Sign in with
Your question

Composite Sync (Catalyst Control Center) help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 29, 2011 2:25:42 AM

Hello,
My problem started a few hours ago when I bought a new HP Pav HPE PC from Best Buy. I've been using an old NEC monitor for years but recently had acquired a Toshiba TV that could be used as a PC monitor so I thought I'd use that however when I plugged it in using the standard PC monitor cable all I got was a black screen.

So I went back to the NEC monitor for the setup and it worked fine. After the setup however, I noticed the screen was streched and when I checked the display settings under "Display" it read TOSHIBA TV meaning that the tv was recognized but just wasn't displaying correctly. (There's a question coming I promise) So I went into the ATI Radeon's utility the "Catalyst Control Center" and began looking through some settings to see if there was anything in there about TV monitors- here's where my problem started- i accidently clicked a checkbox marked "Composite Sync", the screen went black, and then the NEC monitor gave me a Video Input error reading "OUT OF RANGE", "H: 41.0 kHz - V: 51.3 Hz"

I then did a force shutdown/restart hoping that the setting didn't stick and when the screen got past the boot it went black again and gave me same error- so I restarted and entered Safe Mode w/Networking (which is how I'm running it now).

So finally my question: How can I undo the "Composite Sync" setting from Safe Mode if the ATI drivers aren't loaded and I can't access the Catalyst Control?

I've tried System Restore twice and both times it failed. I'm hesitant to try anything more to not dig myself into a deeper hole. Any solutions or advice is welcome and thank you in advance.
January 1, 2012 7:05:12 PM

Hi,
Have you solve this problem???

olincoatl said:
Hello,
My problem started a few hours ago when I bought a new HP Pav HPE PC from Best Buy. I've been using an old NEC monitor for years but recently had acquired a Toshiba TV that could be used as a PC monitor so I thought I'd use that however when I plugged it in using the standard PC monitor cable all I got was a black screen.

So I went back to the NEC monitor for the setup and it worked fine. After the setup however, I noticed the screen was streched and when I checked the display settings under "Display" it read TOSHIBA TV meaning that the tv was recognized but just wasn't displaying correctly. (There's a question coming I promise) So I went into the ATI Radeon's utility the "Catalyst Control Center" and began looking through some settings to see if there was anything in there about TV monitors- here's where my problem started- i accidently clicked a checkbox marked "Composite Sync", the screen went black, and then the NEC monitor gave me a Video Input error reading "OUT OF RANGE", "H: 41.0 kHz - V: 51.3 Hz"

I then did a force shutdown/restart hoping that the setting didn't stick and when the screen got past the boot it went black again and gave me same error- so I restarted and entered Safe Mode w/Networking (which is how I'm running it now).

So finally my question: How can I undo the "Composite Sync" setting from Safe Mode if the ATI drivers aren't loaded and I can't access the Catalyst Control?

I've tried System Restore twice and both times it failed. I'm hesitant to try anything more to not dig myself into a deeper hole. Any solutions or advice is welcome and thank you in advance.

m
l
March 14, 2014 11:53:38 AM

I found an answer to this situation in another forum that worked for me.

My situation:

I was having flickering issues and was messing around with settings in the AMD VISION engine control center. I checked the composite sync box and the screen went black. I expected the screen to jump back to normal after 10 seconds but nothing happened.

My solution:

1) I booted in safe mode with networking by pressing F8 before windows loaded.

2) Once safe mode loaded up I went to Start ---> Control Panel --> Device Manager.

3) I double clicked display adapters and my graphics card: "ATI Radeon 5700 series" shows up.

4) I double clicked my graphics card and a new window pops up.

5) There were tabs at the top of this window and one of them says "Drivers"

6) I clicked the "Drivers" tab and then uninstalled my drivers.

7) I pressed "Ok" at the bottom of the window and began to exit out of the windows.

8) I shutdown my computer completely and started it up again.

9) I let the computer boot normally and when windows loaded I followed steps 2-5 and under the drivers tab this time I installed my new drivers.

10) My computer rebooted and didn't have the black screen anymore.

I had to change the resolution when the computer loaded up again.

I am still having issues with a flickering screen though :/ 
m
l
!