Installing an ati 5770 on an acer m3410

cheena

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Hello,
is it possible for me to install an ati 5770 on my acer m3410? is there enough room and will the 300w power supply suffice? Also do you know if it'll run games like BF3, MoH, MW3 and various other valve games. Thank you!
SPecs
AMD Athlon II X4 645 / 3.1 GHz .
4gb of ram
1 x TB - Standard - Serial ATA-300 - 5400 rpm
integrated ati 4250

The 300W power supply will not be enough to power the card you want to get. Someone will come in here claiming they got it to work on their 300W PSU, but chances are that they were not using a generic power supply that I am almost certain that is in your computer. Mainstream computer companies tend to skimp on the power supply to save money.

I would recommend getting a new power supply. Power supplies are not too expensive these days, but MAKE SURE TO BUY NAME BRAND. IT IS ONE THING A COMPUTER BUILDER WILL TELL YOU NOT TO SKIMP ON. 400-500W should do nicely.

The 5770 should do all those games on pretty high settings, maybe save for BF3, which you might have to settle for medium or medium-high.

What resolution do you play at?

cheena

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Thank you! Do you know any name brands I should look for when buying my PSU? I usually play at 1280 x 720. On my Acer ASpire 7551G-6477 I play at 1600 x 900. Do you think my laptop will be able to handle BF3 on at least low-medium settings?

Coolermaster, Ultra, Thermaltake, and OCZ are all very good and reliable brands. Sometimes its a good idea to make a post here at Tom's before you buy one, and then people would be able to evaluate and help you make your decision (the people here are really nice). At that resolution the 5770 should handle it very nicely at that resolution.

According to this here chart

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-gaming-performance,3042-7.html

Your internal graphics on your laptop are nice for some games, but BF3 is going to be a stretch (a very big one in fact) yet the processor in that is rather nice. According to the chart there, your card ranks with the Nvidia 8800GS and 9600GSO and ATI 3850 and 4670. On the BF3 website, the minimum specs stated are the Nvidia 8800GT 512MB (not the GS). Therefore you are below the graphics settings for BF3 on your computer, yet its worth a shot.

Here are the minimum requirements for BF3 from the website

http://www.enterbf3.com/information/538-minimum-requirements/