Sign in with
Your question
Solved

High temps after new build, what to replace?

Last response: in Systems
January 28, 2012 7:45:11 PM

Ok I am really annoyed now, spent the past week trying to get temps down and nothing seems to be helping.

My new build:

CPU - i7-2600k
Motherboard - Asus Z68 pro
Ram - Gskill Sniper 1866 8gb
HSF - Hyper 212 evo with push/pull using the same fans from factory, believe they max at 82cfm
HDD - Spinpoint 1tb HDD Hd103sj x2
SSD - Crucial M4 128gb
PSU - XFX PRO750W XXX
GPU - Gigabyte 6850
Case - Cooler Master Storm Scout with an upgraded top exhaust fan from xigmatech and added a front fan in the drive bay rated at 60cfm

I have had a 2600k/p67/ hyper 212+ build in the same room, same case and had idle temps around 30-33 with load temps with prime 95 at 70 max.

Now this time, I have a hyper 212 evo with push/pull, and i am getting 36-40 idle and touch 65 at stock speed and touch 70 in 5 mins at OC at 4.3,vcore@1.25 and go over 80 in 15 mins at which point i turn it off.

I have heatsinked it more times i can count now, barely got any difference.

Tried cooler master paste, AS5 and antec formula 6. not much difference in temps.

Tried opening the side window and blowing a fan against it and got maybe a drop of 1-2 degrees.

Please help, this is getting really annoying now.

Also does changing phase control, load line calibration affect the temps much? I set mine to Extreme/Ultra high to see if it did but didn't notice any difference.

So my question is,

- new heatsink? water-cooling? what do i have to do?
- can the ram or power supply cause high temps?
January 28, 2012 11:46:59 PM

Well, it might be that you have it overclocked too high. Lot's of things affect the temperature of the system such as:
1. Where you live, if you live in a hot place, the computer is going to be hotter
2. If any wires are obstructing the flow of air through your case
3. If fans are messing up the air flow
4. The CPU can also matter (i'm pretty sure some CPU chips are better than others even if they're the same type)

Right now, if I were you, I would go with a new heatsink and fan. After some research, I would recommend you try going with air cooling still, but with one of these coolers:

Spire TherMax Eclipse II
http://www.amazon.com/Spire-TherMax-Eclipse-SP984B1-V2-...

or

Noctua NH-C14
http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Sockets-Heatpipe-2x140mm-B...
m
l
January 28, 2012 11:52:52 PM

This may seem basic, but double check to make sure the push/pull fans on your cooler are flowing in the same direction.
m
l
Related resources
January 29, 2012 12:02:33 AM

vollman1 said:
This may seem basic, but double check to make sure the push/pull fans on your cooler are flowing in the same direction.

They are actually flowing in the same direction, I bought the same exact fan that comes with the 212 evo to do a push/pull. I have a enermax @60cfm in front about 7 inches away pulling air in towards the cpu cooler, and then after that

Evo 120 fan >> heatsink >> evo 120 fan >> case exhaust

i also have another exhaust on top of the heatsink.

My ambient temps are at about 23-24 C.

Is the NH-C14 better than the nh-d14?

I am willing to spend around a 100 dollars
m
l
January 29, 2012 12:06:51 AM

r0aringdrag0n said:
Well, it might be that you have it overclocked too high. Lot's of things affect the temperature of the system such as:
1. Where you live, if you live in a hot place, the computer is going to be hotter
2. If any wires are obstructing the flow of air through your case
3. If fans are messing up the air flow
4. The CPU can also matter (i'm pretty sure some CPU chips are better than others even if they're the same type)

Right now, if I were you, I would go with a new heatsink and fan. After some research, I would recommend you try going with air cooling still, but with one of these coolers:

Spire TherMax Eclipse II
http://www.amazon.com/Spire-TherMax-Eclipse-SP984B1-V2-...

or

Noctua NH-C14
http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Sockets-Heatpipe-2x140mm-B...

