Sign in with
Your question

Power cable on pc causing interference when I connect pc to an guitar amp. When

Last response: in Components
May 12, 2012 8:21:35 AM

Hello,
I am getting interference from the mains from my laptop when I plug my Laptop into a Guitar Amplifier. When the laptop runs on battery I have none. What do I need to do? Do I need a better power Cable?
a b ) Power supply
May 12, 2012 9:20:11 AM

are you running the laptop and amp on the same plug (IE extension lead or same faceplate in the wall). if you have a surge suppresor/protector try using that.
I'm no electrical guy but it's just a thought, maybe it will stop the interference between the two going down the power.
a b ) Power supply
a b D Laptop
May 12, 2012 11:38:31 AM

most times it not the laptop but the ac to dc brick. there a transformer in that brick and it does make an electrical field. you can try and move it away from your amp and see if that helps.
Related resources
May 12, 2012 11:59:36 AM

You need a power conditioner / noise suppersor. Try to bring a true earth ground to your guitar amp. I was getting noise from my cable box to my behringer amp until i got a suppressor
May 13, 2012 6:40:47 AM

jwk3 said:
are you running the laptop and amp on the same plug (IE extension lead or same faceplate in the wall). if you have a surge suppresor/protector try using that.
I'm no electrical guy but it's just a thought, maybe it will stop the interference between the two going down the power.

I have tried it in different wall sockets away from each other but its just the same
May 13, 2012 6:42:49 AM

shawn808 said:
You need a power conditioner / noise suppersor. Try to bring a true earth ground to your guitar amp. I was getting noise from my cable box to my behringer amp until i got a suppressor

I will google suppressors to see what I need. Ta
!