Need Help Fuji S7000 vs Nikon CP8700

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 17, 2005 11:25:16 PM

I've been reading the Google archives for this group as well as reading cnet
reviews and am still unsure of which camera to go with.

I intend its primary use for vacation pics, family pics, ebay pics at first.
I absolutely want to learn more, experiment with features and use the camera
more for hobby photography than basic stuff.

These two cameras seem to have many similar features, plenty for someone
like me to start with and enough additional features to get my feet wet with
more serious stuff later. There are two main things that I want and that's
the specific physical style of these two with a nice right-hand grip and the
pop-up flash.

$750 is my ceiling right now and I can get either of these cameras for that
price. It seems that the 6mp FinePix gets slightly better ratings, and I've
seen some gorgeous pics taken with them online, but the add-ons or
accessories seem harder to locate (at least on ebay). The CoolPix 8700 has
a huge number of available accessories on ebay and it has 8mp although I'm
reading that's not necessarily something the average user will note a big
difference about.

I have Photoshop CS and a photographer friend (she doesn't do digital so is
of no help to me with this) will help me with that and RAW images so the
software that comes with the camera, unless its *needed* to get the images
from the card, probably won't be used much by me.

Are there any hardcore differences between these cameras, differences that
would make my life harder or easier as I move up to a nicer feature set from
my current Olympus D-370? Is the ease of finding accessories as important
as I'm making it out to be with leaning towards the CP8700?

I know these "which to buy" questions primarily boil down to individual
taste but I could really use some opinions/pointers here. I hope to keep &
utilize (heavily after I've learned more) this camera for 2-3 years before
considering the purchase of another, possibly more powerful or feature-heavy
one. TIA

--
Tara
May 18, 2005 11:57:12 AM

"Roddytoo" <cfba06985@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Have you tried
> www.dpreview.com
> for reviews? You are on the right track, nobody can make the decision for
> you!

Oh I found that site about a half hour after posting here yesterday. Its
the best review site I've seen! Unfortunately it added to my list because I
felt the need to research some of the comparisons and that led to more
cameras and so on. I'm more educated but no closer to a decision.

--
Tara
Anonymous

Tee wrote:
> I've been reading the Google archives for this group as well as reading cnet
> reviews and am still unsure of which camera to go with.
>
> I intend its primary use for vacation pics, family pics, ebay pics at first.
> I absolutely want to learn more, experiment with features and use the camera
> more for hobby photography than basic stuff.
You sure want the tele version of the coolpix?
If you take more photos indoors, I'd go for the wide angle version, i.e
the 8400. Not sure what the 24-85mm equivalent from fuji is.
One other thing I like in the coolpixes is the best shot selector. Basically
you leave the finger on the trigger for a few seconds, the camera shoots 10
pictures, keeps the sharpest one and throws the rest away.
Don't know anything about fuji, so this is not unbiased. :-)

Lots of Greetings!
Volker
Related resources
May 18, 2005 1:25:06 PM

"Volker Hetzer" <volker.hetzer@gmx.de> wrote in message
news:D 6eqkd$9im$1@svr7.m-online.net...

> You sure want the tele version of the coolpix?
> If you take more photos indoors, I'd go for the wide angle version, i.e
> the 8400. Not sure what the 24-85mm equivalent from fuji is.
> One other thing I like in the coolpixes is the best shot selector.
> Basically
> you leave the finger on the trigger for a few seconds, the camera shoots
> 10
> pictures, keeps the sharpest one and throws the rest away.
> Don't know anything about fuji, so this is not unbiased. :-)

That's interesting. I read the cpreview on the 8400 but, and I know this is
very artificial, I don't like the shape/look of the 8400. If I get the 8700
(or 8800) I planned to buy a bundled kit that includes both telephoto & wide
angle lens with adapter & 3 filters.

--
Tara
Anonymous

Hello Tara,

The S7000 is quite a good camera. Fuji make much of their chip and the pixel
shape. When you shoot in RAW the resultant image file is interpolated within
the camera to 12 mega pix. It does a good job and knocks spots off its jpeg
options (which are still good).

