Topping up a Spanish Vodafone Pay as You Go in the UK

Last response: in Technologies
November 19, 2004 9:03:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular (More info?)

Topping up a Spanish Vodafone Pay as You Go in the UK

I have been trying without success to top up a Spanish Vodafone
in the UK.

Has anybody got the secret of how to do this?
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 11:53:59 AM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:03:56 -0800, semiretired@my-deja.com wrote:

> Topping up a Spanish Vodafone Pay as You Go in the UK
>
> I have been trying without success to top up a Spanish Vodafone
> in the UK.
>
> Has anybody got the secret of how to do this?

You might be able to top it up online:
http://www.vodafone.es/
.... I assume you can read Spanish.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 8:29:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular (More info?)

michael turner wrote
>semiretired wrote

>>Topping up a Spanish Vodafone Pay as You Go in the UK.
>>I have been trying without success to top up a Spanish Vodafone
>>in the UK. Has anybody got the secret of how to do this?

>You might be able to top it up online:
>http://www.vodafone.es/
>... I assume you can read Spanish.

Thanks, but it won't work until I in person have used my
credit card to top up at a Spanish Bank's ATM

So - has anybody got the secret of how to top up
a Spanish Vodafone Pay as You Go in the UK......?
December 5, 2004 5:24:15 AM

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 05:29:55 -0800, semiretired@my-deja.com wrote:

> michael turner wrote
>>semiretired wrote
>
>>>Topping up a Spanish Vodafone Pay as You Go in the UK.
>>>I have been trying without success to top up a Spanish Vodafone
>>>in the UK. Has anybody got the secret of how to do this?
>
>>You might be able to top it up online:
>>http://www.vodafone.es/
>>... I assume you can read Spanish.
>
> Thanks, but it won't work until I in person have used my
> credit card to top up at a Spanish Bank's ATM
>
> So - has anybody got the secret of how to top up
> a Spanish Vodafone Pay as You Go in the UK......?

When I topped up my UK Voda PAYG phone while in Spain I used a scratch
card I bought at a Vodafone desk in the Corte Inglés, and I had to phone
the robot and choose international topups (I think) to read in the number
from the card. I would have expected it to be quite similar the other way
round.

Good luck,

Agustin
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 12:07:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular (More info?)

Agustin wrote
>semiretired wrote:
>>michael turner wrote
>>>semiretired wrote

>>>You might be able to top it up online:
>>>http://www.vodafone.es/
>>>... I assume you can read Spanish.

>>Thanks, but it won't work until I in person have used my
>>credit card to top up at a Spanish Bank's ATM

>>So - has anybody got the secret of how to top up
>>a Spanish Vodafone Pay as You Go in the UK......?

>When I topped up my UK Voda PAYG phone while in Spain I used a scratch
>card I bought at a Vodafone desk in the Corte Inglés, and I had to phone
>the robot and choose international topups (I think) to read in the number
>from the card. I would have expected it to be quite similar the other way
>round. Good luck, Agustin

Thanks.
I tried that - in a Vodafone shop. The saleslady agreed that I had
entered the number in the way instructed - but it still would not work.

Going back to Spain I was able to top up with cash.
But the story gets worse.
My non-Spanish credit card was not accepted for topup in an ATM.
So unless you
1 Get a Spanish Credit Card.
2 Use the PIN to top up first in a Spanish ATM.
You will not be able to top via the Internet in the UK or elsewhere.
- unless somebody else has found the secret.

Seriously though, I have been trying to work out why there is a problem.
I read that some countries will not sell a SIM without some form of
identity check. Others, like the UK, do not bother.
I am guessing that Spain has taken a middle way, as using a credit
card in an ATM with a PIN is an indirect route to having a tab on
who owns a particular mobile phone number.
!