I recently bought new components for my pc -

Sabertooth z77
i5-3570k
g.skill ripjawX 1600mhz 4gbx2

Old components -
HD6970 MSI
Seasonic 760w Gold
2xWestern digital black 1tb

After installing the new components, I often get random crashes, not BSoD.

Crashes like my monitor would first go black then my system would freeze.

These crashes are random at times BUT not when im using it normally like surfing the net , watching youtube.

I even got crashes when im in BIOS.

I tried stress testing, but the weird thing is that my system would sometimes lock up for a sec and the next it's fine, its like drop in FPS. could it be my GPU?

I tried switching the ram slot , leaving only 1 ram but crashes still occur.

Everything is at stock, did not try to overclock.

I used AIDA64 for stress testing.

The locking up is worst when I stress test the GPU along with CPU , FPU , cache and memory.

My temperatures are fine, using Noctua NH-D14 with idle temps of 30~, load are 50~

GPU temps are 30~ idle and 50~ at load.

Please help!

THANKS

Here's what Asus has to say...
"Core i5-3570K (3.4G,L3:6M,iGPU,4C,77W,rev.E1)
ALL
If your motherboard BIOS version number is greater than the BIOS version listed above (801), then you will not need to flash your BIOS. However, if your BIOS version is smaller than the version listed above, then you will need to select and download the latest BIOS to update your system. We kindly remind you that there is a certain risk level involved in BIOS flashing, please refer to "BIOS Flashing Method". If you still have doubts, we will strongly advise you to consult with a PC Professional or your PC dealer for further assistance."
The latest version is 906 dated... 2012.03.30 update avaiable here
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABERTOOTH_Z77/#CPUS
Hope that helps.... says it addresses stability issues and ram compatibility issues

frostweaver

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Thanks for the reply .

I just updated my BIOS to the latest 1015 and the same thing still happens.

Currently Im just surfing the net and watching movies and had yet to experience crashes.

It seems that the most common crashes is when I stress my GPU.

I used AIDA64 to stress my GPU. What happens is that my whole OS would lag really badly like as if my FPS is 1.

I also tried using Furmark, 5 secs into it and crashed.

It is possible that my PCI slot is faulty?

My last setup using my GPU works perfectly, so maybe I could rule it out. Not very sure about it.

I also experience crashes when im in BIOS or when installing windows 7, but it occur randomly.

Yes , my new system has a clean install so I believe that its not my OS that is causing the problem as I get crashes in BIOS too.

Appreciate it !

harna

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
What's the history of your PSU? Did you upgrade it to? Or is it an older unit? My wife's pc behaved like this, took me a while to track it down. In her case the PSU dropped voltage.

donvitos

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
I bought GA-Z77-D3H with i7-3770 + 2x4 Kingstone 1600 ram.
No overclocking.
Same issues with random freezes.
Interesting thing is that reset button stops working. Holding power button still works.

I run linux ubuntu so You can cross out win drivers issues.

Now I am trying with cooling chipset because it sems to be quite hot. Its not very hot but sensors says 25C which is too low for that kind of heat.

Memory is new and I memtested them. Changed PSU to seasonic 460W. Turned off dvd & second drive. Upgraded bios to F13 (latest) still no results. Freezes occured in bios too.