The downside:

White balance can be a pain but any corrections are done in CS.
The RAW converter from fuji is basic and limited. I do all RAW conversion in
CS.

If I'm going to print A3, colorimetric aberrations become apparent and
needs to be corrected. Again this is put right in the CS raw converter. Make
sure that you have the latest version from Adobe to handle the raf files.

If you plan to shoot in raw, budget for an extra memory card, a 2 gig card
will hold 155 images on the fuji. The standard card that comes with the
camera will only hold one image.

I put the S7000 head to head with a Nikon E5700. I found the Nikon give a
much more pleasing result in the colour department, and the optics were
superior by far (Fuji take note). The only down side I found on the Nikon
was the chip is just too small. That's it.

The Fuji does not feel as solid as the Nikon, but my S7000 has been knocked
about and dumped in sea water, it still works!

The S7000 is good value for money, but I would still take a good look at the
Nikon.

I think it is very much a matter of personal choice. It would be helpful if
a Nikon owner could chip in with their own thoughts as well, particularly in
the optics dept.

John D.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:34:59 PM

John DH wrote:
[]
> I put the S7000 head to head with a Nikon E5700. I found the Nikon
> give a much more pleasing result in the colour department, and the
> optics were superior by far (Fuji take note). The only down side I
> found on the Nikon was the chip is just too small. That's it.

According to DPReview:

Nikon chip - 8.8 x 6.6mm (2/3 inch)
Fuji chip - 7.6 x 5.7 mm (1/1.7 inch)

The Nikon 5700 must have one of the larger chips, if not the largest chip
in P&S cameras. That, coupled with the 5MP rather than 8MP, should give
it excellent picture quality. The optics are well matched to the sensor,
and I find the net results very pleasing.

Cheers,
David
May 18, 2005 2:34:59 PM

"John DH" <nospamjohn@hydrogene.co.uknospam> wrote in message
> Hello Tara,
>
> The S7000 is quite a good camera. Fuji make much of their chip and the
> pixel
> shape. When you shoot in RAW the resultant image file is interpolated
> within
> the camera to 12 mega pix. It does a good job and knocks spots off its
> jpeg
> options (which are still good).
>
> The downside:
>
> White balance can be a pain but any corrections are done in CS.
> The RAW converter from fuji is basic and limited. I do all RAW conversion
> in
> CS.
>
> If I'm going to print A3, colorimetric aberrations become apparent and
> needs to be corrected. Again this is put right in the CS raw converter.
> Make
> sure that you have the latest version from Adobe to handle the raf files.
>
> If you plan to shoot in raw, budget for an extra memory card, a 2 gig card
> will hold 155 images on the fuji. The standard card that comes with the
> camera will only hold one image.
>
> I put the S7000 head to head with a Nikon E5700. I found the Nikon give a
> much more pleasing result in the colour department, and the optics were
> superior by far (Fuji take note). The only down side I found on the Nikon
> was the chip is just too small. That's it.
>
> The Fuji does not feel as solid as the Nikon, but my S7000 has been
> knocked
> about and dumped in sea water, it still works!
>
> The S7000 is good value for money, but I would still take a good look at
> the
> Nikon.
>
> I think it is very much a matter of personal choice. It would be helpful
> if
> a Nikon owner could chip in with their own thoughts as well, particularly
> in
> the optics dept.

Thanks John!

--
Tara
May 18, 2005 3:42:15 PM

Thank you to everyone who took the time to give me an opinion. I went to a
local camera shop to physically inspect & hold several models and ended up
impulse-buying the 8700. I was leaning heavily towards that model anyway so
now it looks like I have to get started on learning how to use my new
camera.

--
Tara
Anonymous

On Wed, 18 May 2005 18:10:12 -0500, Vic Dura wrote:

> IMPULSE-BUYING!!!
>
> IMPULSE-BUYING!!!
>
> Isn't impulse-buying fun :-)

Sure is. Nearly as much fun as impulse replying! :)
!