True Source of Toy Story Graphics Quote -- Gates and XFLop..

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

So, the xflop fanfairies create the urban legend of Sony, the PS2 and
Toy Story graphics. Try to track down the original reference source for
this lie of an urban legend. You won't be able to because Sony and/or
Kutaragi never made that statement. There are thousands of references
to it, repeated over and over, but try to find out where it started.
This is the actual reference. Look at the date and look who made the
quote and what the claim was about:

http://wired-vig.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,40970,00.html?tw=wn_story_related

Jan. 06, 2001
"Gates said the 3-D chips in the Xbox would be three times faster than
anything on the market and offer nearly unlimited graphical visuals.
"We're approaching the level of detail seen in Toy Story 2," he said,
referring to the computer-generated kids film from Disney/Pixar."

Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

That's funny, a quick Google search wasn't able to turn up the Sony
press release, but a Google groups search showed people talking about
the press release as of March 6th, 1999. Well before any Xbox
announcements.

1. lmurata Mar 6 1999, 1:00 am show options
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.rendering.renderman
From: lmur...@my-dejanews.com - Find messages by this author
Date: 1999/03/06
Subject: Playstation 2 and "Toy Story"
| Report Abuse

I'm not sure that this is the appropriate newsgroup to post, but anyway
have a question to ask. It's about what Sony Corp. recently claimed in
their
announcement about the next-generation Playstation. They claimed their
next
generation console would do "Toy Story" quality animation in real-time.
What
is your response to this claim? I'm a bit suprised since even Scott
Sellers
of 3Dfx Interactive said that this a goal of 3Dfx (in other words, 3Dfx
hasn't achieved real-time "Toy Story" quality animation yet), and now
Sony is
claiming that they've achieved it already. I just find it hard to
believe.

Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Aha, I think this 3/6/1999 Sony press release is the source of all the
trouble:

http://arstechnica.com/cpu/1q99/playstation2-gfx.html

"The quality of the resulting screen image is comparable to
movie-quality 3D graphics in real time."

After that there were both references to the PS2 being able to produce
Toy Story or (snicker) Jurassic Park quality graphics by fanboys and in
the media.

- Jordan

Jordan

Newsgroups: comp.graphics.rendering.renderman
From: lmur...@my-dejanews.com - Find messages by this author
Date: 1999/03/06

Blig Merk wrote:
> So, the xflop fanfairies create the urban legend of Sony, the PS2 and
> Toy Story graphics. Try to track down the original reference source for
> this lie of an urban legend. You won't be able to because Sony and/or
> Kutaragi never made that statement. There are thousands of references
> to it, repeated over and over, but try to find out where it started.
> This is the actual reference. Look at the date and look who made the
> quote and what the claim was about:
>
> http://wired-vig.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,40970,00.html?tw=wn_story_related
>
> Jan. 06, 2001
> "Gates said the 3-D chips in the Xbox would be three times faster than
> anything on the market and offer nearly unlimited graphical visuals.
> "We're approaching the level of detail seen in Toy Story 2," he said,
> referring to the computer-generated kids film from Disney/Pixar."

Try googling "Newsweek March 6 2000 Toy Story graphics" and see what
comes up asswipe.

Blig Merk wrote:

> So, the xflop fanfairies create the urban legend of Sony

Sorry Blig, it had nothing to do with EKSFLOPBOXORZZZ FANFAGGITSS!!!11 as
you so desperately need to believe. It's just one of those things that got
picked up and passed around by gamers and the media at large.

Know what's funny? I was at CES when Gates made the Toy Story remark, and it
made me laugh because it was so patently stupid. I always just assumed Kaz
the Spaz Hirai had also used it, and that's what everyone picked up on.

Too bad only 0.0000013% of the world's gaming population will ever see your
little expose here on Usenet, and the urban legend that Sony promised Toy
Story graphics on the PS2 will persist. Mind you, that claim has been way
overshadowed by the PS3's Killzone 2 debacle now anyway. It's one thing to
blow out some PR bullshit about Toy Story graphics, but it's another thing
to try and pass off prerendered CGI as gameplay footage.

-Z-

Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

You mean this part?

" Many designers expect development costs for a PlayStation 2 game to
jump to at least $4 million. Part of that expense goes to creating "Toy
Story 2"- quality computer-generated movies..."

- Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Um, you do know that Toy Story "Animation" has been done in real time on
PS2 since Jak and Daxter right? It is called procedural animation and
it is used in quite a few PS2 exclusives.

Animation <> Graphics

Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Let us not forget the classic - "Saddam Hussein will buy a bunch of
PS2s for their super-computer ability."

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=21118

Why Iraq's buying up Sony PlayStation 2s
Intelligence experts fear games bundled for military applications

By Joseph Farah
© 2000 WorldNetDaily.com

Many American kids may be disappointed on Christmas morning because the
Sony PlayStation 2 they wanted wound up in Iraq.

