Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PC shuts down upon loading.

Last response: in Systems
January 28, 2012 4:49:00 PM

I just transferred my PC from one house to another. Everything has remained the same software and hardware wise. I booted it up for the first time at my house and it would shut down right after the screen that shows the MoBo info. I stripped the PC and put it back together. Now I can boot into safe mode and it seems to work there fine. But when I load normally, I get my desktop for about 1m then the entire thing shuts down on me. I've gone into msconfig and stopped all but the necessary processes when I boot up thinking maybe its a RAM issue and its "overloading". Still shuts down anywhere from the Windows screen to no longer than 2m at my desktop.

Specs:

Corsair 520W PSU
Gigabyte MoBo
GTS-8800
WD 520g HDD
Windows 7
Q6600

Ran fine this morning when I unplugged everything. I did not drop anything when I put it in the car. I don't know if its the PSU cutting out or something wrong with the RAM. I thought it was my HDD at first, but the fact that I can access it for a minute or two negated that. Any ideas? Thanks.

More about : shuts loading

January 28, 2012 4:56:45 PM

JM93LiftedYJ said:
I just transferred my PC from one house to another. Everything has remained the same software and hardware wise. I booted it up for the first time at my house and it would shut down right after the screen that shows the MoBo info. I stripped the PC and put it back together. Now I can boot into safe mode and it seems to work there fine. But when I load normally, I get my desktop for about 1m then the entire thing shuts down on me. I've gone into msconfig and stopped all but the necessary processes when I boot up thinking maybe its a RAM issue and its "overloading". Still shuts down anywhere from the Windows screen to no longer than 2m at my desktop.

Specs:

Corsair 520W PSU
Gigabyte MoBo
GTS-8800
WD 520g HDD
Windows 7
Q6600

Ran fine this morning when I unplugged everything. I did not drop anything when I put it in the car. I don't know if its the PSU cutting out or something wrong with the RAM. I thought it was my HDD at first, but the fact that I can access it for a minute or two negated that. Any ideas? Thanks.

If you PC blacks out really quick, then all HAIL to your PSU! It's dying... (from what I just read).
Score
January 28, 2012 5:03:07 PM

Its weird though. It shuts down at random times. It shuts down in safe mode, the MoBo screen, at the Windows logo, at my desktop, and loading safe mode. I have nother PSU here, but I'm not sure if it works or not.
Score
Related resources
January 28, 2012 5:07:05 PM

Hi JM, the forum is acting up on me... weird.... sorry for double posting. :( 

Anyway, you may also want to check your motherboard just to be sure... if you can... ESD may also killed your motherboard. Not sure though...
Score
January 28, 2012 5:07:57 PM

I have it booted up in safe mode now. Been running for about 2m no big deal. I can change settings and whatnot. I can access my files. I'm almost thinking it must be a RAM issue?
Score
January 28, 2012 5:09:27 PM

If it were ESD, would it not work at all? The fact that its random is throwing me off.
Score
January 28, 2012 5:13:05 PM

JM93LiftedYJ said:
I have it booted up in safe mode now. Been running for about 2m no big deal. I can change settings and whatnot. I can access my files. I'm almost thinking it must be a RAM issue?

Hhmm.. that could also be the issue. defective RAM.

Oh yeah... is there any dust in your case? The CPU heatsink, GPU heating up and ect...

It could be HEAT related issue.

Score
January 28, 2012 5:15:13 PM

JM93LiftedYJ said:
If it were ESD, would it not work at all? The fact that its random is throwing me off.

ESD could make your RAM go funny and cause instability to your entire system. Not joking...
Score
January 28, 2012 5:17:25 PM

One of the clips that holds the heat sink to the CPU is broken. So the fan isn't attached the best. Would it really shut down that fast though? I mean, the fan is attaced to my CPU, just that it has three clips and not four. I should reapply the heat sink glue stuff too. But if it were overheating, why would it be alright in safe mode and not normal?
Score
January 28, 2012 5:21:21 PM

Should I go get two sticks of RAM and see? I have Corsair DDR2 PC-6200; as long as I get the 6200 I should be able to use four sticks right? That way if its not the RAM, I can still use the RAM regardless.
Score
January 28, 2012 5:30:59 PM

Oh my lord... god help me...

Please, please get yourself a new build. Having a broken heatsink and other issue. That includes little gaps / air between your CPU, thermal and heatsink!

Even worse, it sounds like your system is crying for peace... it's dying...

Please detach your HDD and keep it SAFE!
Score
January 28, 2012 5:51:17 PM

laircouk said:
Oh my lord... god help me...

Please, please get yourself a new build. Having a broken heatsink and other issue. That includes little gaps / air between your CPU, thermal and heatsink!

Even worse, it sounds like your system is crying for peace... it's dying...

Please detach your HDD and keep it SAFE!

IMO thats the worst advice I have ever heard. Don't run out and get a new rig just yet. When you get into the bios screen what are the temps of the CPU and motherboard.
Score
January 28, 2012 5:55:53 PM

majorgibly said:
IMO thats the worst advice I have ever heard. Don't run out and get a new rig just yet. When you get into the bios screen what are the temps of the CPU and motherboard.

He got a broken heatsink and the pins could have also broke the motherboard! Having 3 pins in place could also cause problems to the motherboard, cpu or both....

Score
January 28, 2012 7:09:00 PM

laircouk said:
He got a broken heatsink and the pins could have also broke the motherboard! Having 3 pins in place could also cause problems to the motherboard, cpu or both....

I have held a heatsink on before. He does not need a whole new rig if the clips are broke just buy a new heatsink .
Score
January 28, 2012 7:24:03 PM

Welp, I have no idea what I did. But I stripped this thing right down to the bare case. I removed the MoBo, the GPU, and PSU. I mean, this thing looked the same as the day I built it. I reassembled it, booted it up, and it seems to work. Sucks because I have no idea what the problem was since I took everything apart. I still think it had something to do with the RAM. Either way, its been running for over an hour now and no problems since.

Thanks for the replies. =]

To add, I almost managed to fix the pins that hold the CPU fan on. Kind of a pain to get that to work. But with a new layer of paste and a tight fit, it shouldn't be an issue anymore.
Score

Best solution

January 28, 2012 7:25:46 PM

JM93LiftedYJ said:
Welp, I have no idea what I did. But I stripped this thing right down to the bare case. I removed the MoBo, the GPU, and PSU. I mean, this thing looked the same as the day I built it. I reassembled it, booted it up, and it seems to work. Sucks because I have no idea what the problem was since I took everything apart. I still think it had something to do with the RAM. Either way, its been running for over an hour now and no problems since.

Thanks for the replies. =]

To add, I almost managed to fix the pins that hold the CPU fan on. Kind of a pain to get that to work. But with a new layer of paste and a tight fit, it shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Vote best answer. Then thread can be closed by a mod.
January 28, 2012 7:37:25 PM

Best answer selected by JM93LiftedYJ.
Score
January 28, 2012 7:39:04 PM

I never meant vote me best answer I meant the other guy. Oh well.
Score
January 28, 2012 8:29:20 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!