1. ambient temps at 23-24 C at most, air conditioner is set at 69F at all times.
2. There are no wires blocking airflow, spent a lot of time making sure all the wires were tucked
3. How do i check the fans? When i put my hand on the other side, I can feel a great amount of air.

Is the NH-C14 better than the NH-D14?

Another question I have is that, can a faulty power supply cause high temps like this?

Thank you for your help
m
l
January 29, 2012 12:09:59 AM

You have a good cooler. I would hate for you to throw money at the problem and not get any results. I think that the difference in the temps of the two coolers is under 10'C.

Unless you have a defective cooler, it is something else.
m
l
January 29, 2012 12:10:56 AM

crazynuts16 said:
1. ambient temps at 23-24 C at most, air conditioner is set at 69F at all times.
2. There are no wires blocking airflow, spent a lot of time making sure all the wires were tucked
3. How do i check the fans? When i put my hand on the other side, I can feel a great amount of air.

Is the NH-C14 better than the NH-D14?

Another question I have is that, can a faulty power supply cause high temps like this?

Thank you for your help

Most fans on the side have an arrow showing which way the air will be moving, see if they are in the correct places. You want all the fans to be generally going the same way (normally enter from the bottom front and leave through the top back), check for your HSF too.

I would go with the Spire HSF first since it is ranked #1 on Frosty Tech's top Intel Heatsinks:
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm
m
l
January 29, 2012 12:12:25 AM

vollman1 said:
You have a good cooler. I would hate for you to throw money at the problem and not get any results. I think that the difference in the temps of the two coolers is under 10'C.

Thank you for reminding me! OP:
Can you switch the HSF from the i7 build that has low temperatures to the build with high temperatures? If you can, do so, and see if the temps are lower. If they are, then you know it's a defective heatsink that is causing the problem
m
l
January 29, 2012 12:16:33 AM

vollman1 said:

Could a faulty power supply cause any of this? What other components can cause this? I THINK i have heard the power supply make a ticking noise sometimes, could very well be imagining it.
m
l
January 29, 2012 12:23:36 AM

r0aringdrag0n said:
Thank you for reminding me! OP:
Can you switch the HSF from the i7 build that has low temperatures to the build with high temperatures? If you can, do so, and see if the temps are lower. If they are, then you know it's a defective heatsink that is causing the problem

That was my old build but i gave it away to a friend of mine and then bought this one.

That one had the 212+, shouldn't the evo be a better cooler?
m
l
January 29, 2012 12:27:29 AM

Yes the EVO should be better, however, the heatsink could have been damaged or the fans aren't spinning properly...or even the CPU isn't the best for overclocking. I would check to see if you could find any fans messing with the airflow and if not, you can always try the Spire TherMax Eclipse II HSF
m
l
January 29, 2012 12:28:51 AM

How can I make sure that the fans aren't messing up with the airflow, i did the side window open test with a fan blowing at it and observed a less than 2-3 degree drop.
m
l
January 29, 2012 12:33:49 AM

You have other fans on the computer right? Look at the side of the fan and it should have an arrow showing the direction of the air flow, if the fans were placed so that they blew at each other, that could cause some disturbance in the airflow
m
l
January 29, 2012 12:36:15 AM

oh ok, i'll make sure that the fans are blowing in the right direction.

I rule i have always followed is that the company logo is the intake side, I'll just check
m
l
January 29, 2012 12:37:57 AM

I just also thought of doing a prime95 to see what was going on, as soon as i hit test at blend, it hit 75 without hesitation and kept going.

this is at stock speed, goes upto 3.5 only and hits 75??
m
l
January 29, 2012 12:49:25 AM

If the fans are flowing in the same direction, the next thing to check is the application of the thermal grease.

You said that you reseated the cooler several times, yes?

If so, did you clean the old grease off?

