Sign in with
Your question

Need a new PC Case? Any suggestions please!

Last response: in Systems
January 28, 2012 7:26:41 PM

I have got a Acer Aspire AX3400.

I have just brought a nVidia GT 430 1GB PCI-E 2.0 graphics card, good news is it does fit in my motherboard.

But its to wide for the micro-tower to fit into the case properly...

Im looking for a cheap case with a 400watt or more PSU mounted already.

The Motherboard looks similar to this... i want to keep all the extras at the back (usb ports, hdmi, vga etc...)

I want to transfer all that into a new PC case, just want a second opinion so i know im right lol...

Help please!

Dont mind cases from eBay or Amazon etc..

More about : case suggestions

January 28, 2012 9:25:00 PM

Looks like a mATX board but I would measure it up just in case. If it is you could buy virtually any mATX tower. If you can afford it I would buy the case and PSU separately.

EDIT: I might be wrong about mATX actually, pretty sure mATX is supposed to be square. Either way I'd measure the motherboard.
a c 259 U Graphics card
a c 402 V Motherboard
January 29, 2012 2:21:51 AM

You will need to remove the I/O shield from your Aspire to put in the new case. But, I think the Aspire does not have a removable I/O shield; it's just holes cut in the back of the case. If you don't have an I/O shield, you can still use the new case, but you will have a large opening that foreign objects can get into.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2012 2:35:10 AM

clutchc said:
You will need to remove the I/O shield from your Aspire to put in the new case. But, I think the Aspire does not have a removable I/O shield; it's just holes cut in the back of the case. If you don't have an I/O shield, you can still use the new case, but you will have a large opening that foreign objects can get into.

That's why I generally try to stay away from pre-made computers for that reason. I've switched out cases like that before and I've run motherboards without the I/O shield but it doesn't really work well and usually ends badly.

If you want to get an mATX tower I'd highly recommend the Fractal Design Define R3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b U Graphics card
a c 88 V Motherboard
January 29, 2012 2:41:40 AM

Smaller than an m-ATX motherboard , but it still may mount in an ATX/ m-ATX case since many accept mini-ITX boards

Google "atx mounting layout" to see the various stand off layouts and compare the board you have . It might or might not mount in any case
January 29, 2012 3:07:39 AM

clutchc said:

how will i know if it has an I/O Shield just so i can be correct when im looking?
a c 259 U Graphics card
a c 402 V Motherboard
January 29, 2012 3:21:59 AM

crampy92 said:
how will i know if it has an I/O Shield just so i can be correct when im looking?

If your input and output ports (video, audio, keyboard, etc) on the back of the case are in holes punched into the case, you don't have an I/O shield. If the ports pass thru a silver rectangular insert in the back of the case you do.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Several_atx_io_shield...
January 29, 2012 10:46:37 AM

Dunno if it's mini ITX or mATX, pretty sure they are both square normally.
a c 259 U Graphics card
a c 402 V Motherboard
January 29, 2012 4:44:35 PM

As far as the case, I can't say because I never heard of that brand before. And usually the PSUs that come with most low end cases aren't true to their rating. I would wait until you can afford a brand name case and a seperate brand name PSU.

But more importantly, if that picture is a true representation of the motherboard that is in your Acer, it appears to be a non-standard OEM board built strictly for that slim-line case. It doesn't appear to be an ATX or miniAtx. So I don't think it will fit any cases you find. I may be wrong, but it looks odd in its shape and component placement.
January 29, 2012 5:53:21 PM

clutchc said:
As far as the case, I can't say because I never heard of that brand before. And usually the PSUs that come with most low end cases aren't true to their rating. I would wait until you can afford a brand name case and a seperate brand name PSU.

But more importantly, if that picture is a true representation of the motherboard that is in your Acer, it appears to be a non-standard OEM board built strictly for that slim-line case. It doesn't appear to be an ATX or miniAtx. So I don't think it will fit any cases you find. I may be wrong, but it looks odd in its shape and component placement.

Well what ill do tonight is take a picture of my motherboard and show you so you can deffo be sure! :)  thanks for all your help :)  :hello: 
!