Sign in with
Your question

Will these 4 components work together alright?

Last response: in Components
May 12, 2012 1:58:14 AM

Hello,

I'm not incredibly experienced with putting together new systems, and I'm not looking for a top of the line system, I just want to know if I'd be alright putting these components together. Are they compatible and will the system operate?

BIOSTAR B75MU3 LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32100

XFX HD477AYDFC Radeon HD 4770 Video Card - 512MB DDR5, PCI Express 2.0, CrossFireX Ready, Dual DVI, HDTV, HDMI Support

May 12, 2012 2:41:11 AM

with absolutely no doubt...YES...it works together just fine and should provide you an enjoyable computing experience.

All components are perfectly compatible and although you have very little (read tiny) option to overclock the cpu...it's not a K version or unlocked which is what the K means...it will perform fairly decently and is of a very current socket and although your video card doesn't have great gaming performance...it will work just fine for productivity and surfing..but as a two year old video card...it's not a very relevant card if you are looking for budget friendly and current...however if you have no intention of gaming anything heavy on FPS and AA...it will provide decent playback for hdmi and movies...and seems to be a stable card...just out dated a bit.

Still those components are a nice foundation for your build...you didn't mention what case you are putting your components in... just insure you have good airflow and a decent power supply... 450-550W minimum... allowing for future upgrades to better components if you should so choose...nice job

!
m
l
a b å Intel
May 12, 2012 2:42:54 AM

Yes, those parts are all compatible. But a couple things to note; the length and width of the HD 4770 will probably cover up at least your white (SATA3) header... maybe one of the red ones too. The older HD 4770 with 512MB of memory is a marginal graphics card when it comes to frame rate. But the processor choice is good.
m
l
Related resources
May 12, 2012 3:10:38 AM

Thanks for the replies. I was basically looking to play some games and edit some videos. I'm running SC2 on a single core now (with less RAM) so... I'm confident I should be ok in that regard.

My biggest concern was with the backwards compatibility of the PCI express. The 3.0 is supposed to be compatible with 2.1 but my video card is only 2.0 and I'm wondering if that will be an issue.
m
l
a b å Intel
May 12, 2012 3:22:43 AM

PCIe is backwards compatible. No problems. But heed what I said about the card covering your SATA3 header. You won't be able to plug in a SATA cable to your white header unless you find a low-profile right angle connector. Is this what your board looks like? http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/introduction.ph...
m
l
May 12, 2012 8:15:26 AM

Yeah... that's pretty much the same board. How big of a problem do you think the SATA connection will be? Might I be able to squeeze it in or should I head back to the drawing board.

BTW... I have some old Centurion case which is rather large.
m
l
a b å Intel
May 12, 2012 3:00:07 PM

NZero said:
Yeah... that's pretty much the same board. How big of a problem do you think the SATA connection will be? Might I be able to squeeze it in or should I head back to the drawing board.

BTW... I have some old Centurion case which is rather large.

You won't actually know for certain until you have the card in place. But from my past experiences, it can be a real pain finding the Rt. angle connector that (1) faces the correct way, and (2) is low-profile enough to clear the part of the card that sits over the header. I believe the white SATA header is your only 6Gb/s one on the board, if that matters to you.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
I always try to find a board that is designed to avoid that issue since I've had priblems like that in the past.
m
l
!