Both the U.S. Customs Service and the FBI are investigating the
apparent transfer of large numbers of Sony PlayStation 2s to Iraq,
according to military intelligence sources.

A secret Defense Intelligence Agency report states that as many as
4,000 of the popular video game units have been purchased in the United
States and shipped to Iraq in the last two to three months.

What gives? Does Saddam Hussein have an extraordinarily long Christmas
shopping list? And why would U.S. military and intelligence officials
be concerned about such a transfer?

Two government agencies are investigating the purchases because the
PlayStations can be bundled together into a sort of crude
super-computer and used for a variety of military applications, say
intelligence sources.

"Most Americans don't realize that each PlayStation unit contains a CPU
-- every bit as powerful as the processor found in most desktop and
laptop computers," said one military intelligence officer who declined
to be identified. "Beyond that, the graphics capabilities of a
PlayStation are staggering -- five times more powerful than that of a
typical graphics workstation, and roughly 15 times more powerful than
the graphics cards found in most PCs."

A single PlayStation can generate up to 75 million polygons per second.
Polygons, as noted in the DIA report, are the basic units used to
generate the surface of 3-D models -- extremely useful in military
design and modeling applications.

"When I first saw this report, I was highly skeptical," said an
intelligence source. "So, I did some checking with computer experts I
know within the Department of Defense. From what they tell me, bundling
these video game units is very feasible."

Additionally, Sony will make the process even easier with planned
upgrades to the system. Beginning early next year, you can purchase a
plug-in, 3.5 gig hard drive for the PlayStation, along with interface
units that allow integration into the World Wide Web. If the Iraqis
have trouble developing military software for the PlayStation computer
system, they can probably find needed assistance on the Internet, say
U.S. intelligence sources.

What could Iraq do with such a primitive super-computer constructed
with Sony PlayStation 2s?

"Applications for this system are potentially frightening," said an
intelligence source. "One expert I spoke with estimated that an
integrated bundle of 12-15 PlayStations could provide enough computer
power to control an Iraqi unmanned aerial vehicle, or UAV -- a
pilotless aircraft."

Iraq has been working on development of UAVs for several years as a
possible platform for delivering chemical weapons, say intelligence
experts.

Bundled PlayStation computers could also be used to calculate ballistic
data for long-range missiles, or in the design of nuclear weapons, they
add. Iraq has long had difficulty calculating the potential yield of
nuclear devices -- a critical requirement in designing such weapons.
Networking these computers might provide a method for correcting this
deficiency, said one intelligence source.

So, why doesn't Saddam Hussein simply buy computers or workstations
from friendly nations or on the black market? While this is a
possibility, current United Nations sanctions prohibit the sale or
transfer of virtually all types of computer hardware and technology to
Iraq. However, computer-based video game systems -- like the
PlayStation 2 -- are not included in the ban. Iraq's scientists and
engineers have apparently found a convenient loophole in the U.N.
sanctions.

Defense experts say it is also relatively easy to smuggle PlayStations
into Iraq, since customs inspectors don't view toys as potential
military weapons. Jordanian and Turkish inspectors rarely examine
"small" shipments under 100 pounds, making it possible to send large
numbers of PlayStations into Iraq without arousing suspicion.

The Sony PlayStation 2 is one of the most popular all-in-one home
entertainment systems of its kind. At just over 4 pounds, it contains a
300 MHz-driven, 128-bit CPU. In addition to a plethora of new games
designed to utilize PlayStation 2's hardware, it can play games from
the original PlayStation's library, audio compact discs and DVD movies.

Not only has Saddam Hussein apparently found a creative way around the
computer embargo, he has helped to exacerbate the Sony PlayStation 2
shortage reported in many parts of the United States. eToys.com and
other e-tailers are sold out of the units and not expecting any more
shipments in time for Christmas.

- Jordan

furious gibbon wrote:

> it's just sad that when the console gets released he will disappear
> into some void (his mom's basement probably) and i won't have
> something to laugh at when i get home from work ....

Oh heck no. Bligmerk will have nothing BUT time on his hands after the Xbox
360 launches. Then he'll switch to slagging the games, scouring the Internet
for the sites that give the lowest scores to each launch title. The first
time any Xbox 360 anywhere breaks down or fails, as a percentage of all
consumer electronics do, he'll be here to screech about it. And the closer
the PS3 gets to launch, the more Bligmerk will be trolling the Xbox group
with spin-doctored 'news' about its features and games. (BTW did you know
that the "all PS3 games will be in 1080i/p" is a total fallacy? According to
this month's PSM, *most* games will be 720p, just like on the 360. Aother
Bligmyth bites the dust.)

And you might think there will finally be a reprieve from his hysterics when
the PS3 launches, but not so. Then he'll finally, at long last, be able to
compare one machine to the next. Even though he will never actually own or
play an Xbox 360, just as he's never actually played an Xbox. Not once,
ever. I'm not even convinced he owns a PS2.

This is his entire life. He could no more give it up than you could give up
breathing. Sad, isn't it?

