumptions are correct it should be more than enough CPU power to nom through most of the video games out there today... right?
Correct. Today ... and tomorrow too.
It might not thrill the enthusiast 'spare no cost' crowd but it's smokin' hot pocket rocket for a budget build.
May 12, 2012 1:28:39 AM

WR2 said:
Correct. Today ... and tomorrow too.
It might not thrill the enthusiast 'spare no cost' crowd but it's smokin' hot pocket rocket for a budget build.

Sweetness.
m
l
May 12, 2012 1:42:22 AM

Doggman9 said:
are there any games that would greatly benefit from the 3570k over the 3450? if so, which ones?

all in all the 3450 is still a beastly CPU right?

EDIT: and its pretty interesting that you mention SC2 being CPU intensive... I currently play SCII on an early 2011 13" MacBook Pro that has a Sandy Bridge 2.3 GHz i5 Dual Core (w/ hyper threading) and I play with Medium settings but Texture Quality on High and it runs smoothly at 30+ FPS even during large fights... That makes me think I will have no problems with an Ivy Bridge 3.1 GHz i5 Quad Core with a hefty graphics card... My MBP has only the integrated HD3000 which is terribad compared to any discrete gpu... Any ideas if my MBP will be able to play D3 on decent settings smoothly? Not that it really matters because I will be able to find out for myself in 4 days.

The 3450 is still going to be a beast. But the thing is, strategy games are the ones that use the most of your CPU, I have a program that track how many cores are running, clock speeds,ect. While playing Civ V I use 3-4 Cores at 4.19Ghz, so yeah strategy games are the most intense.
m
l
May 12, 2012 1:48:23 AM

yojo98 said:
The 3450 is still going to be a beast. But the thing is, strategy games are the ones that use the most of your CPU, I have a program that track how many cores are running, clock speeds,ect. While playing Civ V I use 3-4 Cores at 4.19Ghz, so yeah strategy games are the most intense.

I gotcha. That's interesting. I'm pretty sure SCII is the only RTS game I'll ever play so that's good to hear.
m
l
May 12, 2012 1:53:24 AM

Doggman9 said:
I gotcha. That's interesting. I'm pretty sure SCII is the only RTS game I'll ever play so that's good to hear.

Yeah, and I don't think SCII Heart of the Swarm and so on are going to be much more intense, so you should be good on all fronts.
m
l
May 12, 2012 3:42:37 AM

Best answer selected by Doggman9.
m
l
!