Did you make sure to apply only a pea sized amount?

Did you make sure not to touch the surface of the cpu and the cooler plate?

Did you make sure that there is no foreign object(s) in the grease (hair, dust, rat toenails, etc.)?

I expect that you did all of these, but I have to ask.
m
l
January 29, 2012 1:10:03 AM

Ok,

Reseated one more time. I'll list all the steps even the small ones, so let me know if i missed anything

1. Shut down, turn off psu, unplug everything expect the psu cable to keep it grounded.

2. use static strap, unplug hsf fans, remove them.

3. Remove heatsink, unscrew using the cross method to get equal torque on each screw

4. clean both the cpu and heat sink using q-tips and 99% rubbing alcohol

5. tint the heatsink surface using as5 in all directions, remove as5 using a lint free cloth.

6. apply a thin vertical line on the cpu, seat the heatsink being careful to not it move much once its seated.

7. screw it back using the cross method

8. plug fans back in, attach them back. intake from front,exhaust out the back.

Did not touch any surfaces directly with hands, blew compressed air on heat sink and cpu after cleaning to ensure any dust particles blew away.

idle temps at 36-37 right now
m
l
January 29, 2012 1:13:26 AM

those are not bad temps so far. How about under 100% load?
m
l
January 29, 2012 1:14:18 AM

Those seem like better temperatures, although I expected lower temps since my stock is running at around 38C
m
l
January 29, 2012 1:20:35 AM

ran prime95 right now at blend, touched 75 in less than 2 minutes :( 

shut if off after it hit 75
m
l
January 29, 2012 1:25:25 AM

Which monitoring program(s) are you using for checking temps?
m
l
January 29, 2012 1:28:05 AM

I am using RealTemp 3.70, Hardware Monitor and the asus motherboard monitor.

HW monitor and real temp agree with each other, asus monitor is about 10deg lower because i believe that measures the tcase.
m
l
January 29, 2012 1:29:20 AM

I use core temp
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
I know core temp says my temperature is at 38C while in the motherboard BIOS it says its at 50C, which is certainly a big difference. Try out core temp to see if the temperatures are different
m
l
January 29, 2012 1:30:22 AM

Oh yeah, i installed core temp too, prefer real temp over that but core temp and real temp agree with each other.
m
l
January 29, 2012 1:32:22 AM

at full, core temp gives me extra info such as CPU power at 93 watts, vid 1.36 while hw monitor says that vcore is 1.32.

is vid and vcore the same thing?
m
l
January 29, 2012 1:32:46 AM

In that case, I would recommend you exchange the Hyper 212 EVO for another saying that the one you got was defective and not properly keeping your computer cool, they'll give u another one and you can see if its the heatsink or it's something else
m
l
January 29, 2012 1:35:45 AM

Go for returning the cooler imo. Nothing lost but the gas money and we'll rule one variable out (hopefully).
m
l
January 29, 2012 1:38:36 AM

Oh in case I didn't mention it, I thought I did but I have already done that once. Noticed no difference in temps. Maybe couple degrees but that could just be me wanting to believe that it helped.
m
l
January 29, 2012 1:42:03 AM

The cooler is still running at extremely high temperatures...I would exchange it for another EVO and see if the temperatures are the same
m
l
January 29, 2012 8:15:38 AM

Update:

Went to frys, returned the evo.

Bought a Corsair H80 instead, decided to play with watercooling to just eliminate if my cooler was at fault or i should be looking at some other component.

Temps dropped to 30-31 idle, running prime 95 right now, 5 mins in my max is at 56

I have a question about the airflow and other watercoolers.

Is there any other watercooler i can get in the 100-150 range?

Right now i have the radiator mounted to the top back exhaust place, its pulling air from the case and blowing it out the back, theres another fan right on top thats blowing air towards the intake for the radiator

Theres another intake fan about 7 inches across the radiator pulling air in, and another 140 intake in lower front

I have 2 spare fans, a 120 80 cfm and a 140 60 cfm spare, should i plug them in anywhere? is there anyway i can improve temps?