-Z-

Robert P Holley wrote:

> Try googling "Newsweek March 6 2000 Toy Story graphics" and see what
> comes up asswipe.

Hey, buttplug, here is the entire article.

http://www.hipinteractive.com/cms/content/Newsweek-PlayStation21.pdf

No where in it does Sony make that statement. The simple fact,
simpleton, is that you will not be able to find a reference for that
statement from Sony about the PS2 because it never happened. It is a
lie, plain and simple, spread over and over like any bad urban legend.
It has become very clear that the xflop fanfairies resort to the old
practice of tell a lie enough times makes it a truth, a common practice
among the criminal minded. It is a travesty that you xflop fanfairies
are so weak that you only have lies to believe in.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In article <CMqdnTubZOisPZneRVn-vA@giganews.com>,
zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net says...

>furious gibbon wrote:
>
>> it's just sad that when the console gets released he will disappear
>> into some void (his mom's basement probably) and i won't have
>> something to laugh at when i get home from work ....
>
>Oh heck no. Bligmerk will have nothing BUT time on his hands after the Xbox
>360 launches. Then he'll switch to slagging the games, scouring the Internet
>for the sites that give the lowest scores to each launch title. The first
>time any Xbox 360 anywhere breaks down or fails, as a percentage of all
>consumer electronics do, he'll be here to screech about it. And the closer
>the PS3 gets to launch, the more Bligmerk will be trolling the Xbox group
>with spin-doctored 'news' about its features and games. (BTW did you know
>that the "all PS3 games will be in 1080i/p" is a total fallacy? According to
>this month's PSM, *most* games will be 720p, just like on the 360. Aother
>Bligmyth bites the dust.)
>
>And you might think there will finally be a reprieve from his hysterics when
>the PS3 launches, but not so. Then he'll finally, at long last, be able to
>compare one machine to the next. Even though he will never actually own or
>play an Xbox 360, just as he's never actually played an Xbox. Not once,
>ever. I'm not even convinced he owns a PS2.
>
>This is his entire life. He could no more give it up than you could give up
>breathing. Sad, isn't it?
>
>-Z-

I really don't see how he has the time to play the PS2 or any game machine
with all the biased research he does.

Velocity Transvestite wrote:

> Again, the Xflop idioticness kicks in.
>
> Read carefully...
>
> "We're approaching the level of detail seen in Toy Story 2"
> -Gates-

Is English your second or third language? He doesn't say the Xbox would do
Toy Story graphics, said that the level of *detail* is *approaching* Toy
Story 2. It's still a dumb statement, but only a fraction as idiotic as
trying to pass off prerendered CGI as gameplay footage.

-Z-

Zackman wrote:
> Velocity Transvestite wrote:
>

>>Again, the Xflop idioticness kicks in.
>>
>>Read carefully...
>>
>>"We're approaching the level of detail seen in Toy Story 2"
>>-Gates-
>

> Is English your second or third language? He doesn't say the Xbox would do
> Toy Story graphics, said that the level of *detail* is *approaching* Toy
> Story 2. It's still a dumb statement, but only a fraction as idiotic as
> trying to pass off prerendered CGI as gameplay footage.
>
> -Z-

Which is worse, showing off prerendered footage that is representatize
of the final product or showing off sub 30FPS garbage that isn't?

"Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message

> Is English your second or third language?

Wow, the hypocrisy!

Fred Liken wrote:

> Wow, the hypocrisy!

Wow, the lack of a retort!

-Z-

Bilgecunt wrote:

> You make Cygnus the Bringer of Balance look stable in comparison.

Don't ape my one-liners, you schlemiel.

SAVOR THE KILL!

"Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> You are such a fool. It is easy to see the gears grinding in your
> miniscule mind trying to figure out how to go from one of the biggest

What's funny is seeing him jump every time you post your troll droppings.
lol. Got'em good, you do.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message

>> Wow, the hypocrisy!
>
> Wow, the lack of a retort!

Wow, the abundance of dick fumes from your mouth!

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
<snip>
> Hey Fred -- prove you're not my bitch and don't reply to this post.

If that works expect it to become everyone's .sig file.

"Fred Liken" <nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> wrote in message
> "Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
>
>>> Wow, the hypocrisy!
>>
>> Wow, the lack of a retort!
>
> Wow, the abundance of dick fumes from your mouth!

Don't hate me because I'm...packed full peanuts.

Fred Liken wrote:

> Wow, the abundance of dick fumes from your mouth!

Wow, the obligatory "I have nothing to say so I'll make some sort of
homosexual reference" comeback!

Go on and have the last word. The fact I replied to you twice shames me
enough.

-Z-

Zackman wrote:

> Some might even call it... contradictory.

Have you noticed that Bligmerk is responding more and more to us when he
used to just leave his troll bait and run? Google groups has a new function
where they will email you when certain people post. All you have to do is
subscribed. Wanna bet Bligmerk has our posts sent daily to his email?