Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

7850CF

Last response: in Components
Share
May 12, 2012 1:32:49 AM

Hello to anyone that can help me! I plan to eventually go cf with the 7850s paired with a 3570k (Going to be overclocked.) and 1 hard drive. (including the other normal computer components of course.)
I have been surfing the web a bit and i can not decide if I should get a 850w or if a 750w PSU would be enough for this setup. I also have difficulty deciding in the power supply companies. Somewhere around $100 would be good. If you can recommend a good psu that will last it will be greatly appreciated! :D  Thx in advance!

More about : 7850cf

Best solution

a c 157 ) Power supply
May 12, 2012 2:47:40 AM

850W would probably be better.
http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, NZXT... just to name a few. Check out Jonny Guru
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Here's some examples for you in the 800W - 900W range.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
Share
May 12, 2012 3:03:17 AM

I would go here and check out the actual requirements as you don't mention exactly what your entire system load is....component wise...some components are more efficient than others...this http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

will help you determine the minimum psu you would need...I ALWAYS spend as much as I can afford on the PSU...where the cpu is the heart of the machine...the POWER is the blood for that heart...as a rule...ALWAYS purchase the most power you can afford period.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 1203 ) Power supply
May 12, 2012 4:13:44 AM

For a system using two Radeon HD 7850 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 600 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 40 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

Some Suggestions:

The Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V (CMPSU-650TXV2), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two Radeon HD 7850 in 2-way CrossFireX mode.

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 for $89.99 ($79.99 after mail-in rebate card)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


The SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze Semi-Modular (SS-620GM), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 48 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two Radeon HD 7850 in 2-way CrossFireX mode.

SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze for $89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


The XFX ProSeries 650W Core Edition Full Wired (Bronze) (P1-650S-NLB9), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps and with two 6-pin and two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two Radeon HD 7850 in 2-way CrossFireX mode.

XFX Core Edition PRO650W (P1-650S-NLB9) for $96.99 ($81.99 after mail-in rebate card)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
May 12, 2012 2:48:55 PM

I've gotten a recommended 707w for my psu. Good in my opinion. Now I have to decide if NXZT or Corsair would be better.

Here they are :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(Top is NZXT bottom is Corsair.)
Now I have noticed that the 5v and 3.3v rails on the Corsair are a little better, but is it worth spending the extra cash?
They are both recommended by good sites, plus the reviews are nice. I'm leaning more towards the Corsair since it is known more for having quality psu's. The NZXT is modular and the Corsair is not.
m
0
l
a c 157 ) Power supply
May 12, 2012 3:12:27 PM

TopABC said:
I've gotten a recommended 707w for my psu. Good in my opinion. Now I have to decide if NXZT or Corsair would be better.

Here they are :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(Top is NZXT bottom is Corsair.)
Now I have noticed that the 5v and 3.3v rails on the Corsair are a little better, but is it worth spending the extra cash?
They are both recommended by good sites, plus the reviews are nice. I'm leaning more towards the Corsair since it is known more for having quality psu's. The NZXT is modular and the Corsair is not.

Both excellent choices. If I had to choose between those two choices, I would opt for the NZXT because of it being modular. When you get into a PSU of that size, it comes with a lot of cables (many of which you won't use) to find a hiding place for in your case. The modular design means you can leave out the cables you don't use. I don't see any issue with either's +5V and +3.3V capacities.
m
0
l
May 12, 2012 4:39:41 PM

the NZXT one above will be great, it's cheaper and NZXT stuff is reliable
m
0
l
May 13, 2012 12:04:35 AM

Best answer selected by TopABC.
m
0
l
May 13, 2012 12:06:15 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions.
m
0
l
May 13, 2012 12:10:53 AM

clutchc said:
Both excellent choices. If I had to choose between those two choices, I would opt for the NZXT because of it being modular. When you get into a PSU of that size, it comes with a lot of cables (many of which you won't use) to find a hiding place for in your case. The modular design means you can leave out the cables you don't use. I don't see any issue with either's +5V and +3.3V capacities.


I have decided to go with the corsair because of the nzxt having problems when it gets hot. I went on the site you recommended and the nzx got an overall score of 8 vs. The corsair's 9.5 :D 
m
0
l
a c 157 ) Power supply
May 14, 2012 7:04:01 PM

TopABC said:
I have decided to go with the corsair because of the nzxt having problems when it gets hot. I went on the site you recommended and the nzx got an overall score of 8 vs. The corsair's 9.5 :D 

You'll be a happy camper.
m
0
l
!