Thanks a lot guys, you have been a great help..

Are these temps bad for the h80 though?

I dont think i can fit in the h100 in my system as there is only space for one 120 in the back and one 140/120 on top.

the other watercooler i was debating was the antec 920, is there any other one you guys recommend?
m
l
January 29, 2012 8:58:21 AM

"Ram - Gskill Sniper 1866 8gb"

That could be your problem I had G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL.

Every time i gamed on it, the comp would shutdown and restart. I have a Fractal R3 case with 2 120mm fans at full speed and COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus with 2 fans on it. The CPU tems would not exceed 50c and the GPu temps would not exceed 70c. However, the comp still crashed. I did the Mem86+ test on each of the G Skill sticks for 12 hours each. Changed the slots and repeated the test and nothing...Ran Prime 95 and Furmark as well and they were for over 14 hours. PC ran fine and no issues.

However, everytime I ran games such as Crysis 2 or Battlefield, the PC would crash. Nearly lost it trying to figure out what the problem was. Finally borrowed friends RAM (G.Skill G3-10600CL9D) and gamed on it..guess what...no crashes....The earlier RAM had heat sinks and my friends is naked RAM. It leads me to believe that heatsinks which make the G.Skill look all fancy are contributing to the heat in the case and when truly pressured are tripping the MoBo sensors making my PC to shutdown.

I have returned the RAM and waiting for the replacement to come in. Once I get the replacement I will game again and see if it shutdown at all. With my friends RAM, there have been shutdowns due to the room getting really warm (cos its cold in NZ and I run my space heater)but very rarely. But when I leave the room door open and let the cold air in, ZERO shutdowns!

Now, I am still in the experimenting phase but I think the following are applicable to me:

1. Faulty Ram
2. Overtly sensetive GPU/mobo, which shuts down when the temp hits 75 C.

End of the day I have figured out how to stop the comp from shutting down, but haven't caught the true culprit! I am going to add one more fan to ensure that there is negaitve pressure in the case and hope that will fix the problem...else.will have to RMA the MoBo or find a way to increase the tripping point on MoBo and GPU.
m
l

Best solution

January 29, 2012 11:12:57 AM

I would be happy with those temps. Glad you were able to get them down. :) 

To get a couple of degrees lower temps, you can arrange the cooler fans so that they are pulling air into the case from outside, but you would have to play with the other fans so you had enough exhaust.

Personally, I changed the side fan to exhaust, with the idea that the gpu heat would also be vented.

I think that the H80 is a good fit for your case. The H80 has the same area on the radiator as the H100, it's just thicker instead of longer and cooling is about the same for both (I think that the H100 may be a couple of degrees cooler maybe). The next step up would be custom water cooling, but you would be out of your $100-$150 budget most definitely.

I think that you are fine now. I would just enjoy your new system. :) 
February 1, 2012 10:17:00 PM

PSU was making noise so decided to rma it, and RMAed the ram at the same time.

Need opinions on what to get in place of those.

Build List

CPU - i7-2600k
Motherboard - Asus Z68 pro
Ram - NEED OPINION - Want atleast 8gb, preferably 16gb
HSF - XSPC Rasa RX240 CPU loop
HDD - Spinpoint 1tb HDD Hd103sj x2
SSD - Crucial M4 128gb
PSU - NEED OPINION - 700 Watts at the minimum
GPU - Gigabyte 6850
Case - Cooler Master Storm Scout

Will probably crossfire in the future so need high psu

- Budget Left for PSU and RAM is about 150 dollars, can stretch it if its worth it. Have bad experience with g-skill so would rather not get that.

Thanks!!
m
l
February 8, 2012 11:17:48 PM

Best answer selected by crazynuts16.
m
l
!